Slingmail – Samurai Conus | The Slingshot Community Forum

Slingmail – Samurai Conus

Discussion in 'The PFS' started by Palmettoflyer, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Active Member

I convinced my wife that we need a security camera to watch the front while we are away or asleep. Little did she know, the real reason was to keep an eye out for the postman to know when slingmail arrives! Caught this FedEx guy on camera. Wonder what's in the package?!!!

Awhile back, I was talking with Arturo about PFS shooting and one thing led to another and I'm now an extremely gracious owner of his Samurai Conus design built by him. This conus frame is made from South American Ulmo wood that grows in Chile and Argentina. It is a very hard dense wood and a lovely dark color grain. As builds go sometimes, things were not as originally planned by Arturo. So after working through the challenges that natural wood can present, the Samuria Conus finally emerged. I am extremely grateful for his willingness and determination over the past few weeks. The state of the world didn't help either and presented its own share of challenges with long distance shipping. The combination of material supplies, time available to build, and the high cost of shipping truly makes this a one off exchange.

When I opened the box, I could not believe how beautiful the Samurai Conus is. The color is amazing. The feel of the smooth waxed hardwood is beyond belief. The straight lines and edges are perfect! Unbelievable how well it is made!!!
    Conus Front.JPG
    Conus Back.JPG
    IMG_4062.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4069.JPG
    IMG_4070.JPG

I immediately cut some SimpleShot black .7 bands and tied on a Supersure Roo pouch. Wrapped the bands on the Conus and headed to the backyard shooting range. I'm still much a learner in PFS butterfly, so it took me a dozen or so shots to get the feel of the new frame, and adjust my floating anchor point. But once it was set, I was able to cut out the target center from 10m.
    IMG_4072.JPG

Of course, this isn't the target of choice for a Conus! So out came the drink can! Made the quick video, and continued with the inaugural can cut! Still, not enough for an Arturo Conus. You have to finish with punching out the can top!

IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4088.JPG
    IMG_4090.JPG

I will be forever grateful for this frame and you will see me shooting it every chance I can. This isn't a display board queen. This Samurai is as tough as Arturo himself, and will see many shots over the days and years to come!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 13
  2. Royleonard

Royleonard Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That’s a treasure for sure.Made by a master and comparable to a Bowie knife!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Palmettoflyer

Absolutely! A treasure, a classic, and a work horse together.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

Mystic killer, congrats

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  5. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Veteran Member

Hi Monroe, I am very happy the Samurai arrived your hands, was a pleasure watch you shooting it, enjoy my friend !!!

I received a generous load of supplies that aren't found here, namely lots of ROO pouches badly needed and black latex to shoot for a long time, thank you very much my friend
    cheers
    Arturo

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
  6. Butch Thompson

Butch Thompson New Member

That is an awesome shooter, in the hands of an awesome shooter!!!!! I at some point, will try my hand at the whole pfs thing, and I will be sure to hit you up, as you seem to have it down. Sidenote, that paper target, where can I find it in the forum?? Thank You for all the knowledge during our chats!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  7. AdamvVS

AdamvVS Veteran Member

Thats very nice

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  8. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

That's one nice conus, looks like your getting on well with it.

9. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

Very nice conus ! Bowie knife ! I’d say better because what we know of the Bowie knife is fake his brother made that one up” stole it , that everybody thinks is the Bowie knife the original Bowie knife was a kitchen knife turned upside down 13 inches long,handle bent for upside down blade cutting upswing ! and Arturo’s conus is the real McCoy !
    The real Bowie !!!!!
    E4D35613-E237-4E95-9EC8-E18BE769D0F6.jpeg
    Brother and mom were very acute on his reputation and his brother rippef off a shipment of knives that look like Bowie
    And started selling them as his original made a lot of good money !
    The fake witch became the Bowie !
    65B7069E-CE43-4CD5-9D19-A00BD4A61364.jpeg
    So Arturo s conus better !!!!!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Palmettoflyer

Thanks, there is magic in this for sure!

11. Palmettoflyer

The pleasure has been all mine. Hoping soon the shipping virus is over and we can do more! My only problem now is enough time in the day to shoot! Thank you again for all you do for this community and the PFS tips and help videos. Not to mention the secret war on cans!

12. Palmettoflyer

Butch, thank you for the nice comment. Your shooting style is very close to PFS. I watched your ISCOR videos and you only need minor changes to shoot a PFS frame. Your butterfly technique is already good, just add the PFS pouch release and you are there.

13. Palmettoflyer

Adam, thanks!

14. Palmettoflyer

Muz, thanks. It was actually your colt build that got me to exploring PFS! The Conus seemed like the right direction to go to learn. Arturo took care of the rest!

15. Palmettoflyer

Clint, Thank you. You are always full of interesting facts!

16. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

Lol ya that me !
    No ! Just got a hard-on for the Bowie fighting knife !!!!! And conus !!!!!

17. Chadllee

Chadllee New Member

That is a beautiful Conus, congrats on getting such a sweet piece. Thanks for sharing the video shooting it as well.

18. Royleonard

Royleonard Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Comparable to a REAL BOWIE!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Palmettoflyer

The design is tried and true! Many have done well in creating them from the plans that Arturo has in the resources here. I've seen a few by other builders being passed around. For PFS shooting, it is solid as a rock to shoot.

Videos are a great way to see yourself and improve technique. Easy to set up a cell phone and lots of guys here can offer help and advise.

20. Covert5

Covert5 Well-Known Member

Awesome Conus!! Congratulations! And very generous of you Arturo! That is a beautiful one! I was just gifted one made by Mo and I love how it shoots. Its amazing how comfy it is in such a simple design. You are a genius Arturo!

Happy shoot'n Palmettoflyer!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3