Official size of ammo? | The Slingshot Community Forum

Official size of ammo?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by OldGuy, Mar 3, 2021.

By OldGuy on Mar 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM
  1. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Shooting 3/8" = 9.525mm steel ammo. Noticed some tournament rules limit ammo size to 9mm or less. Is that the case for most contest shooting? 5/16" =7.9375 mm looks to be the next size down available from most AMZ sellers. Who, what if it exists is the governing body for tournament slingshot shooting? Rules and regs can become restrictive and limiting. The open nature of slingshot shooting is one aspect that make it personally attracting.

But for competitive shooting you need defined parameters to ensure it's the shooter vs. the hardware that determines accuracy. Having a set of common rules for competition at the local to World Championship level would allow for proper training. Also for comparison even if you never travel beyond local events if there is a handicapping/ranking system.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by OldGuy, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

I started shooting, 1/2" then went to 3/8" i am now shooting 5/16" and never going back at least for target shooting.
      Now for hunting i like 7/16" or 3/8"
      Cheers

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    2. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

There is no governing body for slingshot tournaments in the U.S. Tournaments that I've been to have had limits such as "Steel ammunition, 1/2-inch or less."
      You can tell the competitors in the World Championships in Italy were using various sizes of ammo from the sound of the thumps hitting the backstop - heavy thumps from the Brits and American, lighter from everyone else. I have looked at the rules for the CSCC (I think that's the governing body in China) and only seen reference to "Steel Spheres" with no defined size.
      Our sport is a long way from becoming recognized by the Olympics. Certainly national and international governing bodies will be required if we ever make that jump.
      But the lack of uniformity, and Olympic competition hasn't taken the edge off my enjoyment yet.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
    3. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Did a quick google. International Slingshot Federation, World Slingshot Federation, Slingshot World Cup 2018. No size or mass limits of ammo. CSCC limits to 9mm or less. Bit fragmented, lack of single standards for competitive shooting. To become an established vs. demonstration Olympic sport the slingshot world will need to establish a single world governing body, sanctioned and recognized World Championship. Seems like slingshot competition is a bit like pro boxing. Multiple governing bodies.

Tried some 1/4" steel. What came with my first slingshot. A clinch grip, tube model made in France. Shooting with the PP Tarus, 0.5mm weight band, Warrior Apache pouch. The little ammo sort of "disappears" in the pouch. Too small a feeling. Right now 3/8" using the smaller Samurai pouch feels the best. Bit curious about trying 5/16" and the Warrior Ninja (smaller than Samurai).

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    4. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

It is possible that ISCOR could grow into a effective governing body. If you are hot to compete I think you can post scores with them online about anytime.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Road Rash

Road Rash Member

Looks like we 3/8" shooters would have a problem with the 9mm limit, being 9.5-something. OTOH, we're ammo supplied/sold at a comp, a switch to a true 9mm would be virtually unnoticeable, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. JMac9

JMac9 Member

My apologies to the OP for having no answers, except..

I've been talking with my brothers about competing virtually using the Zoom meeting platform.

For in the future, I've been looking at apps folks are now using for archery and dart virtual competitions for scoring, and the OBS platform, (a broadcasting software) to eventually put on my website for spectators to interact with other spectators, and of course watch the shooting. [emoji95][emoji1783]

All for fun, community and honing our own skills against each other, regardless of our proximity.

I'm working out the bugs with my brothers right now, but if anyone here would be into something like this, too, you're absolutely welcome.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

7. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

Ill be interested for sure.
      Looking forward.
      Cheers.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    8. JMac9

JMac9 Member

Excellent! I'll post when I have everything worked out.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

9. Dgui

Dgui Veteran Member

5/8 marbles for me.

• Genius Genius x 1
    10. Dgui

Dgui Veteran Member

I consider that good news I love Liberty not conformity.

• Agree Agree x 1