Opfs - Banda and ammo recommendations | The Slingshot Community Forum

Opfs - Banda and ammo recommendations

Discussion in 'The PFS' started by mmortona, Jul 10, 2020.

1. mmortona

mmortona Member

Hi fellow slingshot enthusiasts!

Seems that I am.managing to get myself in a pickle (pun intended here)

I was shooting 1745 with 9.5mm steel and suffering hand slaps like no tomorrow

So I changed to 12mm steel

Help.menout here guys

What do you prefer to shoot with your opfs?

I am looking here for bands and ammo combination recommendations

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

2. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

I've had the best luck shooting PFS at butterfly draw with flatbands and 3/8-inch steel.

3. H0w31rd

H0w31rd Active Member

I like 3/8"or 9.5 mm steel (they're the same thing) or 5/8 marbles.
    The tubes are fine but you may need to lenthen your tubes. Shorter is more powerful, but they need a faster reaction time and have too much power left over.
    Some of this can be negated with time because your hand starts to flip the pfs at the right time and this lessens or can even nullify hand slap.
    In the beginning longer bands is the easiest solution. As you get better and more confident. Shorten the bands again.
    Beware cold weather with the pfs. You will learn a new level of pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mmortona

mmortona Member

many thanks both!
    I will try again and lengthen the bands.......
    H0w31rd - a new level of pain is SO TRUE

handslap after handslap ...ouch

5. mmortona

mmortona Member

H0w31rd - may I ask - what tubes are you using?

1745 + 9.5mm is difficult for me = handslaps!

12mm is way better - but I am thinking here... am i doing something wrong??

6. H0w31rd

H0w31rd Active Member

1745 or 1842 they are the standard for the pfs. Look up pfshooter on YouTube. He invented the opfs and his expertise is unparalleled. Most everything you could want to know is on his channel.
    Lengthen the tubes will lessen the hand slap. Slingshot tube or band has a max velocity to band length of 4-5x. So if my drawlength is 30 inches then I should have 6 inches between forks and pouch. This is maximum. There will be alot of handslap and the bands or tubes won't last as long. But if I make my bands 8 inches then there may be no handslap but a big loss of velocity. Playing with that length to find your acceptable handslap level is up to you.
    Also the more you practice, you will follow through with a slight flip of the frame which will stop the handslap for the most time.
    To be honest I almost quit shooting pfs because of the handslap. Sometimes it's good to take a hint to take a break if it gets too much and come back later. It is a really fun slingshot. But all designs have their plus and minuses.
    Good luck.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  7. mmortona

mmortona Member

That's amazing
    Thank you so so much for the help!!

Excellent and clear information

Will get on that
    Thank you

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

8. Flipster

Flipster Member

I agree with everyone's post on here. I've used 1745 and 2040 dankung tubes and honestly didn't noticed to much a difference. The 1745s were slightly stronger. I personally prefer small diameter latex for shooting 5/8 marbles.

You get good power with short tubes, but you may also run into problems more serious than hand slap. I.e return to sender shoots. This happened to me a few times which caused me to quit shooting pfs for almost a year. Its was more likely due to technique than tube length. But it only happened when i shortened my tubes. Just something to keep in mind. Not trying to discourage or scare, but u should wear eye protection just in case. Resized_20180726_205048.jpeg

9. H0w31rd

H0w31rd Active Member

That looks nasty. I have a scar on my thumb where I kept hitting the same spot with a marble. Must have been about 10x's. I wish I knew to start practicing with Gobstoppers. If those get wet though you will definitely get RTS.
    One final note, when making you bands make sure you pouch isn't curled also your tubes should look like this (_) when pouch is on tubes. The curve in this direction and a flat pouch will help with less fowling of the tubes. I'm not sure that makes sense.

10. H0w31rd

H0w31rd Active Member

Here is dgui explaining it better than I can. Any questions he's still on this forum and a master with the pfs.

11. Flipster

Flipster Member

Yeah it wasn't fun. It hit me just below the ribs lol. I stopped using roo pouches after that, they tend to curl after a while, but I liked the way they feel. That could have been it, thanks for the tip! @Dgui told me that my pouch might be to long, which I think it was. The small diameter latex I use comes rolled up. When you unravel it forms really clean symmetrical curves like what you mentioned. TBH, I shot the pfs thousands of time, then out no where this happened. Completely ruined my confidence, which I just recently got back by using plastic ammo.

12. mmortona

mmortona Member

WOW! that looks so so bad - no wonder you decided to take a break!
    sheesh!
    I will start wearing glasses...
    and follow advice!
    many thanks for all the advice guys!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2