Precise .40 Green - Brittle | The Slingshot Community Forum

Precise .40 Green - Brittle

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Shaku, Aug 8, 2020.

By Shaku on Aug 8, 2020 at 5:49 AM
  1. Shaku

Shaku New Member

Hello Slingshot people, I have bought the 0.40 Green Precise 3rd Gen band from Dankung and made myself a band set out of it. It shot pretty well and worked fine, until it ripped apart completely unexpected.

I taper my bands, so that they rip at the pouch end, and it did. However it is not a straight tear, it tore along the band (see the picture added).
    I used leftover material to tie another band to a fork and the band tying material seemed equally brittle and tore randomly while attatching the rubber.

Is that a common problem with the thin precise bands or could this just be a bad batch? What would you do? Throw away the rest of the 2 meter roll or hope, that it was just a fluke in the first 35 cm and the rest is fine?

I shoot butterfly and rather not have a band tear when i release, giving me a hole for an eartunnel..

The last one tore about 2 seconds before i would have released it, so i still had the ball in my hand (8mm). It however slapped me on the cheek pretty good.

I am curious of your opinions. Thank you :)

IMG_20200808_113512.jpg

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Shaku, Aug 8, 2020.

1. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Admin

Hmmmm... thats not normal. How long have you had the roll ? And what do you use to cut your bands with ?

2. andypandy

andypandy Well-Known Member

Maybe your cutting mat is too old or your rotary blade isn’t sharp enough, that can happen sometimes. Especially when the breaks aren’t at the pouch end

3. Shaku

Shaku New Member

I had the roll for about 3 hours before i made the bandset. I did cut it with a rotary cutter, but i noticed a dull spot on the blade while cutting, so that could very well be it. I did not see any nicks in the bands, but that doesn't have to mean anything.

Thank you for the feedback, i will try another band set with a new blade.

Hopefully that fixes the problem. I liked the performance alot apart from the tearing thing.

4. Pathfinder

Pathfinder New Member

O my . Three hours is way to long. Just kidding. Is the roll consistent in color? Just wondering. I would guess it’s not cut with sharp blade and not wide enough. What is your stretch factor? Active length and pull length?

5. Shaku

Shaku New Member

The roll seems consistent. The blade probably was the cause.

My stretch factor is around 4.75-5. I usually have about 31 cm active length and draw about 1,50m

This one was cut at a 15-10 taper for 1 gram clay ammo and some light shooting.

6. Rayshot

Rayshot Active Member Vendor

Of the three colors of precise elastic I have, the green (.6mm) is poorest for longevity. All purchased at the same time, stored the same and bands cut the same. In fact the green I thought would have last longest since it is the lightest band set shooting the same weight ammo as the red .7mm and the yellow .75mm

Could be a coincidence that I had poor results with the green as you did. It did seem better when it was new but has gone down hill fast in comparison to the red and yellow.

7. Porphyrios

Porphyrios Member

I had a similar issue with the .70 which is why I moved to GZK elastic.