What do you consider “accurate”? | The Slingshot Community Forum

What do you consider “accurate”?

Discussion in 'The Shooting Range' started by MacGyver, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:09 AM.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver New Member

upload_2021-1-11_9-53-24.jpeg
    It’s cold and wet so I’m not going outside. (I work in agriculture so if it’s not really in my comfort zone I don’t really have much to do anyway)

So I hung up a fitted sheet and done a little bit of slinging. I hung a couple of candies and a couple bottle caps and they got vaporized in short order. But then I got to wondering about consistency. Pictured above is a traced quarter on a to go tray lid and ten shots from a measured 28 feet. That’s with the “Old Faithful” Trumark, 2040 tubes, and 5/16 steel. I’m going to replicate the test with the “Hand Slapper 5000” and my little frameless during the day.

I know that isn’t going to win any tournaments or anything and I feel like my grouping isn’t anywhere like it was before but it is fun and it is coming back to me!

What do you guys consider accurate?

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
  2. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

What I consider accurate is being able to hit what your aiming at, the more you hit what your aiming at the better your accuracy.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

That is pretty good shooting but in competitions they all need to be in the center and closer (same hole) in some. Keep up the good work and take it to 33 if possible.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  4. MacGyver

MacGyver New Member

simple enough explanation!

5. MacGyver

MacGyver New Member

Thank you much! I really don’t have any intent trying to ever compete. I burned myself out on that with rifles and pistols over the years to the point where it got to be more like work than fun. I normally shoot at 33-35 feet in my little outside shooting lane. I’m just not going outside today . I don’t mind sweating. I am not going shiver if I can help it though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

I hear you on that cold. Not for me!

7. honorary pie

honorary pie Veteran Member

on a particularly warm day, I like to shovel the snow in my underwear..

Seriously though, I find accuracy to be what you make of it. for shooting a consistent setup Consistency in your shooting is more important. And obviously comes after accuracy.. but even if I can shoot a nickel ten times from 33', that doesn't always translate to accuracy outside of that space. so for myself who likes to shoot both at home and out there, If I can get a reasonable consistency among varied targets and distances, then I feel accurate, I don't expect perfection but I like to think if I can hit a nickel at 33 ', no problem, a quarter at 40, a can at 50-75ft most of the time.,,, But if I can do all that, then walk up to my second story bedroom window at 130 ft from my box and hit even any target in my box within a handful of shots, I feel accurate.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  8. MacGyver

MacGyver New Member

Here at home I think I’ve saw snow three times. When I used to work over the road I had to deal with a real winter but I certainly didn’t like it.
    I think I’m along your lines on perspective of accuracy. Keep good enough to make and keep it interesting but relaxed enough to keep it fun.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  9. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Well-Known Member

I totally agree with all comments on accuracy. On a hobby level, it has a different meaning to us all. Somehow we turn it into a grading system that we want to measure our progress and improvements. The only true scale we actually pursue is that of fun and enjoyment.

That said, for me personally, accuracy means hitting the spot that I am aiming at. Precision is putting the 2nd shot where I put the 1st shot. How big the target is relative to the amount of fun and enjoyment at the moment.

And last, will someone tell me what this snow thing is all about? I live in Charleston, SC. I can tell you all about wind storms and hurricanes, but now real sure about this thing called snow!

10. SonoftheRepublic

SonoftheRepublic Active Member

When I can consistently hit a 1&1/2 inch spinner 7 or 8 times out of 10, at 33 feet.

11. StringSlap

StringSlap Veteran Member

You'll be getting it soon enough. Just ask the folks in Texas and Louisiana!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. MacGyver

MacGyver New Member

They even had it here in Mississippi just not this far down. It was uncomfortably close!

13. StringSlap

StringSlap Veteran Member

Once drove cross country from San Diego to NY in the winter. Only place I saw any snow was Amarillo, TX!?

14. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

Just another opinion. Sort of relative. In terms of the absolute size of the target, distance and if stationary or not. One constant. High degree of precision in terms of accuracy. Consecutive hits in a tight pattern.

15. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Well-Known Member

There is another school of thought that doesn't come up much but is true. The size of your ammo will make the effective size of your target smaller or larger. Shooting 7/16" or 1/2" ammo will make tiny targets bigger relative to the diameter of the ammo.

16. wobblywill

wobblywill Well-Known Member

Yep Mr muz has it bang on , you can practice day in day out at your home with the catch box at say 10 mtrs and get very good accurate and consistent shots but put yourself out in the woods in the field shooting at random objects at unknown distances and it's a way different ballgame.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

17. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Veteran Member

accurate is hitting the closest to the center of the target, better if it is the first shoot (very important when hunting) from different distances, point of views, uphill, downhill, muscular memory and distance asses are stored into your "hard drive" by a lot of practice. Now consistency is repeated accuracy (a tight grouping) and overcome mental and muscular fatigue, important in competitions and in casual shooting either. A big factor that affects (rubber) so accuracy and consistency is temperature, small changes during the day such as 5º C makes a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

Accuracy is are you eating dinner tonight
    First shot ! One shot ! can u judge distance use instinctive shooting in aiming techniques at the same time with different slingshots then I believe you are an accurate shooter to me taking one slingshot and shooting over and over at 33 feet is boring as hell you do become very consistent and very good but that doesn’t have anything to do with judging distance and all-terrain obstacles just basic bean flipping and becoming accurate . So I’d say if you could hit the eye out of a squirrel at 100 yards you’re accurate Lol ok me at 66.6 yards is my best shot so far . I don’t think I could become competition shooter I don’t think I have the patience Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

Lol I should’ve read @Arturo Borquez post first what he said !!!! Lol makes me feel good i’m thinking on the same lines as a master !!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Veteran Member

head shoot, instant kill :cool:
    rabbit.jpg
    meal.jpg

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6