Question about Linatex bands | The Slingshot Community Forum

Question about Linatex bands

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by Flockaduck, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Flockaduck

Flockaduck New Member

Hello all, I am a beginner and my current setup is a Scout with the red Linatex bands. My first two bandsets were flat latex but I'm trying this flat Linatex due to how much I've heard about the durability and longevity of the rubber material. I have a 7" resting band length and my question is this: as Linatex is known for it's massive stretchability, is 7" of band at resting position too short? Should I have cut them longer than 7"?

I'm new to Linatex. Thank you in advance for all the helpful advice.

- Nathan

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  2. wobblywill

wobblywill Well-Known Member

Depends on your draw length are you maxing it out ? What ammo you using ?.. think linatex Is Thick Compared To Latex so it should chuck some big ammo ,haven't used it in flat form before had a try of it in 6mm square bands and found i didn't need to max it out ,plenty to lob some big 14mm lead.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

3. honorary pie

honorary pie Veteran Member

7" will go to about 56" I think,, that's a pretty long draw, and it's really made for the heavy Betties. What kind of ammo are you shooting?

4. AdamvVS

AdamvVS Veteran Member

If your profile pick is that of your set up its looking pretty cool

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  5. Flockaduck

Flockaduck New Member

I'm using 5/8 flatbands. I have both 7/16 and 3/8 steel balls. I'm not maxing out the draw length - the Linatex is so thick I only draw to about my chin or a little shorter. I see lots of people drawing back to their ear but there's no way I can get these bands that far back.

6. Flockaduck

Flockaduck New Member

----------------------------------
    I'm shooting 3/8 and 7/16 steel balls.

7. Flockaduck

Flockaduck New Member

-----------------------------
    Yep that's it! And I have taken game with the scout but only that squirrel with the Linatex bands.

8. Flockaduck

Flockaduck New Member

---------------------------------
    The draw poundage is so heavy, to get the draw past somewhere in from of my chin means my left arm is seeking to shake from the tension. These bands are strong.

9. wobblywill

Try cutting them narrower , i'm sure their about 1.5mm thick ,so a narrower taper will still through out the big stuff but you'll get a longer draw and won't get the wobbles

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Billy Fugett

Billy Fugett Well-Known Member

It appears I'll have to Google it as I have no idea what Linatex is or who sells it. Obviously I've not tried it.......yet
    Just read it's been around since the 1920s. Sure seems I would have tripped over it before now. May be good band material if available thin enough.
    I did find this but SS doesn't seem to sell it any longer. At 1.2mm thick or thicker I would need to cut pretty narrow tapers to use it.

After finding a PDF chart online of pull weights of various slingshot band material versus performance you actually get out of the material I'm just gonna stick with latex.
    It's old data from 2013 when TBG was considered very good (Before they made it thinner)
    But here's a link if you care to download and read it. There are far better elastics out there these days.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3ii8o3i4zt8lai/2013_Slingshot_Band_Speed_Test_by_Montie_Gear.pdf?dl=0
    Research done :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Billy Fugett

Never tried it but from what I have recently read I would toss them and replace with latex.
    NOT TBG either. Too much better stuff out there these days that is easy to get.

12. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

I've tried linatex from simple shot and wasn't a fan of it compared to the 0.30 or 0.40 natural latex or even the simple shot black. It probably will last longer but the natural latex lasts long enough and for me having plenty of speed from a comfortable draw weight is worth more to me than getting an extra 100 shots, but it might work for you so it's worth a try.

13. wobblywill

Very true ..if you want more shots out of your bands try the .80 precise or 1mm GZK
    Last forever

14. Flockaduck

Flockaduck New Member

Thanks. Hadn't considered that.

15. Flockaduck

Flockaduck New Member

Thank you for that information. So what is your personal band setup?

16. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Active Member Vendor

We still sell lintatex sheets and band sets. Most folks appreciate this material for its robustness. If you want to have a slingshot on hand in your truck or bug out bag and have confidence that the bands won't be rotten when you finally use it, linatex is great stuff.

It is best suited to heavy projectiles like rocks, heavy leads and steels, and ersatz ammo such as rebar chunks or heavy hex nuts. It can be stretched a loooong way and it performs best with a long draw.

It is a work horse and in no way, shape or form is a replacement for quality latex. It is a specialty elastic that serves it's very specific set of qualities well. If you are looking for the best daily slingshot experience, Linatex may not be your solution.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Billy Fugett

I use both Chinese elastic and the black stuff from Simple shot. Although I have three batch cutting templates cutting remains my least favorite part of making band sets. If you are in the USA the die cut black stuff from Simple Shot is great and just as importantly to me the black color looks right at home on even the finest custom slingshots I own. My favorite taper from there is .875 in / 22.2 mm x .6 in / 15 mm but I'll give you fair warning. When I do buy it I generally deplete their stock. They show 10 packs of 12 right now but if you wait too long I'll buy them all first :)
    For Chinese elastic I prefer .8mm thick 20mm X 12mm X 25CM and cut the excess from the 12mm end. They have plenty of zip with 3/8" steel and they last a long time.
    Every batch cutting jig I have is at this taper and length.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Flockaduck

Flockaduck New Member

Thank you for that insight. I'd like to ask what type of bands you recommend for hunting with 3/8" and 7/16" steel balls. Previous to these Linatex bands I used flat latex bands... I believe .30 .

Nathan

19. Wignorant

Wignorant Member

I have a linatex set that I don’t know where it came from. Thanks for reminding me to give it a try!!