Scrap Scout | Page 2 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Scrap Scout

Discussion in 'Homemade Slingshots' started by SimpleShot, Nov 23, 2014.

By SimpleShot on Nov 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM
  1. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Active Member Vendor

Never one to throw out a piece of wood, I have piles of scraps that I can't part with. Recently, from the strong urging by my better half, I cleaned the shop. One particular scrap box was full of strips of all sorts of woods that I had collected... too small for slingshots and too pretty to toss. So, I glued them all up into a slab, cut, re-glued and cut and re-glued a few more times for good measure.

There were a tremendous variety of woods composed of bamboo, buginga, rosewood(both Honduran and Bolivian), kingwood, cocobolo, sycamore, maple, purpleheart, walnut(black and new guinea), shedua, antique heart pine, reclaimed american chestnut, dogwood, cherry and probably a few more.

[​IMG]

Having not made a Scout slingshot in quite some time, I built it up around a 3mm carbon fiber core and finished it with several hand rubbed coats of Liberon Finishing oil. This was a really fun build and really frustrating too!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 13
Nathan Masters is the founder and CEO of Simple-Shot.com. A skilled designer and craftsman of premium slingshots and slingshot accessories. Nathan is leading the reemerging slingshot industry with superior quality, design, and innovation.

For more information, products, and sales.

Please visit:
www.simple-shot.com

Comments

Discussion in 'Homemade Slingshots' started by SimpleShot, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Canh8r

Canh8r Veteran Member

Very nice Nathan... Sexy shooter!

2. Lacumo

Lacumo Active Member

I keep coming back to this thread to take another look at the pix of this one and every time I do, I still find myself shaking my head. I can't even imagining cutting strips of wood that small --- much less laminating them up into those thin little boards. I’ve got to guess that after all the cutting and laminating was over and the boards were assembled, actually making the slingshot was probably comparatively easy and almost anti-climactic.

3. SimpleShot

The laminating was easy, it was the final fit to the core and aligning of halves that were the challenge!

4. Lacumo

Lacumo Active Member

Well --- that’s a riot! At least I didn’t get it bassackwards or anything like that!

5. SimpleShot

If you approach the laminating, one plane at a time and disregard the final piece, it becomes much easier to visualize how it could go together. It is not terribly complex, just tedious and best executed with plenty of time and cold beer.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1