Mountain lion with slingshot | The Slingshot Community Forum

Mountain lion with slingshot

Discussion in 'Slingshot Hunting' started by Humwild, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Humwild

Humwild Member

Anyone kill a lion with a sling bow?

2. Devils son in law

Devils son in law Veteran Member

:nailbite:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

Humm interesting question. Now hunting a mountain lion with a sling bow. Yes it would kill it. Shot placement like all other shots is important.
    I am guessing this would be more of a sport than a necessity hunt?
    Not my cup of tea. On a different context: Being hunted yourself is a rush like nothing else, that is hard to explain. It’s weird how some seemed to have thrilled for it, while others panicked with blank fear in the face. The mind is heightened (hyper alert), your eyes scan for the slightest movement, the simplest noise Is so loud but blurs out because you are trying to think of possible ambushes or traps. Your eyes move towards a noise without thinking. The concept of time doesn’t seem like reality as we know it. You always hoped you learned and trained enough. Sometimes luck just ran out for a few. I will never forget them.
    Back to the topic. But having one of these cats circle back on you and pounce on your back, with teeth sank into your neck and jaws clamped tighter than a vise grip. Ooooo. What a rush, but give me a 45acp or 10mm. Screw the slingbow.
    Hunt the good.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Humwild

Humwild Member

I'm not sure it's legal in the state. But curious where slingbows are legal method of harvest for big game?

5. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Not sure what the specific regs are in WI. Not a hunter. Old neighbor and friend is a retired game warden. When I asked about dealing with the overpopulation of coons after they started trashing the veg and fruit gardens he noted as far as he knew it's ok to trap, kill by whatever means I desire anytime of the year. Pretty much anything that was not listed as wildlife game or protected is open to killing. That's a huge couple groups in WI.

Unsure of the status of mtn lion/cougars. The few we have around here have scared me out of the wood for after sunset hikes. Use to enjoy night hikes and snowshoe hikes. Whole different world after sunset. The same neighbor is a big game trophy hunter. Grizz/brn bear hunting he was the back up shooter. Musk Ox hunting his guide was the back up shooter. When he was in Africa the guides were also the back up shooters. Cougar. I would really consider a back up shooter. Use those impact opening, mechanical blade broadheads. Friend started using them for deer hunting with a crossbow. Swears by them in terms of effectiveness.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  6. Humwild

Humwild Member

So I did a little research. Slingbows don't seem to be a legally recognized tool to take big game, including lions, here. Yes a back up shooter isn't a bad idea, but the legality of that is also questionable here. I was just thinking using a slingbows would be a unique way to harvest one. Oh well... Maybe I'll get a coon or coyote instead.

7. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

A real freaking rush would be to spear hunt one. NOT. I will stick to my backyard squirrels.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Too many coons and coyotes around here. Both are getting to acclimated to humans. Makes the 1st round an easier shot. Notice something over the years. Coyotes around. No wolves and fox. Wolves around. Foxes around. No coyotes and the deer disappear. Personal preference for wolves and foxes. So far, no known dog kills by wolves on our rural township road. Two dogs killed by coyotes. Unfortunately you need a wolf/coyote proof kennel if you own a dog and leave it outside for more than poo/pee break. Life in the Northwoods.

My every day carry outside is my Helle Fjellkniven. Probably not much use against any 4 legged critter. Was considering a holster for the target pistol. But a bit too long barrel. Thinking about a compact 9mm and taking a course in proper close shooting. For now it will be the PP Tarus once the holster arrives. Again, probably not much use against any critter. Probably just piss it off vs. chase it away. Shoot something. You need to efficiently kill it.

9. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

10. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

Thinking might have to be a little to close for a kill shot , kinetic energy for the arrow to make a pass-through or a kill shot would be hard with a sling bow even a 50lb recurve ,thinking the more distance you have a way from that cat the better your life expectancy is . But hey it’s been done with a knife so have fun .........

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Nico

Nico Veteran Member

A mature experienced Mountain Lion is a very imposing being, as an apex predator it has an almost diabolic intelligence about mankind. Speaking from personal experience as a rabbit hunter in Mountain lion country, they're so stealthy and intelligent you wont ever see them until you just happen upon each other.

I went through this last October and I have to tell you when that big kitty stares at you with an inquisitive (is he food or competition) look it takes away your bravado. Never show them fear no matter how creepy those glowing green eyes appear and never turn your back on them. They even seem to understand how to test the range of your chosen weapon.

Unless you find a young puma transitioning into adulthood or tree one with well trained dogs its a tough task to get proper shot placement with most weapons let alone a sling-bow.

I have had run ins with them and I'd rather let live with those big Cats as long as they don't try to kill me.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

@Nico I agree with you. I rather leave them alone. But rather arm myself with large caliber firearm if I had too.
    That is not my cup of tea using a slingbow to hunt.
    If I had a choice, I rather be hunted by a man than a mountain lion or any apex animal. A cat could follow you for days, and the stealth is like a ghost.

13. Humwild

Humwild Member

Gents,
    Appreciate the discussion. Just an entertaining thought...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Years ago I remember reading a few articles about Cougar encounters. Mtn biker I think out in CA that had a bad encounter with a mtn. lion. One was killed. Literally ripped off his bike before he knew what happened. Another was a backcountry minimalist backpacker. Felt being eyeballed at a watering hole. Turned around and saw the mtn lion starring him down. Silent, stealthy, top of the food pyramid creature.

One of the two creatures that has stopped me from full moon night hikes and snowshoe hikes.

15. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

@OldGuy what was the second creature? Bigfoot or old ladies? Jk.

16. Nico

Nico Veteran Member

Oh yeah.. The mountain lion is super stealthy we had many near run ins till the one face to face and then few other near run ins literally minutes off. I respect the puma but I would only ever kill one if I had no alternative but usually that's when they're on you.