Tournaments season in Spain is almost stopped in winter so I decided to spend some days of my Christmas vacation enterteined carving and working on this holm oak fork I cut last year.
I also must say that this work wouldn't have been possible without the help and suggestions of @Quercusuber and @Lewis Pride. THANKS! You are great guys.
This fork was cut last year and it was overdried (Does that word exist?) which means that once I took the bark off, it had a lot of cracks.
Furthermore, it had a lot of woodworms inside.
I applied an anti-woodworm treatment for 48 hours that killed all the worms. Then, after a fast sanding process, I applied and filled up all the cracks and the woodworm holes with epoxy.
One day later, it was a pain in the ass to take the leftover epoxy. Long sanding process with 80,120,180,240 and 320 grit sandpaper.
It was time for an olive oil bath for 4 hours. Then I let it drip the fork for a few minutes and cleaned with a clean rag.
I applied after 3 hands of shellac (I don't know the exact translation, sorry) and some hands of super smooth 1200 grit sandpaper.
Finally, this was the result.
(Sorry for the quality of the pics).
I know this is not the prettiest natural fork but when I saw it, I admit it was love at first sight. This fork was going to be mine, carved, worked and finished by me for me.
And after shooting with it this morning, I am even happier !!
I tied up TBG 15/13 mm. 10 shots at 10 meters away with 8mm steel balls. Target as I prove is 5 cm (2 inches more or less) big.
Damn, I never expected I was going to be so accurate with it!
Thank you very much again to Quercusuber and Lewis for the help and also to my father for the hi-tech anti-swinging system on the target lol