Which steel ball size should I order. | The Slingshot Community Forum

Which steel ball size should I order.

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by Andy Ng, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Andy Ng

Andy Ng New Member

Hi,

Practicing and will be ordering some steel balls. Currently, I am using 6mm size steel balls for practice. Should I order 8mm or stick with 6mm. I have a 1mm thickness band now, I know it is on the thick side but as a beginner, we tend to order the strongest one but now I know that lighter bands is easier to shoot and maybe just a powerful.

Thanks and stay safe everyone.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  2. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Admin

I shoot 3/8s there not to expensive cheak out BC position.
    There not big enoph to hunt game with maybe pigeons but for targets or cans tome there the best

3. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Veteran Member

I shoot 7/16" steel for targets and hunting, but beware I shoot butterfly with fast bands, 7/16" head shoots for the rabbits are well enough to get ethic kills

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  4. AdamvVS

AdamvVS Veteran Member

Shoot whats most local fir you to buy Then you get to shoot the same size ammo
    Consistency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. StringSlap

StringSlap Veteran Member

It's a journey, Andy! Just buy something and try it. Trust me, you will buy something else. If hunting is your goal, then the heavier stuff. If target shooting, can chasing and plinking targets of opportunity is your thing, then 6mm or 1/4" is plenty. I started with 3/8 and they are my second favorite. Worked my way through 7/16 and 1/2" steel, 5/8 marbles, hex nuts, fishing sinkers, etc. Took me a year but I've settled on 1/4 steel. They fly laser beam straight and hit harder than they have any right to! Currently have 7000 of the little guys waiting to be set free!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Royleonard

Royleonard Well-Known Member

I shot 3/8 at first then 5/16 then 1/4 all for quite awhile then I discovered 7/16 and have stuck with that for over a year ,recover most of it in my catch box and I like how hard it hits and it is definitely lethal to most vermin!

7. nsfc

nsfc Member

I agree with Mr. sting slap. He seems half way smartish.

Try all different ammo. Not just different sizes but types. Store bought clay, hand made clay, plastic, marbles, jaw breaker(candy), frozen peas, steel/ lead, good rock found in good folks driveways, those weird glass grapes that are on your grandmas dinning room table, thrift store glass necklace beads.

This is what makes the sling shot awesome, because its so versatile

I would shy away from limiting your thinking of what size is correct, and shoot them all !!!!

That way when things hit the fan and you have to survive with it or you run our of ammo you have a back up plan. Buy bands and ammo and have fun.

never settle for common N.S.F.C.

8. Stream scoundrel

Stream scoundrel Member

I shoot 9.5mm, 8mm and 6mm mostly like shooting it all but in my opinion 8mm is the winner for both targets and hunting its a limited set up but so is every other setup ... know your limits and be considerate of shot placement aswell as your tube or flat taper. Small ammo doesn’t mean you can’t hunt!

9. Lacumo

Lacumo Active Member

I'm a casual plinker and wannabe can-killer. I’ve been shooting mostly 3/8” and a little bit of 1/2” for a few years now. I’ve found 3/8” to be fine for my non-demanding purposes. I shoot a little bit of 1/2” on rare occasions just for a change of pace.