Hunting band taper for .44 lead | The Slingshot Community Forum

Hunting band taper for .44 lead

Discussion in 'Slingshot Hunting' started by Pigeonthumper, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Pigeonthumper

Pigeonthumper New Member

Hey guys I’m looking for a little guidance. I am looking for a good band taper for a hunting rig aimed towards squirrels and pigeons. Right now I’m running .70 precise latex tapered at 25mm to 20mm cut at 9 1/2” starting out for a 35 1/2” draw. For ammo I have access to .445 lead. To me I think this is a little sluggish so I am looking for opinions first before cutting my whole roll of latex looking for the right taper. Also I have been thinking of ordering .390 lead which is almost exactly 10mm. If you have any opinions on that let me know.

I Thank You for your help.

2. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.
    I'd say your current set up might be perfect for big steel (12mm - 1/2-inch), but might be a touch light for .44 lead. You can probably go to a 30-20mm taper for lead, see a good performance boost without losing longevity or increasing draw weight significantly.
    That said, big ammo that seems to be moving slowly can hit awfully hard. If you haven't already, you might want to take a couple of shots at a can filled with water and evaluate the impact.
    A rule of thumb for mid-thickness latex (.60-.70mm) and a 30 inch draw is to cut the width 1.5 times the diameter of glass or clay, 2 times the diameter of steel, and three times the diameter of lead. I like a 3:2 taper for draws around 30 inches and a 2:1 taper for draws over 36 inches, but that's a personal preference.
    Like you, an active length about 1/4 my draw length seems to be a sweet spot. Shortening up to 1/5 does boost the speed, but the draw weight goes way up and the band life goes way down.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  3. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

10mm lead better Best penetration you’re going to get without going two bands with same bands .375 will almost be the same but 10mm wins in penetration .390-95 lead or .375 lead both just about the same as 3/8 and 7/16 so the feel is the same and just a tad poa higher not much ,1” strait or to 1/2 taper for more speed up to 70 yds. Pure latex will give you the most consistency. I set up for 7/16 and get some hand slap with 3/8 but flat and hard with both.when hunting lead just shoot a few first then good to go .

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  4. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

Lol I have very simple mind all the millimeters in inches and tapered and stuff confuse me lol like straight bands slight taper more speed works every time. A set cut length depends on the brand and the latex because I have not found it to be consistent on different brands. Lol but after watching the video of the Tennessee shoot I obviously do not have a setpoint for shooting, kind of in between three-quarter and more to full butterfly for power lock 3/4ish for normal but it floats around because there’s a lot of trees and stuff around here so you don’t get to play like you want to. But I don’t shoot Gallery as much as I should damn house building and a wife now I don’t get to play all the time. Lol think I’m gonna set up a gap per to shoot at that little black spot 35 feet away , quails eyeball lol’s also might try to get out of so much gangster style ,with that set up ,even no I think it looks funny.......:)
    Sorry back to bands ....... go big or go home when hunting or as big as u can if that don’t work pick up the 22 and go hunting lol and if that don’t work go fishing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Msturm

Msturm New Member

Your current taper and set up could be improved by shortening your working band length to get about 500 percent stretch. your currently only stretching about 300 percent. I would mark your current bands at 6.5 in and re-tie them and you might like what you find.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  6. Slinky

Slinky New Member

It depends at what maximum distance you want to hunt. For instance I have a opfs setup which I use single1745 tubes with a 44" behind the ear draw (@500%) with 10mm lead. I only use it at a max distance of 10 yards or so. It's not very fast but it definitely put the lights out on squirrels.

7. ger2020

ger2020 New Member

I like shooting 11mm lead [.44?] with double TBG 20/15 taper and a 90mm outer width frame.

I usually use a 100mm frame with lighter ammo [9mm lead or 8x11mm lead beans] but find this adaptation of just using a smaller width frame to compensate for the 11mm balls weight works really well to keep the same anchor point for both setups and not use a big holdover.

11mm lead is heavy /expensive / uses a lot of lead to cast and not my preferred choice but I cant deny its really fun to use and absolutely devastating. I picked up a mold for them recently out of nostalgia, having sold off my old one ages ago. I remember a 11mm lead knocking a pheasant stone dead with a non penetrating body shot one time.

8. Calculatedhit

Calculatedhit New Member

I shoot .44 for squirrels using gzk green .76 cut at 30mmx10mm giving me 205fps with easy draw weight. It will also throw my #00 lead balls at 280fps which is the same speed for 3/8 steel as they weight the same. I touched 379fps for 1/4th steel using it but the hand slap was no joke. 25mmx15mm is a good all around approching 300fps for 1/4 steel and still getting 200fps for. 44 lead. Today I tried some 20mmx15mm with lead #00 balls weight 54.grains and it put the hurting on these pigeons at around 20 yards. I have included a picture of crono data for multiple tapers but your band brand will be slightly different but will still most likely follow the weight to power curve that can be observed in the data. I was testing a new sling I made two days ago with #00 buck shot and 20mmx15mm and the results are below. The third pigeons eye popped out after taking off the back of its head. #00 lead kills squirrels also but I move up to #000 or .40 cal lead if they are what I plan to hunt. .44 cal kills well buy I don't like its trajectory as anything past 20 yards the point of aim is way to high. For my tastes. Gzk green .72 is also very good and retains most of its speed in the winter months.

Attached Files:

9. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

Why taper 1” strait throws my 40 lead -7/16 steel and .375 lead -3/8 steel lead real nice add butterfly and get them in the 300 + 44 lead is just to heavy for me that .395 grain lead mold is nice the 10mm-40 has by far better penetration than the 44 even better than a .375 we have big lopped eared wabbet s and there like memory foam they absorb everything without even flinching but 10mm kicks there butt ,10lb wabbet s have fun