Possible new pouch design? | The Slingshot Community Forum

Possible new pouch design?

Discussion in 'The Shooting Range' started by Sergeant Slingshot, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Sergeant Slingshot

Sergeant Slingshot New Member

Since starting to shoot short draw, I came to a realization that twisting the pouch is much more natural to me. I anchor more precisely with the full length of my thumb against my face. The only problem with twisting a pouch on anything other than a pfs is the spin it puts on a ball, which causes the projectile to go left or right, depending on the shooter. For me, it's left. I had to change reference points on my frame until shooting ott became almost the same as ttf. I was compensating for the spin to the point that my target was blocked off by the fork tip at 20+ yards.
    This lead to an idea for a type of pinch pouch made for people who want to shoot with their thumb against their face, without putting a spin effect on the ball by twisting the pouch. I plan on trying to bring it to life this weekend. Ideas, thoughts, and opinions welcome! Following is an extremely rough drawing of what I'm aiming to make, if possible. In theory, it should work great.
    Side note and PSA - for those who make their own pouches and are fans of the GZK super fiber microfiber pouches, he has recently started selling the material they're made from in bulk. [​IMG]

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
  2. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

Simple shot makes a pinch pouch that may suit you right down to the ground.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  3. cromag

cromag New Member

I have thought of a similar approach often as the thumb up position at the ear is not easy for my old stiff bones. The key will be to get the "tab" orientation on the pouch at a 90 degree twist and still allow the pouch to collapse and grip the ball.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  4. Sergeant Slingshot

That's what I'm going to experiment with. I'm hoping it will work. I'm pretty sure it will, but won't know for sure until I make one

5. cromag

cromag New Member

Here's a mock up of a pouch I made last night that might work. I cut a "tear drop" shape out of an old large wrist rocket tab and then cut the narrow edge down with a slight curve to it to match the curve of a 3/8 ball then sewed it on to another pouch with very heavy upholstery thread. Feels strong , m P4110002 (Medium).JPG ay work but you can bet I'll be wearing some eye and hand slap protection.

6. cromag

cromag New Member

Punt!!! Far too much time messing with the ammo to make it practical for enjoying the shooting session.o_O

7. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

Just use the Arturo pre-turned (i.e. No Turn) band tie method and you are done. This will accomplish exactly what you are trying to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Palmettoflyer

Works well on any OTT, not just pickle forks

9. Sergeant Slingshot

I already do the perturned, and while it works great for butterfly on a pfs, it puts a super spin on short draw

10. cromag

cromag New Member

That is what I have been doing since you sent me the Goblet with bands arranged that way. Seems to allow a more comfortable thumb position anchor the best I can tell.:tu:

11. Palmettoflyer

Not sure how that could be? I've done it this way now for well over a year. There is no rotation component to spin and unless you are shooting golf balls there is no way to slice or pull a smooth ammo ball. You're either canting the frame or release is not clean.

• Agree Agree x 1