Well, @Devils son in law already posted a couple shots of the finished sling, but I thought I'd give you guys a quick build along thread. Here's where I started—A slightly gnarley maple fork that felt really comfy in my left hand (I'm a right hand hold):
Next, since this was for DSIL, it had to have a fancy butt cap, so I used a piece of box elder burl from a huge burl I cut up. A nail and a spacer were used with 5 min epoxy to glue everything up:
Then off to the spindle sander:
Hand sanding with gaps and holes filled with 'lifts' of super glue.
Box elder burl has a lovely intense red color, which comes out with finishing. I didn't want a strong yellow tint that unboiled linseed oil gives wood, so I used mineral oil instead to keep it untinted. A quick rub of wax, and she's done!
Hope you enjoyed the build along!