OTT - More freestyling | The Slingshot Community Forum

OTT More freestyling

Discussion in 'Homemade Slingshots' started by cromag, Jun 22, 2021.

By cromag on Jun 22, 2021 at 2:30 PM
  1. cromag

cromag Member

I had a crazy idea to see if i could make a draw length extending frame and this was the result. It needs one more coat of finish before banding and giving it a test run. My bride says she hopes it is a failure so she can keep it just to look at . :) P6220016 (Medium).JPG P6220017 (Medium).JPG P6220018 (Medium).JPG P6220020 (Medium).JPG P6220023 (Medium).JPG

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6

Comments

Discussion in 'Homemade Slingshots' started by cromag, Jun 22, 2021.

1. andypandy

andypandy Well-Known Member

The ergonomics on that frame :tu::tu:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    2. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

Sure looks lovely! Let us know how it shoots? Looks like you are sneaking up on the Pickle Fork size gap.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    3. cromag

cromag Member

1 1/4" gap Monroe , from there to 1 3/4 seems to suit my "ranging" best. I certainly prefer the narrower OTT set-up but doubt I'll do PF much anymore. There are plenty of narrow gappers that are pocketable like a PF which give me a little more piece of mind when shooting on the go.:) Your PF advice with the grip helped a bunch , thanks again:tu:

4. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

The fun in the slingshot journey is finding what works best for yourself. End result is to get the ammo down range, but there is 1001 ways to make it happen. Your work is beautiful and inspiring to see. Keep 'em coming!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Cool frame looks kinda like a bird on the handle with lanyard hole pretty neat

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    6. Set23

Set23 New Member

really nice looking work. curious what you shaped it with? also, is it walnut with cherry core? (i just like to try to guess wood, lol)

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    7. cromag

cromag Member

Good guess! walnut on cherry. Used a bandsaw to make the rough cut and then a good deal of the shaping on a belt sander mounted upside down with a 60 grit belt. I have an old 1/4" drill mounted the same way with sanding drums to get in the tighter areas.
      Shot it yesterday and the shooting is easy. Very solid grip with that hook on the handle , just a bit tight so I'm making another one with a few mods instead of taking a rasp to this one. It does extend the draw length a bit but that only translates into an active band length that increases by about a half inch , if that. Still waiting for a new chrony to attempt a comparison with a more conventional frame.

8. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

Like it ,making one kinda the same from Desert ironwood , fun style