Matching DIY pouches to ammo | The Slingshot Community Forum

Matching DIY pouches to ammo

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by Y-onathan, Sep 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Y-onathan

Y-onathan New Member

Dear all,
    I am thinking about doing my own bandsets and in that relation, I came across a lot of information regarding band materials. I found a lot about the impact of different dimensions, such as the thickness and the length of the bands. In addition, I found enough information about how to attach the bands to the fork and to the pouch. So far, so good.
    However, what I'm missing is, what there is to be considered, when it comes to the size of the pouch. Is there anything to consider at all?
    How do I know if a pouch is too thick, or too thin, or too soft, or too stiff, to big, or too small? (Well hopefully, myself would recognize if a pouch is too small)
    I would highly appreciate if anybody could give me brief overview on "do's" and "don'ts" when it comes to doing your own pouches. Any tables giving the right sizes to the appropriate ammo would come in handy.

By the way, so far I like to shoot 3/8 steel ammo, so this is what I would like to go for.

Cheers!
    Y-onathan

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  2. H0w31rd

H0w31rd Well-Known Member

Usually you want to match your ammo to the pouch. Any extra material on the pouch causes drag. Most people want to cup the ammo and be able to feel it so softer material. I use 2" x . 5" for 3/8 ammo. Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

You'll have to extrapolate a little, but you may find this helpful.
    microfiber-pouch-sizes.jpg
    It's from Slingshooting.com, and includes the pouch size and intended ammo sizes.
    I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to pouches. My minimums are that the width at least equals the ammo diameter, and the length is at least five times the ammo diameter - measured between the holes for band mounting.
    Good luck!

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. AdamvVS

AdamvVS Veteran Member

Im not to picky on a pouch i use a wealthy amount of leather same size that the marksmans bands come with I try to stick with certain things that are easy to come by I even bought a pouch die that is that size

5. StringSlap

StringSlap Well-Known Member

In my experience, a pouch that is a little bit too big is much better than one a little too small. I have no trouble shooting 1/4" steel with a leather pouch that I shoot marbles with that measures 2.75" X .75". However, shooting a marble with a BB pouch is a no go!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Y-onathan

Y-onathan New Member

Thanks to you all, for those hints. I defenitely will take those hints of yours in to account!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  7. SteveJ

SteveJ New Member

Man that sound giant! I use a 45mm x 14- 15 ,, but I hold ammo not pouch, I guess that makes the difference

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
  8. Samurai Samoht

Samurai Samoht Well-Known Member

I haven't tried everything out there but my go-to for a long time has been the Warrior Pouches - Samurai pouch which is 63mm x 15mm. I primarily shoot with 3/8" steel but this easily handles larger and smaller ammo.
    That being said I have also recently been enjoying a pouch that I got with one of my J5 Custom slingshots. It's 48mm x 15mm. No problem with 3/8" steel so far. Haven't tried larger than that though.

Attached Files:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  9. SteveJ

SteveJ New Member

J5 cool I want one someday. Are you a ammo pinch shooter? I am because when I got into SS a few months ago I became enamored w/ Dgui shooting, and Joeys and Leos

10. Samurai Samoht

Great stuff! Joey does fantastic work and is a pleasure to deal with. I pinch the pouch, not directly on the ammo. I have not made a foray into speed shooting which seems to be where that works really well.

11. SteveJ

SteveJ New Member

Im sure you have seen Leo Cernas speed shooting on youtube , but if not you should check it out. My "speed" shooting isnt fast yet, but Im a whole lot faster than when I did a pouch hold , it took me forever to get ready to fire again lol

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  12. Samurai Samoht

Yes I have! Amazing how fast some people are! I am primarily a TTF target shooter but perhaps one day Ill mess around with an OTT setup again and play around with the speed shooting technique. :)