Old back and backpacking | The Slingshot Community Forum

Old back and backpacking

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MakoPat, Jan 24, 2021.

1. MakoPat

MakoPat Veteran Member

Hahaha... for 3 decades my winter pack has been a worst case scenario of preparedness. Now my brittle bones say NO!

A weird experience is happening and I thought I should share here. I am taking my winter pack and breaking it down into my summer pack...

Now here this! I live in middle to east Tennessee on the Cumberland Plateau and there is only the mildest hint of winter in comparison to you true northern and high altitude dwellers.

But I am a follower of the Wim Hoff Method and if I don't make a plunge into a waterfall or creek soon there is no real cold water by April.

I will try to document this trip and highlight the shenanigans... plus my partner is a Flippery initiate and shooting will happen. I loaned him my mini Taurus OTT and next he gets to borrow my Scout LT.

Things are boiling down to the 5C's plus a modicum of comfort in the Big C- cookery. Cookery means comfort. Red beans and rice with fire roasted Conecuh spicy sausage and Rotel lime with chilis and diced 'mators.

Morakniv belts knives, Victorinox Huntsman, and an Opinel flip( From Drew Bilbrey slingshots) and so much quiet and cold that I reset into humanity's kindness and hopefulness.

Don't know if I'll bring My Boy. The chihuahua really ain't for Temps under 70F. Hahaha...

random pics from my roll.

Attached Files:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 10
  2. Peter Recuas

Peter Recuas Veteran Member

Good luck friend, dive into life with its mysteries and wonders :)

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  3. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

Nothing better than some breathing sessions and cold watter! I am Wim man also! :tu::tu:
    Be safe!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

Have fun.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  5. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

I think the dog would love it if you kept him warm at night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AdamvVS

AdamvVS Veteran Member

Hope you take many photos of the journey and write more of the experience inside and out
    Your shy not so shy pooch sure ikes his lounging around

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  7. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

fishing

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  8. MakoPat

MakoPat Veteran Member

Normally, Yes!!!

This will be a quick overnighter... and the river (Big South Fork) is excellent for walleyes and muskies... the creek (Honey Creek) we will be on is too small. And the trail is too strenuous ( rough as Hell's hand basket ) for me to make in and out in 2 days any more. The area is a small pool under a waterfall that has little or no exposure to sunlight... so hopeful very cold. I will my @Pawpawsailor hobo hand line that I won... so maybe some bream or small pan fish.

BUT @Cruiser ... I am taking some poles and lures in case I have time on the drive out on Sunday with Dad at the City Park. I never pass up an opportunity to my arse handed to me by Dad. Haha...

I can beat at slingshots and only slingshots. But he usually let's me clean the fish.

Attached Files:

• Genius Genius x 1