Triple Slingbow Prototype and Build (anyone ever made anything similar to this?) | The Slingshot Community Forum

Triple Slingbow Prototype and Build (anyone ever made anything similar to this?)

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Access, Nov 25, 2020.

By Access on Nov 25, 2020 at 3:17 PM
  1. Access

Access New Member

I know I haven't posted in a while but I just finished a major design and was wondering if anyone else has ever made anything like this. My idea was to build a device that could shoot three times in the absolute least amount of time possible. I'm fully aware of the various devices that joergsprave and others like have him designed that can be seen in various youtube videos, even printed and tried some out myself. But I found that many of these devices had a feed system that had to be fine-tuned to make it reliable, and all required some form of action between each shot that slowed things down. What I came up with was a simple stacked design that had three devices stacked on top of each other, held together using two brackets at one end and a specialized stock at the other end. There are three seperate triggers but with sufficient hand strength, a finger can be placed on each (similar to a musical instrument) and then three shots fired off in quick succession, or even at the same time.

The early prototype seen in this video:

worked well enough that I spent some time scale the design up, and then around another week to print all the various updated pieces. Being mostly made of copolymer with only a couple metal parts, weight isn't really an issue (under 3 lbs), the primary downside of the device is the amount of time it takes to reload (with practice, roughly 30 seconds to load all three shots using a special tool).

The prototype in the video would fire a 131 grain projectile at 120 ft/sec, the larger version can fire the same 131 grain projectile at speeds between 140 ft/sec and 160 ft/sec (depends on the bands used), or a 220 grain projectile at speeds between 120 ft/sec and 140 ft/sec. This isn't as powerful as some of the devices I have designed, but it's about the most power you can expect for a device with a draw length of 7.5 inch draw length. The prototype would have a lot of problems penetrating much beyond a empty cardboard box, the new device can easily penetrate into solid cardboard targets I use.

I'll add some video of how the new device operates once I have a chance to make it, things are kinda hectic right now with both work and the various holidays coming up but I hope to be able to make some video outdoors demonstrating the various devices I have built soon.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Access, Nov 25, 2020.

1. The preacher

The preacher Member

Never seen anything like that before.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

2. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

That is bitchen! Would love to see more of the details. Well done!

3. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

I had remembered seeing multi-prod crossbows. I did find a 2 prod home made.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    4. Access

Access New Member

Here's a quick video I made to demonstrate the actual operation of this device, what is necessary to load it and such. It should be noted that it's been a challenge to get such a (relatively) small and relatively high power device operating reliably, it is still breaking parts occasionally but hopefully this will improve as I replace the key plastic parts with metal-reinforced ones.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    5. Access

Access New Member

Finally here is an outdoor video of this device as well as a few others. I only got a chance to show it with the lighter 130 grain projectiles, as you can see these tend to bleed off speed at anything beyond short range (won't penetrate the cardboard box which had two additional layers of cardboard behind the front layer). There are two single-shot devices shown in the latter half of the video, the shorter one has no problem penetrating the box while the longer one would often go clean through the box. I want to try to add some weight to the smaller projectiles, maybe design one where you add in a screw or some other metal part since the plastic is already solid in the front half, can't increase the weight any more by adding more plastic.