Variations in latex thickness: do they matter? | The Slingshot Community Forum

Variations in latex thickness: do they matter?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Sergeant Slingshot, Jun 23, 2021.

By Sergeant Slingshot on Jun 23, 2021 at 2:43 PM
  1. Sergeant Slingshot

Sergeant Slingshot New Member

A while back a friend of mine who works for Simple Shot had gotten a roll of their .7 latex. He's a sling nerd like all of us, and noticed a difference in the pull of the latex. He slapped a micrometer on it and to his surprise found that it was .66 thick on one side and .72 thick on the other. This lead me to putting a gauge on every roll of latex I own (over 100 at present count) and I was amazed at just how much variation they had. A roll of Celtic Catty latex that was advertised as .5 turned out to be .42. Several rolls of GZK latex were inconsistent.
    .58 black - .5
    .66 black & green - .58
    .7 black - .66
    1mm black - .95
    Today I got in an order of Simple Shot latex, and to my amazement it's one of the most consistent latex brands I have.
    .5 - .52
    .6 - .6
    .7- .71
    .8 - .77-.8 (this roll had the most variation)
    1mm - 1.14mm
    What does this mean for shooters?
    1) Don't throw a latex out until you've gauged it to see how thick it really is.
    2) slight variations in thickness can and do make a speed & draw difference
    3) Adjust tapers and shoot it anyway

Has anyone else done any latex thickness measurements and found surprising results?

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Sergeant Slingshot, Jun 23, 2021.

1. honorary pie

honorary pie Veteran Member

Nah, no measurements here, but I don't think that less than 1/10 mm could cause any appreciable variation in shooting. If your pouch ties and forks don't count for at least 1/10mm variance, and your draw never cants more than 1mm out of skew, then you're probably a robot. (Are you a robot?) I doubt we'll find any rubber made that meets the specs, but I agree, shoot that stuff anyway..

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    2. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Admin

I'm with pie . I just shoot the stuff ...I like the orange . If any of the other stuff feels to hard to pull I just cut it narrower.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Searcher_47

Searcher_47 Veteran Member

Just get from a reputable source like Simple Shot. I got extra firm from Amazon so as to buy enough to get free shipping and it wasn't any where near firm!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    4. Sergeant Slingshot

Sergeant Slingshot New Member

Everything I have is from a reputable, well known source in the slingshot world. Celtic Catty, GZK, Dankung, Catty Shack, Snipersling, and Simple Shot.
      It just goes to show that latex is an organic material that doesn't always come out right

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

I am with @honorary pie. Fire that $&!]] up. Just shoot it.
      Latex sheet is formed just like a plastic extruded sheet, if memory serves me right…... The entire thickness, all across the width can vary, but more than likely will have that same thickness the entire length. Watch @honorary pie video on cutting strips. He cuts the edges off to try to eliminate low spots, and cuts the sheet doubled. But it is doubled so that the same side alines up with the side it was cut from. Make sense? I need to draw it….

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1