Straight VS Tapered Flat Bands | The Slingshot Community Forum

Straight VS Tapered Flat Bands

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Sergeant Slingshot, Oct 20, 2021.

By Sergeant Slingshot on Oct 20, 2021 at 10:18 PM
  1. Sergeant Slingshot

Sergeant Slingshot Member

I heard Joerg say once that straight cut bands lose minimal fps compared to tapered, and last as long as tubes. Has anyone experimented with this at all? Figured I'd come to the hive mind before trying it myself.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Sergeant Slingshot, Oct 20, 2021.

1. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

I have entertained myself for a number of years exploring the nuances of flatband performance. There always seems to be another combination to try that will get closer to the Nirvana combination of high performance, low draw weight, and long life.
      That sweet spot may be different for each shooter.
      I currently favor 2:1 tapers cut to 1/4 my draw length with .50 to .60mm latex. I like the performance, the draw weight, and the life.
      But I also like to shoot tubes.
      Works for me.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 8
    2. StringSlap

StringSlap Veteran Member

The general consensus is that tapers shoot faster than flats. In my testing and from what I can recall from posts is that they do shoot faster, but not by any dramatic degree. The main advantage to me was getting good velocities with an easier draw weight. If you want bands with long life, Simple Shot black has consistently outlasted pretty much everything I've tried. One set had to have well over 600 shots before it gave up. Another long lasting one has been 100% Slingshot. If you want elastic that lasts as long as tubes, do what I did and use tubes! ;)

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Big Ron

Big Ron Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator

that's a loaded question i have tried them all and i think tubes is where i found my nirvana,cheap,easy to make and they last along time especially if you put the ptector tubed over where the tubes meet the frame

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

Tapers pull easier and look bad ass.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. andypandy

andypandy Well-Known Member

Only nerds shoot straight cuts

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    6. honorary pie

honorary pie Veteran Member

Pffft.. if God wanted us to shoot tapers, he'd have made rulers Pizza shaped.. tapers are for Commies and eccentric hipsters.

Straight cuts or tubes,,, both if you're cool enough.. on a pickle fork. TTF..

• Funny Funny x 6
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    7. pedroito

pedroito New Member

logically, tapers should break earlier, but also near the pouch, so it sounds safer too

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
    8. Sandstorm

Sandstorm New Member

Straight cut PFS TTF 1/2” steel held with your feet and drawn with your teeth. That’s how you take down Godzilla.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Samurai Samoht

Samurai Samoht Well-Known Member

Been using 3/4” straight cut bands for years. Plenty of speed and longevity for me. I cut them long so they are not maxed out and they still send 3/8” steel down range with authority. [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Veteran Member

I usually taper 1 : 3/4 ... 0.55 GZK latex last a lot ... matching ammo is important for life span

11. Killian white

Killian white New Member

ive found a little more peppyness out of tapers, ive grown accustomed to do them, but when im lazy i cut straights and do not worry about not having that little extra. in the end only thing im doing is blasting targets and cans, when i feel even more lazy, i turn in to my stash of beautiful and snappy 1632, cut the length i need and start shooting... ive proven myself i can take little birds if i need to with tapers, flat cuts or even little 1632 and 6 mm ammo ans 8mm and marbles.
      also, ive made my farthest shots (about 35 m is my top score) with relative ease with all configurations.

for variety sake, im still experimenting with tapers and different latex thickneses... as said before it is another part of keeping this awesome hobby interesting .

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    12. pedroito

pedroito New Member

thre is a video test from gamekeeper john and anoher from https://slingshooting.com on youtube (chinese dude) if you're curious

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1