Metropolicity & Moniker - The Rev6 & Hand Position | The Slingshot Community Forum

Metropolicity & Moniker - The Rev6 & Hand Position

Discussion in 'Templates & Designs' started by Clever Moniker, Aug 15, 2014.

By Clever Moniker on Aug 15, 2014 at 4:55 PM
  1. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker Administrator Staff Member Admin

So last week I came to Eric needing some help on a new design I was working on. The idea had been brewing when CanOpener and I made a trade a while back.

That is, the notion that the way we currently shoot a dedicated side shooter in TTF with the index and thumb in a perfect line is incorrect. I'm not talking about designs which are trying a facilitate varying grips, rather, dedicated side shooters.

Here is the design I gave CanOpener to make me when he requested what I would like for our trade:
    CM1.jpg

https://www.slingshotcommunity.com/threads/my-slingshot-from-can-opener.26/#post-1437

As you can see, the thumb is positioned slightly higher then the index finger.

I believe this is good because it imitates the natural position of the hand, and ensures it is straight! If we were to make a fist we can see this more clearly.

1.jpg

Even when the hand is splayed, there still exists an angle.

2.jpg

So the only way dedicated side shooters can avoid canting of forks is if the forearm internally rotates to compensate for the design.

Why do this? Why not not build the design around the way the body is naturally positioned?

So I contacted @Metropolicity as a needed help with the design. He really helped clean up the design for me and gave great input. He's seriously great to work with!

In the design, the index is positioned about 1/4" offset from the thumb. This leaves the top fork, slightly longer then the bottom fork. This design is meant to accommodate clamps, but what happens if we also wanted to use the wrap and tuck? A wrap and tuck would not work in this case, so he gave some alternate ideas to deal with the issue and the design really came to life! Now we didn't just need to rely on a clamping method to keep the bands in place! :)

fork.jpg

He saw that the middle finger position was slightly off on my original design, so after an adjustment, the final revision had been made. Revision 6.

So he hit up his shop on the weekend and hammered out a few prototypes to test!!!! Soon one will be shipped and in my hand to play with.

This wouldn't have turned out as well as it did it it wasn't for Metro, so it's not "my" design as much as it is ours. Unless shit hits the fan and the design doesn't work... then this is just his design. ;) Haha.

Truth is, this is what it all about for me, connecting with like minded individuals, to share ideas and grow!

2.jpg

Now the testing phase will begin!

Thanks for everything Metro,
    Cheers,
    Clever Moniker

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 9

Comments

Discussion in 'Templates & Designs' started by Clever Moniker, Aug 15, 2014.

1. GrayWolf

GrayWolf Active Member

A great idea and a cool design!! As someone who has gone away from a thumb support, I like the idea of the offset grip position. I'm betting that if you go with a more asymmetrical grip design, you will have the offset even more than 1/4" ....closer to 1/2" for a very comfortable, and relaxed grip.

I like what I'm seeing so far....can't wait to see one ready to shoot and then the next step of the evolution of this one. I'm sure I'll be standing in like to buy one!!

Todd

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    2. Scott Kilpatrick

Scott Kilpatrick Active Member

Very cool

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    3. PorkChopSling

PorkChopSling Veteran Member

Great idea and love the design! Can't wait to see how it shoots :)

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    4. Clever Moniker

Thanks guys. :)

Hope it turns out well!! We will see. I agree @GrayWolf I suspect the offset is closer to 1/2" as well. I wanted to be fairly conservative on a new design though. :)

5. Metropolicity

Metropolicity Veteran Member Vendor

Woo! I shipped off the blanks on Saturday, should with you mid week. There is a lot of goodies in it so make sure you post about it! :)

6. Clever Moniker

Will do for sure!!! :)

7. DogBox

DogBox Active Member

Mr @Clever Moniker, was that what you were working on at the "kitchen table" in 'The Definition of Love... post..? The Rev.6? I know "busy,busy" and all that, but you have a really keen, thought provoked slingshot there... too many 'more' goodies to play with? Din't shoot well? Couldn't finish it as all your tools went blunt and you woke up somewhere else and it wasn't your fault....?

8. Clever Moniker

Haha, Amy won't kill me just yet. Actually, I'm now onto Revision 10 of (which yes, that's was what I was working on) this slingshot but still keeping in line with the original concept! :)

9. Toddy

Toddy Veteran Member

I truly love to see innovation. You can plainly see the thought process that went into this frame. Very nice work Gents

10. DogBox

DogBox Active Member

Mr @Clever Moniker said: "..I'm actually onto Revision 10... but still keeping in line with the Original Concept..." Oh, so what did Revision 7,8 & 9 look like? let alone 10...?!
      Do we at least get a peek at all these ideas coming into play...? Or, have they spurned other plans for other designs and now you have a whole "Revision Family!??" C'mon, give us a look...
      [you know all the accolades you'll get, so 'out with it!']

11. Clever Moniker

This is the R6:
      https://www.slingshotcommunity.com/threads/rev6-prototype.1106/
      [​IMG]

This is the R10:
      [​IMG]

Everytime I make even the smallest change, I save the work as a new revision on my computer... it's only until I have a big "update" as it were that I present the work.

The Changes:
      In the R10, I made it so the thumb scallop was deeper, smaller, and to hold the thumb more comfortably.

I moved away from utilizing the FlipClips, not because I don't like them, just because it's much easier for me to build it without it, and I have limited tools at home.

I also added contouring for comfort where on the R6, it was simply routed along the whole design. After extended shooting, I found a regular routed edge to not be comfortable in a pinch grip.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    12. GrayWolf

GrayWolf Active Member

I like these new changes. It's good to see someone making improvements for comfort as well as looks. As a fellow pinch grip shooter, I appreciate a frame that is contoured, not just routed.

Flip clips are ok....I have them on a couple of frames that I'm shooting, but on a frame that is mostly or all wood....they do look out of place (to me). I really like the way this frame looks without them.

Keep up the great work.

13. Clever Moniker

Thanks for the nice comments GrayWolf. :) If it wasn't for all the promised frames I have to build, you'd be next for me to give a frame too. Once I get caught up on my other projects... I'd love for you to test out my slingshot. :)

14. DogBox

DogBox Active Member

Hey! Mr @Clever Moniker! Nice Going! Love 'em both!!! ;) And like Gray Wolf says:"Comfort should play a big part." We're not making "knifes & forks" here, where one design fits all in mass production. As you noticed the grip of the forefinger and thumb are not inline 'how' they hold over the shape - "sharpish edges" aren't the most pleasant.
      All I can say is, "Love the Attention to Detail!" What 'feels good' has to shoot good!
      [slingshots! boy!!, slingshots!!!]

15. GrayWolf

GrayWolf Active Member

@Clever Moniker...I appreciate the thoughts. I'm glad you are busy making frames...you have a very good design and it keeps getting better all the time. Hopefully, you and Mrs. Moniker will be able to make one of the tournaments this year and I can check out that frame.

16. rawslingshots

rawslingshots New Member

advanced smart design Gents! will try this one for sure! #sideshooterlove

17. Clever Moniker