Pistol Crossbows? | The Slingshot Community Forum

Pistol Crossbows?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OldGuy, Jan 11, 2021.

1. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

I think Covid-19 Physical/Social Isolation has caught up to me. Plus I'm retired. Enjoy target shooting. Not really into hunting. Do occasionally kill a varmint that's larger than a field mouse. Friend recently started deer hunting with his Dad's old crossbow. Old enough in WI to use a crossbow during archery season. Sort of got me curious in xbows. Until I saw the $$$s.

Didn't even know pistol xbows existed. YTubed, googled around. Found a model I think I would like. The Hori-zone Red Back. Then found out they are difficult to source and when you do find one a bit pricey here in the USA. 2nd choice was the PSE Viper SS. Spec #50, actual draw weight ~#45. Red Back is a real world +#70 draw weight.

Inexpensive at $39 online. Just ordered some real bolts from JaXce. Might need to add the Backbone to boost draw by ~#30. The kicker. A dozen JaXce Originals cost more than the Viper SS.

Anyone else target shooting pistol xbows? One issue I have shooting slingshots at night without illumination is my lack of accuracy. Not an instinctive shooter. Need to aim. The coons just laugh at me as they enjoy the eats in the garden. Next season. The black bears will be feasting on fresh coon kills. I hope. Or maybe the coons will be again laughing at me as a bolt flies harmlessly by.

2. Searcher_47

Searcher_47 Veteran Member

Dang it! I was in the middle of making a starship slingshot and now you got me interested in this!!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  3. Bishop

Bishop Active Member

Check out a air javilen air bow

4. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

One big negative with the PSE Viper SS. Assuming the same issue with all other ViperSS and all the other pistol xbows that use the same looking frame(Hori-zone, Armex...). The trigger pull sort of stinks. Definitely not smooth and a hard pull. Only items to compare it against are the Remington 870 and Browning Buck Mark owned. Accuracy limiting issue. Hope was it would be something I would adapt to & compensate for. After >50 shots with the junky stock bolts it's a source of frustration. Zeroed in the sights stabilized by bags. Relatively accurate. Shooting as a "pistol". Not so accurate. Expectations may have been too high for a $39 xbow. Wonder if this a one off or common to all these pistol xbows? Maybe they were never intended for "serious" target shooting? Maybe why I haven't found any YTube videos demonstrating accurate shooting? Accurate defined as consistently hitting 4cm target at 10 meters or longer.

5. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

It's the bolts. Upgraded to a set of SAS Prophecy bolts. Still lacking precision. That is, a tight cluster. Bit of accuracy improvement. Bit the bullet and ordered a set of JaXce Original Bolts. High precision. Needed to re-zero the reflex sight. Now high accuracy. 4cm is too large a target. Hard to miss. Then I try the SAS bolts. Hard to consistently hit. Indoor range is the slingshot range. Just step back as far as possible to add couple meters. So ~7M pistol xBow range. Shooting into the archery foamy (Black Hole) with +3 layers of cardboard on the front. Not only are JaXce accurate, but penetration is significantly deeper. The reasons for the cardboard. Done with the junky, cheap, made in China pistol xBow bolts. JaXce are made in the USA. I think out of Upstate NY. Only problem is out of stock due to supply chain issues. Most recent are the shortage of the Bohning Impulse vanes used on the bolts.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  6. Searcher_47

Searcher_47 Veteran Member

Great post!