Anyone remember this root burl that I asked about a while ago?
I finally cut into it and it was not fantastic. I almost tossed the whole thing in the trash but decided to attempt to save it instead. I had decided on the Kpx pattern and started by slabbing off a couple of parallel section so I could line up the pattern. Everything looked good at this point and my hopes were high. I rough-cut the shape and noticed that the wood toward the center was very resinous (first sign of trouble) and I could confirm that this came from a Douglas Fir Tree. I set it aside to let it dry some more and when I got back to it to start doing the final shaping I noticed that there was a vein of punky wood running through the middle (second sign of trouble). I dug out as much of the wood as I could and filled the cavity with epoxy.
As I worked on the piece I came across a few small veins of softer very sappy wood, unlike the wood that was in the middle that was dry and brittle. I tried to remove the sappy wood and filled most of the voids with cinnamon and super glue. Enough of my complaining, here are the finished photos: