I make knives. | The Slingshot Community Forum

I make knives.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stephen Cooper, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Stephen Cooper

Stephen Cooper Active Member

I am a journeyman bladesmith and just wanted to share my latest knife that I made. This one I have been using and abusing for about a month and have had superb reliability out of it. I use railroad spikes to make most of my knive because I have had great success from them, they are high in carbon and hold a edge very well and the blade is easy to maintain.

This model is my camper special and is has a overall blade length of 9 inches and I use a 22 degree bevel on this blade. It is just under a 1/4" in width and has a little bit of weight to it, but it's not to the point of being annoying. This allows it to also be used a very effective chopping knife as well without damaging the metal or breaking the blade. This is a full profile tanged blade and after heat treating it has a Rockwell hardness rating of 62, which I was quite impressed with.

The sheath I made out of some spare leather I had here, it was soaked and form fitted to the blade and then I laced the sides with some leather strips however, I have found that when I have to lay on the ground the leather gets scuffed up very badly and will eventually cause the leather to tear, I have to find a better method to do the sheaths. Leather is still new to me.

The handle on this one is made out of hickory and I peened the brass rivets as well as used a 2 part epoxy to fix the handles to the blade.

I have many more that I have made, if people are interested I'll be happy to post more pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 16
  2. honorary pie

honorary pie Veteran Member

Hell yeah more pics! Nice work man. I don't think you'll have any issues finding a slingmaker to trade with..

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  3. Sanch

Sanch Veteran Member Supporting Member

Very nice work! I'm still working on these 2 puukko for my sons blade steel is L6, I am also a leather worker but a lazy one no sheaths for them yet! 20160406_174320.jpg

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 11
  4. BarkyBow

BarkyBow Veteran Member

I will second what @honorary pie said. I think there is an affinity between slingshots and knives so please post as many pictures as you have. Also if you ever want to trade let me know. As The pie man said I am one of many that would jump at the opportunity to trade with you especially if your work is as nice as that beautiful knife.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  5. mort

mort Member

thats a sweet blade Stephen Cooper :tu:

6. Stephen Cooper

Thanks guys =) I rarely keep a knife that I have made, someone always stops and buys them off of me but this one I have been turning down offers but plan to make more quite similar. It has such a great feel and heft to it.

@Sanch I love those ole finnish Puukko knives, not many know of or use them anymore. That pair looks great and I love that you used leather to make the handles with, like the ole Kabar knives used to do.

7. ghost

ghost Veteran Member

Love them the puukko how long are they.

8. MT100

MT100 Veteran Member

Very nice knife Stephen I really like the contrast on the blade, do you do any full Scandinavian grind work?

I tinker with a bit of knife making and the leatherwork as well so you're in good company :)

9. Martin Whippet

Martin Whippet Active Member Vendor

hi there @Stephen Cooper ,,your knife work is amazing ,,,,i would love to arrange a trade with you . But im unsure of posting blades as im in the UK ,,,let me know your thoughts. Im sure everyone in the forum will validate my work for you ,,Atb Mr Whippet

10. Sanch

3 1/2" blades

11. ghost

ghost Veteran Member

Make a good neck knife.

12. Dgui

Dgui Veteran Member

I could spend way too much on knives. Great works esspecially the pelted blade look which would be such a fine look on a slingshot frame.

13. Stephen Cooper

I actually have a design in my mind for a Damascus steel frames slingshot with clear, pearl flake and silver fillings and a little bit of hardwood like a burl of some type.

14. Stephen Cooper

I have done quite a few Scandi grinds but I personally prefer a hollow grind.

15. Sanch

I got the big brother to that blade.

16. Kevin

Kevin Veteran Member

Very nice work.

17. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy Active Member

Wow, thats an amazing blade! Very pleasing to the eye, especially that peened section on the blade, it contrasts beautifully!