Nucanoe updateupdate | The Slingshot Community Forum

Nucanoe updateupdate

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by st.clair county, Apr 23, 2016.

1. st.clair county

st.clair county Veteran Member

Couldn't find any crappie at the lake so I decided to take a paddle around a pond this afternoon. Wanted a few fish to eat. IMG_20160423_192251.jpg IMG_20160423_192344.jpg IMG_20160423_193715.jpg Traded the cushy seat for a simple bench seat. Bought a regular kayak paddle. The boat is only ten foot long and didn't track well using a canoe paddle. I also found a cheap telescopic rod that fits in the dry hatch. Just wanted something I could throw in the truck and go.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 16
  2. Sanch

Sanch Veteran Member Supporting Member

Aww man wish I could do that makes me miss NC.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  3. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Admin

Grate day for fishing

4. ghost

ghost Veteran Member

Putting my kayak in the gulf tomorrow morning.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  5. honorary pie

honorary pie Veteran Member

Man, thats awesome.. I'm hoping to snag me up some perches if time allows... how do you find the bench seat?

6. st.clair county

It's OK for what I do. I'm not spending all day on the water or paddling great distance.

7. st.clair county

Which one do you have? I fish mostly rivers and have to carry mine a ways to launch.

8. ghost

ghost Veteran Member

I have a perception caster 12.5 sit . On top where I am putting in is only about 20 from the truck to the water.

9. oldmiser

oldmiser Veteran Member

Nice mess of fish....Hum dinger of a small skift....Looks like a good improvement with the seat & paddle...........I had a old one you had too pump up with air.....Never did trust any thing you had to blow up.......Oldmiser

10. August West

August West Veteran Member

Those nucanoes are interesting boats I would love to give one a try. Not many people are fans of those telescopic poles, I love them. Sure they are not as sensitive as a one piece or two piece rod but it is hard to catch fish if you don't have a pole with you and those are absolutely the most convenient.
    Nice mess of gills, one of my favorite fish to eat!

11. Kevin

Kevin Veteran Member

Looks like a good setup. Grab and go fishing. Nice mess of gills too.

12. Bugsbrew

Bugsbrew Veteran Member

Blue Gill fish feed. Gotta love it!

13. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

Never had gills , how do they taste?
    Nice one bud!

14. Skiv

Skiv Active Member

Like wet chicken.

Pretty mild is my memory. I grew up fishin' for bluegill in an old rock quarry about five minutes by bicycle from home. All our mothers worried that we'd fall in and drown, but as far as I know nobody ever did.

Fry 'em in butter. That's all you need to know.

When I was in university a friend of mine stole a chunk of metallic sodium from the chemistry labs. We wrapped it in aluminum foil, poked a couple little holes in it, and tossed it in the quarry at midnight. Took a few seconds for the water to get into the foil, then it evidently made a huge bubble of hydrogen at the bottom of the lake, which promptly went ker-boom. Big purple flash, waterspout, lots of noise.

Scared the living bejasus out of all the folks hiding out in the woods "sharing a blanket." :rotfl:

15. Chuck Daehler

Chuck Daehler Well-Known Member

Canoe spin and fly fishing was my bag in GA...Lake Hartwell...camp on an island overnight with Judd my laborador who was excellent in a canoe...fishing at first light with mists coming off the lake, fry the catch for breakfast on the island, Judd loved fried pan fish..bluegill, sunfish, sometimes a trout or bass... canoe fishing rules...silent, stealthy. I had a Mad River TW Special no keel lake boat that was 17+ ft. long and tracked like crazy...fast, sleek, wood fittings over fiberglass..took a honey moon in it in fact, wife and Judd and lots of "Rec Paks", sealed backpacks full of supplies, 1 week...sea plane to the north with canoe and all of us and equipment/supplies, canoed back. I love canoes. Here up in the high tundra an hour away there's a large trout lake but the walk down from the road is horrendous to portage..so forget it. The no keel feature...it had a very pointed bow and stern and that kept the canoe going straight with J strokes. I had large fiberglass spoon paddles also, it really went fast and with little effort, like a knife through the water. In wind it did well to, the bow and stern kept it from slipping.

Yer setup with collapsible tackle sure looks nice... grab and go fishin'...Tupperware boats are indestructible too..no maintenance, just wash it down sometimes.

If you make two 5 or 6 inch disks out of truck innertube rubber, cut a hole equal to a little smaller than your paddle shaft, cut a slot from the outside into the hole, slide the disks over the shaft about 2 feet from the midpoint on each side of the midpoint, use black electrical or duct tape to patch the slot to make the disk whole again, water will drip no further than those disks and into the lake instead of into the canoe or your hands and arms...keeping things drier. Nice on cold days.

Last edited: May 19, 2016