Slinger of Darkness: Chapter 5 (The Greatest Weapon) | The Slingshot Community Forum

Slinger of Darkness: Chapter 5 (The Greatest Weapon)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lord Of Crows, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Lord Of Crows

Lord Of Crows Active Member

Hey Y'all. I've finished writing another chapter for the continuing saga of the dark slinger, Noah Won, and his mutant goat companion, Oliver. Again, if you haven't read previous chapters, it is not for the faint of heart. Plenty of gratuitous bloody mayhem remain a constant within the theme of violent justice via slingshot, but as always I believe there is a heart to it. This chapter really got out of hand and it ended up being close to 3000 words so it is my longest tale yet in the story. Happy Trails!

“Where on Earth did you come from?” I asked the sleek weapon resting on my lap. Oliver let out a loud snort blast from his mutant goat nostrils. He’s been doing that a lot more of late.

The slingshot designer’s engraved symbol itself intrigued me. A black sun over a black moon, with two snakes above the sun, facing each other, but they’re one; the mythical amphisbaena. You don’t have to explain to me that a weapon, whether blade or slingshot, cuts both ways. I’ve witnessed enough violence by now. Yet, I continue unfettered and undeterred.

It was a moonless night but a cloudless starry sky filled the mountainous land with heavenly light. That is one of the strange benefits of civilization’s demise; the light pollution from the city metropolises prevented the glory of outer space from shining down. It’s absurd to think that way I know, but how can I think otherwise having lived a life of absurd adventures? I reached over and rubbed Oliver on the bristly bridge of his knobby nose and smiled. He did not seem to care either way.

“It’s all good buddy.” I assured him. “I’ve got... Black Max.” Downwards my gaze returned to this majestic slingshot and I gripped it appreciatively with my left fist. “These black bands,” I said, reverently indicating the shimmering twin rubbery strands dangling from the slingshot’s fork prongs, “they’re gonna allow me to make short or long draws at will, and I’m just way… way faster than I am with the Big Dee-H Two-Thousand with the holy mesquite palm swell.” I was still amazed to admit so. Oliver rolled his googly mutant eyes in his mutant goat head, the black bars he had for pupils wobbling in the bulging brown orbs, but I didn’t make much of it. He has the right to get ornery before a deadly mission.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  2. Lord Of Crows

I found this remarkable slingshot in the heights of an old fire watchtower, drawn to it like a black fly to a black bear’s butt. Eerily, hundreds of skeletons from all manner of creatures were scattered in the surrounding wasteland with puncture holes in their skulls, and an uncanny feeling came over me as I spied the discarded weapon in the debris of the tower.

Now I’ve told y’all that I’ve seen Death winking at me from time to time in the corner of my eye, but damn near every other step I took in that miserable landscape; there he was. Every dead tree husk and boulder seemed to carry that bastard’s shadow.

Black Max appeared to be special in more than a few ways , not unlike the BIGDH2000 with the holy mesquite palm swell. Both were over-the-top or O.T.T. designs, constructed from composite materials. The layers of black micarta and some other kind of stone, horn, or perhaps even bone were employed along with zebrawood and purple heart masterwork joinery. The grip felt a lot like the BIGDH2000 with the holy mesquite palm swell and I was able to transfer my instinctive shooting style to the new weapon with little adjustment.

As I previously mentioned, Black Max was able to be fired with very short draws, as few as twenty inches, willed into being so as I consciously desired. That enabled me to fire more rapidly than I ever have before. I measured the rate of fire with an old mechanical brass stopwatch I found years ago; almost five-hundred RPM which is close to that of many assault rifles. However, a notable difference between my employment of Black Max and someone with an automatic weapon is that I will hit my target with every shot.

I have a canvas bag of three-eighth-inch steel at my belt which I use in that rapid fire fashion. I also maintained my trusty leather satchel which holds a hundred brain cutters, the balls of mutant goat poop balls which Oliver happily provided. He never complained anyway so I always assumed he’s OK with me salvaging his heavy turd nuggets. Hammering steel shards into the dense lead-like excrement improved their lethality, especially in regards to the monstrous brain eaters. But y’all already know what a brain cutter can do.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  3. Lord Of Crows

I know it sounds physically impossible for me to shoot that fast without burning my finger tips off, but trust me, there is more to the universe than what scientists have observed and recorded. If you don’t believe me then come find me in the wastelands. The name’s Noah Won. I wear a black hat and wander around with my mutant goat friend. Try me, I dare you. I’ll aim a few brain cutters at your feet to demonstrate my speed before dimming your lights forever.

I also tested the new shooter at distance and again it was not even close. Even with the same draw weight on both slingshots I could take out a hand-sized target consistently with Black Max at one hundred yards, double the range of the BIGDH2000 with the holy mesquite palm swell.

“It’s an easy choice,” I said, peering confidently at Oliver. He turned his head to look at something he noticed in the dead blackberry shrubs that we hunkered down in. It was a sheltered spot we could remain hidden in and stay close to the encampment, waiting for the right moment to attack. I paid him no mind as he burbled something out his mutant goat lips.

But, yeah, damn rights we’re going to attack! Those pieces of subhuman garbage have taken their criminally depraved ways to cult-like levels. Slavery is just one of those things I’m mightily oppossed to, and these traffickers of innocent children were about to get a taste of what Black Max can do. I squeezed the grip of Black Max and grinned widely. This is what I was born for. This beautiful weapon is going to help me end the scourge of these despicable slave lords. This must be the greatest weapon and I possessed it! A chill went through my body momentarily and I shuddered. My gaze was drawn back to Black Max and the thoughts of bloody vengeance washed away any doubt. Oliver belched loudly and I shushed him.

4. Lord Of Crows

I slunk close to the ground as I approached the smell of campfires. There, in the light of pre-dawn, the level top of the fort could be seen against the distant pale lilac shapes of mountains. The fort was built on the pebbled shore of a swiftly flowing river. It was a fairly substantial structure no doubt. The semi-circular border wall was constructed from two dozen or so decrepit but reinforced highway billboard signs, a string of rusted razor wire topped the entire length of the walls.

I had a good idea of what awaited me inside the compound. Two days ago I stalked a group who exited the fort and marched toward the borderlands. It comprised of a dozen youngsters tied at the wrists on a line of rope, guarded by five armed men. I ambushed them and it was over before they realized I was there. The liberated children related what they knew of the fort and the numbers within. Gratefully, they took the supplies and weapons from the massacred slavers and I wished them well as they continued their march, hopefully towards freedom and safety. The buzzards were already feasting on the dead bastards I killed as Oliver and I turned heel and hoof, hiking our way back to the fort.

Two guards hovered around a fire pit near the gated entrance, trying to stay warm in the cold morning air. “You know what to do,” I said to Oliver. “Anyone who comes out that gate, herd them back in, I’ll do the rest.” Oliver did not acknowledge my command, but he gets like that. I don’t think he likes being told what to do. Who does?

I nodded my head at him with a wink and hustled over to the stockade wall, staying low and moving my moccasined feet as quick as I could without kicking rocks around and making a racket. I looked up at the billboard before me, the shredded plastered portrait of some long-dead politician grinned a huge yellow-toothed smile to greet me. I pulled a makeshift rope off my shoulder. It was constructed from some old denim jean pants. I tossed the padded and knotted end skyward and it gently hooked over the top of the wall, wedging between the anchor point on two sections of billboard. Like a wily racoon, I climbed my way to the top and I peered underneath the razor wire. A few skulls adorned the top of the wall including a few from slain brain eaters. It was nice to know the slavers and I had a common enemy, but too bad for them they also chose to be mine.

5. Lord Of Crows

I scanned the fort interior. Almost no movement was observable except for two slavers standing around a central smouldering campfire with a large roasting spit, the carcass of an animal impaled upon it. The bones were nearly picked clean, probably last night’s feast. Several patchwork canvas tents and a few rusted out RV’s were set up in a circle around the central fire pit. The body of a shirtless man hung by his hands upon a large upright pole set near the firepit. His body appeared to be caked with dried blood and lifeless.

The fort was butted up against the river where the slavers had piled the fist-sized river stones into a sloping wall as high as the billboards. I was actually impressed by their industrialness. Atop the stone embankment was a crudely built tower made from rusted steel and driftwood timber. I could not see him but I knew there was a man perched up there, where a good view of the fort and surrounding area could be had.

The two men helped themselves to a steaming pot near the fire pit and lifted mugs to their shadowy faces. I smelled coffee! How the bloody hell did these sum-of-a-bitches get coffee beans? My mouth instantly began to water and I swallowed. I’ll have to help myself to a cup once I’m finished with these fools.

One of the slavers sauntered over to the poor bastard hung from his hands. “Want a sip, sunshine?” he mocked, lifting the apparently dead man’s head by the chin then allowed it to flop forward. His partner chuckled.

The razor wire was fastened to the wall top with bent nails. After years of slingshot work my right-hand thumb and forefinger grip was probably as strong as one could achieve and I pulled the nails out slowly so that the razor wire could be lifted up, allowing me to slither underneath. I dropped down from the wall inside the fort, landing with a slight crunch on the stones. The pre-dawn air was silent as I crept forward until I stopped between an RV and a tent where I could hear the sounds of snoring men. My eyes scanned for movement but mostly concentrated on the watchtower.

Black Max appeared in my hand and again the thrill of it electrified my body.

6. Lord Of Crows

Slingshots are not the most stealthy weapon but I only needed a half draw and a well-placed shot to reduce the snapping noise of the recoiling bands. Even with the reduced power the first brain cutter I loosed connected with the forehead of one of the men drinking coffee and he went backwards like a felled tree. Before his cup clattered off the stones my second shot hit the second man in the back of his head and he went down too. Headshots are my specialty as y’all well know.

I moved quickly between the tents and skirted the perimeter working my way towards the tower. The silhouette of a man leaned over the rickety railing of the watchtower. He shouted and the rapid clanging of metal broke the quiet morning. I gripped Black Max and extended my draw into full butterfly. The brain cutter zipped upwards. A mist of bloody spray exploded outwards from the figure and he pitched forward. The dead man’s body broke through the railing and plummeted down to the ground where it crunched down head first into the stones and folded up like an accordion.

Several screams and shouts issued from the tents and RV’s. Like angry hornets from a burning nest, half-dressed men streamed out. I reached into my waist pouch where I kept the three-eighth-inch steel ball bearings and retrieved a handful. The slavers cried out as I cut them all down one by one in quick succession, the ricocheting storm of lethal steel sparked off the RV’s as it ripped through their bodies. Spittle dripped from my chin as I grinned.

A giant viking-of-a-man wielding two axes flanked me as I sprinted towards the high ground atop the stone embankment. He quickly threw one after another and I hit the deck to avoid the spinning tomahawks. Rolling onto my side and lying on my back, I loosed a brain cutter into the center of his chest and he soared backwards as he tried to close on me with a huge knife.

Several men took cover behind the RV’s and others ran for the gate, fleeing in terror. Arrows whistled at me from the window on an RV and I blasted the rusty exterior with steel, penetrating the flimsy shell and ending the threat within. I smiled down at Black Max. “Good boy!” I said.

7. Lord Of Crows

The gates of the fort opened and several men rushed out the widening gap. I laughed knowing what awaited them. However, my smile quickly evaporated as I watched Oliver trot into the compound, completely ignoring the filthy scum.

“Oliver! What the hell?” I yelled angrily. I turned to see three slavers scuttling up and over the top of the embankment. I scowled and rushed up to the top of the rock pile in pursuit, firing a brain cutter at another man who tried to aim a crossbow at me. The projectile smashed through the weapon, snapping the prod in half and blasting through the man’s neck. He dropped to the ground, his head angling downwards from a few remaining strands of tendons. Few if any threats remained but I grimaced thinking I will have to work hard chasing down every one of these evil pieces of human garbage. Oliver dropped the ball. Stupid goat.

Rising to the top of the stoney mound I watched the three slavers wading across the fast moving mountain effluence. My grin stretched wide again as I slowly placed a brain cutter in the pouch of Black Max. I laughed loudly as I slowly extended the pitch black bands on the slingshot, blacker than the deepest ocean canyon. It was the greatest weapon I’ve ever known. Sleek, beautiful, and more lethal than any other. Much better than the Big DH2000 with the blah blah blah. The three targets began swimming as the river depth increased. They were half way across now but this was so easy, like shooting ducks in the proverbial barrel.

The sounds of rattling stones came from behind me. I turned to see my unreliable mutant goat partner rushing up towards me. “Oliver, you…”

8. Lord Of Crows

Oliver drove his forehead into my backside with tremendous force and I heard the bones in my spine crackle as I was sent rocketing upward. I twirled in the air and landed on the downward slope, rolling a few times before I settled into a short slide. One of my moccasins was knocked off my feet and Black Max lay a dozen feet up the slope.

“Oliver!” I screamed angrily. “What in the blue blazes!” I grimaced as I sat up painfully. I pointed over at the slavers who were now reaching the other side of the river and began wading ashore. “They’re getting away! What the hell is wrong with you!”

Oliver bleated loudly with what I perceived to be a tone as angry as my own. I looked back at the retreating slavers. The sun had not risen but the sky was turning lighter and I could now see that the three objects of my hate were a young woman leading two adolescents. I gasped, confused and in pain.

Oliver hustled down the incline and scooped up Black Max with the right prong of his twisted mutant goat horns, the incredible weapon dangling from the pointed tip. He reared up on his powerful mutant goat hind legs and whipped his head around, sending Black Max on a long arc through the air. It plopped into the center of the swift river current and began drifting downstream.

“Noooooo!” I shouted as I watched Black Max disappear under the dark rippling surface of the river. But, the feeling of loss dissipated as quickly as it came. I now felt a sudden sense of relief wash over me, cleansing, liberating, and then a deep regret.

I looked up at Oliver, and I could feel my face twisting with emotion. “Oliver, I’m so sorry,” I said shakily. He turned his back on me and slowly walked back up the rocky embankment. My only friend in this whole damned world disappeared from my view and was gone. My head dropped into my folded arms and I wept.

Then I heard the sound of bleating rise above me. I looked up through tears and smiled. Oliver stood atop the rock pile and motioned to me with a twist of his mutant goat head. I stood and slowly made my way up to join him. He led me past the bodies of the annihilated and out the open gate of the fort. I obediently followed as golden rays of sunlight spilled over the mountain tops.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  9. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

YOWZA!! Nice read! I just knew that shooter was evil. Thanx for posting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lord Of Crows

Thanks! You might know that I was inspired by Sauron's ring from the Lord of Rings novels.

11. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

Good job! That was entertaining.

12. Lord Of Crows

Thanks, Bone!!!!

13. Leo Torrevillas

Leo Torrevillas New Member

What is this?:eek: oh I need to find chapter one:D