Saltwater Shore & Pier fishing | The Slingshot Community Forum

Saltwater Shore & Pier fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Sergeant Slingshot, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Sergeant Slingshot

Sergeant Slingshot Member

I recently went on vacation to Florida, and had a blast. Caught some Mangrove Snapper, Croakers, Blue Crabs, and Pin Fish. Only a few of the snapper were keeping size, and honestly it was luck of the draw that I caught them. I'm an avid freshwater fisherman, mainly rivers and creeks for trout. I'm at a loss when fishing saltwater. Everything I know about it is what I've learned myself and isn't much. Hooking a live shrimp worth a crap is the bane of my existence when fishing the ocean.
    Anyone here who shore fish regularly, what's the secret to success? I could see massive fish, close to shore but they wouldn't bite. Idk if I just wasn't holding my mouth right or what. My setup(s) are a few smaller Penn reels, Pursuit 4000s, Fierce 2 2500 and Spinfisher VI 2500 with braid and 9'' steel leaders. Weight wise I was using 1/8-1/2 ounce sinkers, mostly 1/8 ounce split shot.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

It was probably black drum hook a whole blue crab on and drop it in front of them they will swallow it whole they eat crabs oysters eels they will eat shrimp and fish but only if it’s right in front of there face they get 60 to 70 lbs what part of fla

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sergeant Slingshot

Sergeant Slingshot Member

Pass a grille beach is where I was fishing. Beach & inlet side

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  4. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Also could have been mullet they are like a carp but taste awesome you have to use the smallest beam hook and a small piece of white rubber worm and bait them with clay ball laying mash and oats

5. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Down
    down by st pete

6. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Also could have been snook but they will eat anything did you ever see a big tail come up out of the water like the fish was standing on its head

7. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  8. Slide-Easy

Slide-Easy Member

We used to get in a sleugh behind the beach of Hog Isl. Breakers all around when the tide changed. We used a fish finder rig with what we called a 'Sand-Witch'... a surf clam, a pealer and another surf clam all held together with a rubber band. They run 50-100lbs...good eatin' fish, good eatin' roe.

9. Lord Of Crows

Lord Of Crows Active Member

I actually don't like fishing, but I sure as hell enjoy freshly caught grilled fish, so to all you fishermen out there, THANKS!

[​IMG]

10. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

Soft shell sand crabs work best for me in close where the water is turbulent and only a foot deep or two. The hard shell ones work but not like the soft shell ones after they shed the shell. I think it's around may when you can start finding them.
    I use squid for long casting because it stays on the hook good and takes the hard whip to get the line out beyond the waves crashing.
    Even surface fishing can get good on the outside of the waves.
    Fresh cut fish works good too but usually needs some thread to help it stay on through the cast.
    Surf fishing is bad ass. Learn to read the water. Look for water areas that seem to churn from water moving in 2 different directions. I get more luck in those areas. Look for birds feeding as well. I'm sure you know this stuff. Just a reminder.
    And finally don't forget to use your lures. I've caught halibut on fake anchovies dragging it across the bottom.
    Have fun!