Ok, it's a starting point, at least... | The Slingshot Community Forum

Ok, it's a starting point, at least...

Discussion in 'The Shooting Range' started by bottlecap, Jul 9, 2020.

1. bottlecap

bottlecap New Member

Downright pitiful. @30f, 3/8 steel, Kainokai hunting slingshot. Lots to learn and practice.
    Using a discarded seafood box for my catch with a piece of plywood inside for now. I didn't lose any, so that's a positive.
    Might try closing up to 20 ft as I develop my technique.
    Waiting for Scout to be delivered, then I will practice solely with that,

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 8
  2. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Active Member

...or at least you didn't loose any that hit the target! Willing to bet that one or two got by.

Funny comment aside, I would like to commend you for sharing this with us. I don't think I did any sharing until I was much better.

Good to hear that you have a Scout on the way. Which one, LT or XT? Also note that the frame does help with the aiming, but the beginner problem at the moment looks more like just fundamentals. The Scout with flat bands will help some, but you will need to work on aim, anchor, and release consistency. Very little of that is managed by the frame. Band size matched to ammo and draw length, consistent anchor point, and a good release is the path forward.

Keep up the practice and keep sharing, don't hesitate to ask direct questions for help.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Big Ron

Big Ron Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator

Hell man at least you turned that target into Swiss cheese,don't beat yourself up these guy shooting 1 inch group and cutting card will tell you that's after thousands of shots and hours of practice,i think you are on your way

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

You've been here since Monday! And that is the Best you can DO! All of the rest of us shot a thousand rounds the first time we picked one up and they all went through the hole the first shot made. :p
    My first week in, on my comeback. I broke a window, dented the neighbors siding; twice. danged near took off a knuckle, broke two forks with hits, had two RTS and decided that I needed a backstop bigger than a 10X14 tarp.
    You are doing fine Bro! But, Yeah. Closing in on your range lets you shoot softer and you learn better control. Power comes later. :tu:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Admin

Your doing fine when i started i shot my flatscreen.... my forks and lost a thumbnail . !

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Royleonard

Royleonard Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Things take time!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. H0w31rd

H0w31rd Active Member

Right now focus on being consistent and doing things exactly the same. When you find what works for you, being able to repeat is important. How you hold the slingshot, how you hold the pouch, your anchor point. And stance will all affect your shot.
    Get closer, build your confidence and have fun. When shooting becomes a chore you'll give it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

The guys are right. It takes time to get the muscle memory needed. The little things make big differences. I'd say you are doing good and keep it up. Shoot with purpose and try to pay attention to the position of your hands, arms, forks and pouch keeping them all in perspective. Thanks for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bottlecap

bottlecap New Member

Great responses, thanks, I appreciate them.

10. Kalevala

Kalevala Veteran Member

Don't use over heavy bands in the beginning. Makes shooting much easier.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Stream scoundrel

Stream scoundrel New Member

My two cents would be shoot more and shoot smaller targets ... sounds counterintuitive but it helps focus your shots and makes you far more consistent. But so far you’re on the right path brother

12. Riley

Riley New Member

Like everyone before me practice practice practice. Back elbow up horizontal plane. Anchor point consistently in the same spot. And now the master that pouch release!!!!

I went so far as to buy a smaller slingshot shooting 1632 tubes or Thera band blue and shooting BBs and quarter inch bearings at a golf ball size target. 10 x 12 backdrop to catch all my screwed up shots at 15 feet.
    still haven’t been able to hit crap consistently at 30 feet..

13. bottlecap

bottlecap New Member

Had a brainstorm, (scary), and bought a mop-head ($7) to control bounce-outs from my catch box.
    Still have the towel about 4" from the back, but drilled a hole in the top about 2" from the front and stuck the mop refill through and temporarily secured with some skewers. Also had to cut the plastic band out of the bottom of the mop-head so that it would splay out.
    Works like a charm, just thought I'd share, apologies if it's been discussed already....
    mop1.JPG mop2.JPG mop3.JPG

14. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

I don't think it has been discussed, but previously, I have looked long and hard at some of the replacements in the utility closet at work. :ninja:

15. Stankard757

Stankard757 Member

Haha never would have thought of a mop head.

16. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Active Member

Looks like the Pace picante sauce lid makes for a hot and spicy spinner too!
    Great ideas!