The Door Crasher (Spanish Target Shooter) | The Slingshot Community Forum

The Door Crasher (Spanish Target Shooter)

Discussion in 'Homemade Slingshots' started by Metropolicity, Nov 30, 2014.

By Metropolicity on Nov 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM
  1. Metropolicity

Metropolicity Veteran Member Vendor

I was inspired by Alfshooter's "Latch" slingshot where he up-cycled a nice brass door latch into a handle for a spanish style slingshot. Ever since I saw it, I have been on the lookout for some suitable hardware to make into my own latch type sling. I was at the local wood supplier and found what I believe to be a cast aluminum door stop bracket (correct me if I am wrong)

I decided to make this entirely out of Maple since the only 2" premade wood balls (at Lee Valley) I could find where made from Maple. Maybe in the next one I'll make it with different woods or something. I cut the ball in half and mounted it with a screw in the preexisting hole, it's not really needed but it's a nice finishing touch. It also put the centre of gravity on the point where my middle finger and ring finger, which makes it extremely balanced when held under and off pressure from the bands.

The 'trigger' area is carved to accept my middle finger and the ring and pinky nest together, this is held in place with two screws. My goal here was to keep the aesthetic clean as the wood ball was my starting off point, it being a nice geometric solid, the rest needed to be as quiet in terms of design.

The combination fork/grip 'plate' was made from a solid piece of maple board, 3/4" thick. 5/16" holes where drilled into the fork tips to accept a 1/4-20 threaded brass insert so I can threw in the thumb screws to attach the tabs. The index finger scoop was first made by sanding out a 1" semi circle then using files, sanding the edges round for a comfort fit but also matching the curves on the trigger area.

The thumb part was a bit tricker, I could of used a dome bit and scooped it out of the board itself, but I don't have one. So...I used a Fortsner bit and drilled a cavity into the spot where my thumb would go. Then I used a big counter sink to chamfer the edges. Then I took a 1" maple dowel and trimmed it down on my lathe to fit into the cavity. But before unmounting from the lathe, while it turned, I used a 1/2" sanding drum to make a dome divot into the end. Then I fitted the new plug into the hole and sanded till it was flush. A lot of work for just a plug.

I found that shooting it like a normal slingshot didn't work for me. I never got the hang of shooting upright and with no point of reference on how to aim, I have been shooting it like a PFS (soft shooting). I would anchor under my eye with my thumb nail up, then push the slingshot out to aim. In fact, pushing the slingshot out to aim is how I have been training lately and I like doing this more than drawing the bands back for some reason.

Anyways, I thought you guys would like this "repurposed" materials sling :)

MAR_1988.JPG MAR_1989.JPG MAR_1990.JPG MAR_1991.JPG MAR_1992.JPG MAR_1993.JPG MAR_1994.JPG MAR_1995.JPG MAR_1996.JPG MAR_1998.JPG MAR_1999.JPG

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
Eric Au is the designer and owner of Metro Grade Goods. A Canadian company dedicated to providing slingshot enthusiasts with uniquely made quality slingshots and accessories. Eric's background has a strong emphasis on industrial design and material process which is clearly reflected in his work.

You can purchase his designs on the Metro grade Goods website here:
http://metrogradegoods.com/

Comments

Discussion in 'Homemade Slingshots' started by Metropolicity, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker Administrator Staff Member Admin

Freaking awesome man!! Love it. :)

Thanks for the write up too brother.

2. Quercusuber

Quercusuber Veteran Member

Just "FANTASTICO, hombre!!" :D
      Great build, awesome pics ....What else one can say??
      Superb!!
      Cheers ...Q

3. Kevin

Kevin Veteran Member

Cool stuff!

4. PorkChopSling

PorkChopSling Veteran Member

That's super cool!! Well done sir!

5. Metropolicity

Update. After looking it for a couple of hours, I decided that the forks could be more compact. So I made a new fork/grip plate. The thumb hole was made from a really big counter sink bit. I was also able to inset a Cocobolo metro skull into the front.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417413593.066377.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417413604.583439.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417413613.853187.jpg

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    6. Ted

Ted Well-Known Member

Nice work. It looks very comfortable to hold. Good to see someone else using square-hole screws. They are my go-to screws, and I swipe them on a block of beeswax.

The fork/grip plate looks plenty stout, but I might have considered laminating it in case a fork tip decides to break off. Maybe purpleheart? You would get a cool concentric circle inside the thumb hole that way.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    7. DogBox

DogBox Active Member

Nice build! :) The Spanish boy's are gonna go 'nuts' over this!!! El Señor!

The revised edition with the skull emblem I like nicer and the lower forks!!

Can I ask where you got your 'Thumb Screws' from?

[Edit. added lines 2&3]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    8. PorkChopSling

PorkChopSling Veteran Member

Even better!! That shorter front is the way to go :) think I'm going to have go dig around in my junk box, well that is if I ever find time to stop and build a ss ever again, life of a chef.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    9. Metropolicity

I got mine off eBay, they were super pricey since they are aluminum and anodized. I bet you can find regular brass ones at your hardware store.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Metropolicity

I thought about it, and I found some other Stair Handrail Brackets (that's what this is after some research) and I am going to build a walnut one tonite. They are so simple since basically a block with some holes drilled in it, then some shaping.

The use of screws helps a ton for being able to assemble and dissemble. Robbie screws every time, all the time. :D

11. DogBox

DogBox Active Member

I can tell you haven't been shopping in Australia... I wish it was that easy :(

12. AZ Stinger

AZ Stinger Veteran Member

Crazy stuff dude, your like the Dr Frankenstein of slings LOL