Sloped tips, straight wrist | The Slingshot Community Forum

Sloped tips, straight wrist

Discussion in 'The PFS' started by Sergeant Slingshot, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Sergeant Slingshot

Sergeant Slingshot New Member

I've always shot a pfs exclusively butterfly style. I've recently switched over to short draw with everything except a pfs. I can't tweak without it being painful in my thumb and hand. I'm wondering if I slope the tips on a picklefork and twist if I can get by without tweaking. Has anyone done this with positive results?

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
  2. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

My imagination isn't strong enough to see how sloped fork tips are going to get you where you want to go. This is partially because I think the speed bump does more than help the pouch/ammo clear the forks - it helps the pouch/ammo clear my ruggedly charming face.
    I can empathize with pouch grip problems with butterfly draws. The usual grip - traditional ball hold but with the wrist bent - induced real pain in my wrist. I like the apparent efficiency of Alvarro Garcia's palm up pouch grip, but couldn't manage to control it. So I ended up shooting butterfly with a kind of palm down, thumb down, pouch grip. Just because it doesn't hurt and works for me.
    I see you use a palm to the rear, thumb up grip. It looks to me that you are up against the limit of travel for every joint involved in that.
    So, try modifying the fork tips if you like. But I suspect you'll make progress faster by banding up some light latex and investigating new options for pouch grip and release.
    Best of luck, and good shooting!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sergeant Slingshot

I shoot the palm up style with butterfly. The reason I was thinking about sloped tips is from an Evo frame I recently got from Catty Shack. The straight wrist really helps with heavier bands, and fork hits really aren't an issue with it because having the frame canted forward let's the ammo clear better

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. MakoPat

MakoPat Veteran Member

I, too, cannot imagine the fork tip solution yo your quandary, @Sergeant Slingshot .

I have experimented with flipping, leaning, extended forks pointing forward, twist-n-tweak, etc... for the exact same reasons.

In the end I banded up light and got a beater pfs and learned the way @KawKan is describing.

I also shoot short draw length as my arthritis does not permit full, even partial, butterfly.

I mean you have so much latex in the full butterfly equation that smaller ammo (8mm) is really speedy... I really wanted that speed.

All that said if you find a new path to the Pockle Fork Peak, please, let us know. It's all about the learning and sharing in Slingshot Society, man.

And PFS are the second most esoteric group of Flippery... those frameless maniacs are No. 1. I mean don't get it... how do even collect copious amounts forks and store/ display them?!?!

Good luck, Sergeant.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sergeant Slingshot

Frameless definitely isn't for me. It freaks me out lol

6. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

Just so we're on the same sheet of music, here are some screen-grabs of butterfly pouch holds.
    Traditional Modified
    PouchTradMod.png
    Palm Up
    PouchPalmUp.png
    Palm Down
    PouchPalmDown.png
    Palm Back
    PouchPalmBack.png PouchPalmBack.png PouchPalmBack.png
    Clearly each can work. But they don't all work for every shooter.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 7
  7. cromag

cromag New Member

They all work to raise my blood pressure:):)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Sergeant Slingshot

Those bottom 3 are me lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

LOL!
    My trigger finger got impatient, and my review before hitting "reply" circuit went dead!

10. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

This is a good topic and thanks Ray for taking time to research the different Butterfly pouch grips. Of the examples, I am most like Mark Seljan with my pouch release. This method works well too in the Semi-butterfly position as well. I will say that I am a student of Arturo's style and can say from my experience the traditional style is only part of the position. The wrist position is equally a factor in precision. I know from my own shooting if I start having left/right misses, it is because my wrist is in the wrong position with the release hand. I understand that the wrist in this position is awkward, but with enough practice, I have strengthened the mussels and become very accustomed to it over time.

That said, PFS shooting is a style that have many variants and this is in part much of the fun of learning. Finding what works for you is good.

Another topic in butterfly style shooting that I do not see anyone mention is the difference is a butterfly style for PFS vs a gapper wide fork frame. If you study some of the accomplished shooters like Zac Fowler, or even some of Terry/s (Bone) videos, they are shooting wide forks with gaps. Not PFS. So the techniques are different. Sometimes I think people try to adopt a gapper butterfly style to a PFS frame and then complain about fork and hand hits.

11. Palmettoflyer

Here is a picture of me that Sammy took last weekend. It is just after release from the Semi-butterfly position. Here you see my hand and wrist position. For Full Butterfly, I do the same, just with longer bands. This is also similar to Zac Fowler style. He never really gets to full extension and somewhere in the Semi area.

cc949f4e667aa336f4b8016eb25510d8.jpg

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 11
  12. JMac9

JMac9 Member

Informative thread!

Thank y'all.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  13. SLING-N-SHOT

SLING-N-SHOT Veteran Member

You know my old buddy Monroe, if you’re having trouble getting to full extension, they make this little blue pill to help with that ?

LOL, sorry brother I couldn’t help myself as you left that one wide open, haha

Seriously though, great form and you’ve “almost” convinced me to try PFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Palmettoflyer

Darrell, that reminds me of another joke that I wont repeat,....

FYI, I saw those cool PFS frames you just got from Steven. I have a feeling you better put some bands on those and have a go at it!

Start off easy. Put some 14" bands on a PFS Frame, Shoot from the semi position and don't try to aim yet. Just pop a few shots into your catch box from about 7 or 8 yards away. Build up the confidence that the release does what it is supposed to do. Look at those pics I sent you a while back about how to hold the frame and pouch. You'll do great!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

Oh, my feelings will be hurt if Darrell starts shooting PFS on something besides the Conus Gapper!
    LOL!
    No pressure, Darrell, but we do want video!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thor Magnus

Thor Magnus New Member

17. Thor Magnus

Thor Magnus New Member

Attached Files:

18. MacGyver

MacGyver Member

My eyes went to the picture before the text and I immediately thought he’s got a table like Mr. Sammy!

19. Palmettoflyer

Actually, I do have a table like Sammy's. But I don't have the fancy pop-up tent to stay out of the sun!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. MacGyver

MacGyver Member

He has a good setup! And that’s a top rate catch box that he has