Might be giving up on full butterfly | The Slingshot Community Forum

Might be giving up on full butterfly

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by EllipsisNL, Apr 8, 2021.

By EllipsisNL on Apr 8, 2021 at 12:30 AM
  1. EllipsisNL

EllipsisNL New Member

Well, I suppose it's time to move on. I've been practicing full butterfly shooting for about a month straight and it's been a roller coaster - some days I swear I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, other days I've been terrifyingly accurate.

But, after putting serious thought into it, I conclude that I just can't seem to get a comfortable pouch hold. Having a normal pinch grip works for a few shots but even with a low draw weight the hold is still an awkward over extension of the wrist and it gets dicey in a hurry. I tried experimenting with a couple other pouch grips, but either couldn't get a consistent pouch release, or in one case speedbumped over my thumb and launched the pouch into the bottom of my jaw, left a big juicy bruise.

If anyone has any tried and true butterfly pouch holds for full butterfly, let me know - otherwise it's back to half butterfly for me!

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by EllipsisNL, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

You didn't say if you are shooting PFS or a Gapper frame? Pouch holds are different. If you are trying to use a PFS grip on a wide fork frame, you are doing extra work with you hand that you don't need too.

Second point, you might find Semi-butterfly better suited to your liking. Not every butterfly shot is stretched to the max. I've been an avid student of PFS Semi-butterfly and working quite well. Recently, I have become very interested in studying Zac Fowler's style. Note that he does not shoot PFS and he does not shoot full butterfly. Not saying that he can not, I've noticed recently that 99% of the time he is shooting his Sparrow design and release arm is cocked to get perfect alignment. He also has a unique middle finger pouch hold that I have not yet tested.

Point is, there are many styles and techniques to "Butterfly". If PFS is not your thing, then try shooting a wide fork and let the pouch stay straight.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    2. EllipsisNL

EllipsisNL New Member

Sorry I forgot to mention. I don't do pfs, mostly using a 2.5" wide TTF shooter.

3. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

Pouch hold is vital to a good shot and unforgiving for sure. For me I have to have my thumb to the ground rather then facing up when I pull full butterfly. I don't twist or tweak, there's really no need especially if you are shooting TTF. Good luck with your decision.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    4. H0w31rd

H0w31rd Well-Known Member

I think Zac Fowler uses a middle finger pouch hold because of speed shooting. The first finger pushes the ball into the pouch and you grip the pouch with the thumb and middle finger. I think pfshooter and gzk use this grip also. I find it an accurate shooting hold but my pouch release feels weak.

5. Sling Perfection

Sling Perfection New Member

I also use a middlefinger pouch hold. for speedshooting and target shooting. i´m really comfortable with it. I think it makes no difference to indexfinger pouch hold. But it´s much faster

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    6. Dale

Dale New Member

I shoot “modified” butterfly. 9” bands and I thought about going back to cheek anchor but I stuck it out and I am getting better. I also shoot thumb down. I’ve not tried pfs but might once I get a little better.