Simpleshot | Page 2 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Simpleshot

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Mr-S, Sep 16, 2018.

By Mr-S on Sep 16, 2018 at 6:44 PM
  1. Mr-S

Mr-S Veteran Member

I get adverts on Facebook with stainless frames and custom frames etc, but they're never available and thier website only offers a few frames now?

I remember years ago when there were some amazing frames on there... what happened? It isn't just simoleshot - pocket predator have gone down the same road! Bad... bad bad bad! Get back to what made you famous please! We loved that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
I am 31 years old and have been shooting slingshots since i was 13. I saved some pocket money and brought myself a black widow catapult, I shot at everything. Drinks cans, bottles, fruit - you name it. Nearly twenty years later and not alot has changed, bigger hairier, but still a big kid at heart! I have been hunting for several years now and untill very recently was a dedicated looped tube shooter. I shoot OTT and my favourite slingshot has to be my scout. Mr-S

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Mr-S, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Mr-S

Mr-S Veteran Member

Thankyou for explaining that. Did you and Bill Hayes decide to make this move together perhaps? Let me explain myself abit because I don't want to come across as though I was just having a moan about you guys.

Firstly, I've had afew years away from shooting, we moved house and then had abit of a sad year our first year here so i decided to leave my frames in the loft to focus on the wife. This year however that is all a distant memory, so I dug out my gear from the loft and got back to shooting, after a little while though my scout broke (I'm not moaning about it, not your fault. It was a few years old and it might have been knocked during the move) So as I'd had a few years away I thought I'd treat myself to one of the nicer frames that I remember being on your site - that's when I noticed you'd cut the selection right back and were selling polys only. So I was scratching my head as to where I could get abit of a posh frame from and remembered PP did some nice g10 frames... that's when I saw they had gone down the same route as you guys with a smaller selection of poly only models. I was really confused lol.

Now that you have explained it it makes complete sence. I mean the selection we had avaliable to us back then was fantastic to be honest, it must have been difficult doing that on a mass scale. It was just abit of a shock coming back after a few years to see that things had changed . And to be honest - it was more me knowing I'd missed out on some lovely frames of the past. Oh well, change happens. Life moves on. Thankyou for taking the time to explain it all, I appreciate it.

2. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Active Member Vendor

No, we did not make this decision in conjunction with Hayes...we did it well prior to him stopping custom work. We were threatened by a patent holder regarding the method of construction of some of our custom models and we also just could not keep up with demand.

My biggest reason for stopping production customs was rather selfish. I began my journey into slingshot shooting and building as a hobby, many years ago. The joy I gained from building something from scratch that was functional and beautiful was my impetus. When it began to look and feel like hard work and dealing with customers who had no business shooting a custom slingshot began to destroy these beautiful creations and expect it to be replaced or repaired pretty much shut down all the joy of the craft. Combine that with threats of legal action due to the construction method and the writing was on the wall. I also enjoy my good health and I was beginning to feel the effects of being in contact with toxic materials.

I certainly still make an occasional custom but only for friends and only to trade. That keeps it fun!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    3. Mr-S

Mr-S Veteran Member

Makes sence. I totally understand why that would kill the joy of doing what you were doing.

It's a huge shame though.

4. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

If you want a custom of a @SimpleShot design I'm pretty sure @Lewis Pride of pride products UK has permission to build some of your designs? Please correct me if I am wrong. He has also been given permission from Bill Hayes to build a variation of the scorpion that he calls the Targa. His work is 1st class but comes with a heavy price tag.

If your looking for a custom in g10 Martin Whippet is the man, he won't do a scorpion but check out these vipers he made, I only own the kirinite one now. 20160813_215521.jpg 20170202_171213.jpg 20170205_143053.jpg then there is also @bigdh2000 again won't make you a scorpion but makes some absolutely beautiful slingshots and would surely make you a custom ttf if you spoke to him.

The are some very talented maker's out there.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Lewis Pride

Lewis Pride New Member

Thank you for the tag, the scorpion and that targa are two separate frames. But the scorpion helped inspire it.
      I do make the odd axiom or scout but tend to keep away from anyone else's designs of it can be avoided

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 7
    6. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

I wasn't to far off the mark, thanks for clearing that up.

7. Lewis Pride

Lewis Pride New Member

No worries bud.
      It's a shame to see the two main reasons I got into custom making (Nathan and Bill) no longer making their fantastic builds.
      They have and will always inspire my work I'm pretty sure [emoji5]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

Yes I always fancied a custom scorpion but it's guys like you, Martin and Dan to name a few that carry that on.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Mr-S

Mr-S Veteran Member

That's kinda where I'm at... Now that I've been shooting ttf non stop with this poly scorpion I'm getting pretty damn good at it (If I do say so myself [emoji6]) so I'll be looking for some kind of custom scorpion I think. Either an original Bill Hayes one I can find in sales/trades or to commission someone to build one.

I'll get Xmas out of the way and January I'll begin the hunt. I would have done it this month but I've spent a fair bit (warrior pouches, poly scorpion, a hefty drunken dankung order) I think the wife would put the chastity belt on for atleast a week if I tried to spend anymore on it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

If you haven't seen Lewis's work, check it out, his targas are wow. I don't really like buying other people's customs 1 because they normally want as much as they paid for it and 2 if your paying close to original price then you might as well get a new one. I have bought used customs but only because the price was right.

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Admin

Dang this thread is bringing everyone out of the wood work! Hello Nathan and Lewis :)

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Devils son in law

Devils son in law Veteran Member

You nailed it!! I worked in outdoor retail for years, bicycles and cross country skis. The bike industry has a long standing policy of lifetime warranty on frames.

Very often customers come in and want compensation for their carelessness. "I don't know how the fork got bent, I was just riding along....." Right!

The same held true with skis, huge gouges and scrapes in the soft bases, but they "didn't ski across the parking lot to the trailhead" Certainly did!!

I have some high dollar clothing that has a lifetime warranty, but after wearing my arcteryx jacket for 6 years and I get a rip in the elbow, I'm sorry, that's not a defect, that's standard use!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

If I fork hit a frame I would be to embarrassed to ask for a replacement.