Undefined - Makers mark on Naturals? | Page 2 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Undefined Makers mark on Naturals?

Discussion in 'Homemade Slingshots' started by Bruce, Jan 16, 2018.

By Bruce on Jan 16, 2018 at 5:28 PM
  1. Bruce

Bruce Guest

I've thought about this for a long time and I'm torn. Just to be clear, I don't sell, advertise them, plan on starting a business or anything like that with my frames.

On one hand, I love the clean and simple look of a natural with no marks or additions to it. On the other hand, I do like the look of a well placed and distinguishing mark to let people know it's your frame.

To be honest, I don't even know how to go about putting a proper makers mark on one. I've tried on a couple of dud frames, using a cheap wood burner and can never get it right or looking decent. It always follows the grain, slips out, burns to deep on some spots, is uneven etc. I'd hate to finish a frame and flub up a mark and have to go about covering it up somehow.

Are guys using a wood burning stamp thingy to do them so nicely? I have and use a "Handmade by ...." from Lee Valley that I use on other woodworking projects (too big and not appropriate for frames) and can burn onto wood veneer business cards, so I'm thinking this is what some of the big guns are using.

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
?

Do homemade naturals need a makers mark?

This poll will close on Apr 16, 2026 at 6:28 PM.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Don't care either way

13 vote(s)
    48.1%

Comments

Discussion in 'Homemade Slingshots' started by Bruce, Jan 16, 2018.

1. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Active Member Vendor

I have boxes of naturals I have received as gifts and trades...after a few years, I can't remember who made it without a makers mark, and thus it loses some of its personal value. I say always mark your work.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
      • Agree Agree x 4
    2. Bruce

Bruce Guest

Thanks Nathan.

That was kind of my thought in coming up with one and marking my frames.

3. Can-killa

Can-killa New Member

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

4. Devils son in law

Devils son in law Veteran Member

That being said, I have slingshots built with all sorts of materials with no makers mark and I wish I had made a label or tag to put on them when I received them so I could remember who made em.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Bruce

Bruce Guest

I am still working on something, going back and forth between wood burning pen and wood burning stamp. I just don't know how a stamp will do on naturals, given the shape and curve to them.

For the time being, I have been able to see how big a mark I want by placing a piece of Scotch Tape on any given frame and using a fine tip sharpie to temporarily lay it out.

I'm getting closer to finally getting something on my frames. It may stay this way, it may evolve into a different play on the design or may get squashed and redone. But at least it'll be a start.

6. Bruce

Bruce Guest

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Devils son in law

I was thinking not only a makers mark but a company name as well. Being a fan of the blues I was thinking maybe....Black Cat Bone or Mojo Hand Catapults. Or, since I watched Dolomite the other night, maybe... Boogie Down Slingshots! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. Bruce

Bruce Guest

Well I hummed and hahed, redrew, second guessed, went back and forth and finally went back to my original idea for a makers mark.

Thanks to everyone for their help, suggestions and encouragement during the process. I bounced some ideas off a few of you and everyone who I reached out to was more than willing to help me out.

I placed an order tonight for a brass head custom branding iron, 1/2" or approx 13mm. My attempt at a DIY version flopped pretty quickly and only set me back $3.50, but it was worth a shot.

It's coming from Hong Kong, so who knows when it will arrive in Canada. I just hope it works and I can start applying my mark to some of my frames. I will offer the recipient of the 2 PFS naturals I am giving away the option to delay delivery and have them branded if they choose.

I'll wait to reveal the mark on a frame as it won't be too exciting to see a black and white pic of it. But believe I showed a few guys the general concept and what it means. It isn't an earth shattering or eye dropping mark, but means something to me, plus it got my wife's approval and she knew exactly what it was when I showed her.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
    9. Hand over Fist

Hand over Fist Active Member

Cool Bruce - keen to see what the wife has allowed you to use :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Devils son in law

If it's something only he and his wife know.....I just hope it's hers and not his! ;)

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    11. Bruce

Bruce Guest

It's funny you say that.

I was holding a frame one night on the couch, playing with scotch tape and a sharpie trying to figure out size and location of where I would put it, being somewhat secretive. I guess I was smiling and not being forthcoming with what I was doing and had a schoolboy grin on my face. So she says "what are you doing over there with that grin on your face, drawing penises on your slingshots".

That said, my makers mark is NOT a penis.

As Nathan and a few others commented on, it is just nice to have something to remember who made what frame when they get in others hands.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

I will have to send mine back to get branded. Interested to see it.

13. Hand over Fist

No wonder she recognised it right away.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Devils son in law

Hahaha better drawing a penis on your slingshot than drawing a slingshot on your....nevermind!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    15. Bruce

Bruce Guest

Or maybe after seeing it, you'll be happy you got one without the mark or Scarlet letter attached to them.

I hope I am making the right choice and can get it to work. I'll be testing it out plenty of scraps and a few duds before trying on frames.

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

For $3.50 if it's terrible you haven't lost much, it's worth a shout.

17. Bruce

Bruce Guest

No, the $3.50 was an attempt at me making my own stamp that failed. I ended up looking on Etsy and finally settled on purchasing through Amazon for $40 canadian, shipped, no tax, so still cheap. I just hope it's useable. At least with Amazon, I have some buyer protection.

I tried a wood burning pen, but they didn't work either. It did show me what a stamp cold do though, it came with this which worked quite well.

After using the stamp, I knew that's what I wanted to do.

This is NOT my mark, just a stamp that came with a wood burning pen kit. My hope is the stamp I ordered will work just saw well.
      [​IMG]

18. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

Sure it will.

19. Bruce

Bruce Guest

It's in Canada now. Hopefully no customs or long delays, it's a brass stamp for goodness sake.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    20. Hand over Fist

Looking forward to seeing the results.

• Agree Agree x 1