Precise Red, Tan, or Yellow-Orange | The Slingshot Community Forum

Precise Red, Tan, or Yellow-Orange

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Superpacker, Jul 13, 2018.

By Superpacker on Jul 13, 2018 at 8:46 AM
  1. Superpacker

Superpacker Member

These seem to be the three most popular precise colors - anecdotally it seems that red is the favorite of the 3 with tan the least favorite of the 3 but the tan seems to be closest to TBG thickness. Just was curious if anyone uses any of these 3 and why you chose the thickness you did.

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Superpacker, Jul 13, 2018.

1. wobblywill

wobblywill Well-Known Member

Red for me got it to compare against old cream GZK .72 ...GZK is better in my view draws easier and less prone to tear

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

Love the red myself, but now that everybody is shooting 8mm, it seem like is a bit to much rubber. I have to cut my tappers 5/8 to 1/2 for 8mm ammo.
      Depending what your ammo choice is i would say!

3. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator

One thing that needs to be said is that you design your setup based on the job.

If you are going hunting, I would use solid Red Precise as it causes anything up to 5/8" to haul tail at a reasonable pull. It is also less impacted by cold weather.

For target shooting, Red Precise is acceptable but tires out the arm quickly. I much prefer Green Precise for this task. I also cut it fairly narrow as it can chuck 12 MM downrange without drop at 10 meters using 1/2" straights.

I have pretty much steered away from all band material available in the USA. None of it performs at the level of the various banding material supplied out of China. Hopefully some of the USA suppliers start carrying some so that the three week wait is reduced.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    4. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Active Member Vendor

SimpleShot has all sizes of Precise coming soon. We will continue to stock the most popular sizes and will be offering trial packs including a length of each size so you can dial in to what you like best.

I have been shooting the apple green lately and really enjoy it for up to 3/8" ammo...for target shooting only, however.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. Superpacker

Superpacker Member

Great info! Thanks, Nathan. That sounds like just what I would want to try!

6. bigdh2000

Nice!

7. mostho

mostho Well-Known Member

I'd like to say that I was using Precise long time most people was knowing them, in Italy I was surely among the firsts (if not the first).
      So I shared after some months of use, my stats here where I also chrony some power setups.

https://www.slingshotcommunity.com/threads/some-precise-bands-stats.31553/

Now coming to the Precise I was testing also in these days the .55 Yellow Precise. And wow.
      They all share a long durability, burnign accelaration and some have a nice pull. Durability is higher than most especially if cutted straigt, in this case they can withstand almost au pair with tubes. Also, almost no matter the thickness they retract or accelarate at the same speed.
      Something different from western bands whre the thicker the slower. YMMV obviously.

Now as Big Dan said you can easily adjust the thickness and width according to your tastes.
      For instance you could like thicker bands in a narrower cut or using a less thick band in a larger cut. IN my tests, the first configuration of thicker bands in narrower cuts lasts even longer. Just for instance, I mean for target shooting, a single band stretched at 450% of 11mm red or .75 yellow precise can be used easily up to 3/8 for targeting. Or likely you can use with red or yellow orange precise a ratio of 1:1 with the diameter having fun with a light and nice useable setup for targeting.

Based on above that you can use However these are my suggestions

.55 Yellow and .60 green Precise are fantastic for targeting. No tiring, powerful enough, sweet pull.

.65 White is my favorite ace. Go wide for heavy hitting go narrow for targeting theres always enough speed with a happy pull. I'm shooting currently with a 10mm straight some 7mm steels for almost four weeks and Im changing them just to be bored and to love testing many other setups.
      .70 red have a heavy pull that the .75 does not have strangely. They both share power and velocity even in small strips. Please refer to my stats.
      You can use them both for targeting going narrower and just going up well they can hit really hard almost any ammo size.

my 2c hope you like my choices.

8. bigdh2000

@mostho I believe you sent me some really thin red stuff in one of our trades. I found it a bit too light for my pull but my son loves it as it works very well for the indoor ammo Simple Shot sells. Perhaps you can remind me of the name and thickness.

I remember when you posted those stats some time back. Very few understood their value at the time. I suspect the Red Precise has a weather ingredient of some sort in the recipe. It seems so much less impacted by the colder weather. That was why I was so curious to see your results in varied temperatures.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. mostho

mostho Well-Known Member

Yes Dan,
      that red band is Decathlon red one, an exerciseband easily available here. It's crazy fast and stated 100% latex. A 20-20 can drive an 8mm at speed of the light. The only drawback its not that durable and thinner, roughly like the TBS.

Having experience in other kind of elastomers for scuba and spear fishing I suspect that the Precise red and probably some others have a little bit of Rubber Gum and few additives that makes them more reactive (instead of progressive like pure latex) and lasting. As rule of thumb they have really constant performance in our temperate climate. However yes I will test the same setups probably this winter.

10. bigdh2000

For those who have not been keeping up to speed, you can now find the Precise line of slingshot latex available at Simple Shot.