I'm from United Kingdom | The Slingshot Community Forum

I'm from United Kingdom

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Timz62, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Timz62

Timz62 New Member

Hi all,
    I am new to this slingshot forum and have taken up a great interest in this area. My father has a catapult (that's what we call it, it's the same as a slingshot?) which he has not used it for many years. Sadly he died recently and now I have his catapult. It has a very old latex rubber tubing which was crumbling, stiff and flaky. Had to discard the tubing and would appreciate your advice on what tubing should I get as I would love to put my father's catapult to good use again.
    While I wait for your answers, I decided to order another catapult (a cheap one to start me off as no point in buying an expensive one as I am not an expert yet!). It is a OTT flat tapered rubber band. The dimensions as far as I measure them are: 19mm at the fork, 12mm at the pouch. The length of the band is approximately 210mm. The pouch size is 44mm long by 12mm wide. The fork spacing is 41mm. I have absolutely no idea of the "power" of this catapult but when I had a go, goodness me they're pretty fast! Will start practicing with beer cans as targets when the weather is warmer later this year.
    My father's catapult's dimensions are:
    Fork space: 64mm, Fork thickness: 6mm. Pouch size: 127mm x 30mm.
    See photos.

My "throw" from fork (at arm's length) to my cheek (you call this as anchor point?) is between 88-89cm. So what's the recommended tubing length and how to put them together would be of great help.

Thank you all, stay healthy and keep safe.

Tim

Attached Files:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
  2. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

Welcome from Houston

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  3. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

Welcome mate!

4. The preacher

The preacher Member

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

5. Fidencio León Burgos

Fidencio León Burgos Veteran Member

Welcome fron Mexico.

6. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

Welcome from the UK. You can buy some Barnett tubes that will fit over it. In all honesty they aren't the best to shoot but the sentimental value would be good to get it going again. Check out the link below.

Looks like an old strike 9, a black widow without the arm rest.

Try a slingshot from waspslingshots uk if you haven't already.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barnett-...-/264775407141?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

7. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

The ratio of stetch varies with different rubbers. A straight cut band pure latex can go 5 to 1 stretch factor and last while others may be 4 to 1 achieving the same thing. Many rubbers to choose from. I'd visit simple shot and try a few of their bands.
    Welcome to the forum!

8. Timz62

Timz62 New Member

Oh thank you! I will order this. Yes, it would be nice to get it going again. Mind explaining why they "aren't the best to shoot"? Something to look out for, when I need, perhaps, to upgrade to a better catapult? Points to look out for?

Once again, many thanks for your help, Mr Muz.

Tim

9. Timz62

Timz62 New Member

Many thanks for your advice. Yeah, a lot says it is something in the ratio of 5:1 or 4:1. Cheers!!

Tim

10. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

It's hard to explain but modern frames are designed better these days with comfort and accuracy in mind. Don't get me wrong you can still shoot to a high accuracy with that style frame but you will find it easier to learn with a modern frame and flat band. I would reccomend a wasp uniphoxx or I've heard good things about there newest design but I'm yet to try that out so couldn't comment but don't think you would go wrong.

11. Zippy

Zippy Veteran Member

Welcome to the addiction from upload_2021-1-13_7-5-36.png

12. StringSlap

StringSlap Veteran Member

Welcome!

13. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

Hi! Catapult, proper English. SlingShot, American English:) Bit like grey v. gray. Everyone more or less understands what is meant.

14. Timz62

Timz62 New Member

Got the replacement bands from Barnett's as advised. Fitted to my dad's catapult and left it for 24 hours (alcohol to evaporate). Then I tried to pull the band, gosh, the strength of it!! So strong! Tried it with some mud shots (not steel balls for the moment as I need to ensure all is OK first). Hmmm, accuracy is very difficult to master with this catapult and after reading your comments again about another suggestion, the Wasp Uniphoxx. I will consider buying that, but I'll keep the Barnett's. Thank you...

15. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

Yes you will get on better with the wasp, like I said it's hard to explain but seems like you are on the way to finding out why they are not as good as modern frames.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2