Made a Shaving Horse | Page 2 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Made a Shaving Horse

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Metropolicity, Aug 3, 2014.

By Metropolicity on Aug 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM
  1. Metropolicity

Metropolicity Veteran Member Vendor

After watching a few @Pawpawsailor videos, I really wanted to know what the bench he was sitting on was called. A few google searches later, I find it, a shaving horse. In ye olden times, these would be made from logs to shave poles, or basically anything.

I used simple dimensional lumber, 2x6's for the frame, 2x4 for the swing arm. I milled down the Center plank on a table saw to get the right width (4.5"). I made it so it folded flat, IF I needed to transport it.

Works very well and I even made the seat, using the horse! It's a board of local poplar from the 80's. It was a little cupped which made a very comfortable seat!

I will be making many slings with this and I am pretty happy for 2 hours work. A lot of it was measure, mark, eyeball, fit and then cut. I have long arms, long torso and short legs, a weird combo for this type of tool but I nailed the dimensions for my uses.

Anyways, I took a celebration photo of myself since I look like I am on a carnival ride when I am on it

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407118358.857992.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407118391.658748.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407118416.361411.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407118426.078757.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407118508.952841.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407118526.803854.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
Eric Au is the designer and owner of Metro Grade Goods. A Canadian company dedicated to providing slingshot enthusiasts with uniquely made quality slingshots and accessories. Eric's background has a strong emphasis on industrial design and material process which is clearly reflected in his work.

You can purchase his designs on the Metro grade Goods website here:
http://metrogradegoods.com/

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Metropolicity, Aug 3, 2014.

1. JonM

JonM Active Member

Nicely done, the finish makes it look fast:D

2. Metropolicity

Metropolicity Veteran Member Vendor

It needs flames and pin striping.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    3. Thistle

Thistle Guest

I did the same thing -- went searching online to see if I could figure out what he was playing with. It looked like some sort of weird horse. :rolleyes: He's definitely got some pretty cool stuff.

There are some really nice YT vids, and online diagrams and instructions, but waaay beyond my skill level -- which is basically zero with this sort of stuff.

But you did great. You might have even broken a world record. And this may even be the first fire-engine red that I've seen. Excellent job, really. I don't think you would have any trouble selling a few of those. I'll take mine in bright green and electric purple. :D