How this Forum started | The Slingshot Community Forum

How this Forum started

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by AdamvVS, Dec 22, 2021.

By AdamvVS on Dec 22, 2021 at 4:59 PM
  1. AdamvVS

AdamvVS Veteran Member

Slingshot Community!
    Such a great place to share and learn new skills
    But im just curious about its History and as well
    How it all began...
    Your thoughts about when you began your journey hear when you started and who was around that inspired and helped you
    All that good stuff

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 9

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by AdamvVS, Dec 22, 2021.

1. andypandy

andypandy Well-Known Member

Came around after seeing Canopener make some Hdpe frames on YouTube and some hunting videos CleverMoniker made shooting geese and squirrels with an R10. Randy wasn’t making frames from what I was told, a lot of people when I joined are no longer here or don’t see them post anymore. Sanch, Smee, LunaSling etc couple guys I remember who used to post a lot. Good to see new faces and people joining and seeing the community get bigger.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 10
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. andypandy

andypandy Well-Known Member

Remembered when Oldmiser passed away too, that was sad, he used to post on the regular.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

Saw an advertisement with a guy and a slingshot by a sand dune and it looked familiar. Yup spent some time in NC. It was an ad for SimpleShot, Been downhill ever since.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 9
      • Funny Funny x 2
    4. Bimbo

Bimbo Well-Known Member

I was reading a post on an archery forum and a lot of the gys there seemed to shoot slings on the off season, since it's the same mechanical form on both, so, long story short, i gave slingshots a try, sold my hunting bow and been here ever since.

By the way, i started building and giving away slingshots long before i shot my first one.

And also remember old miser, cool guy.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 11
    5. Devils son in law

Devils son in law Veteran Member

I corresponded with Roger (OM) quite a bit and he was surely one of a kind. He was always friendly and very knowledgable about a lot of things. I think of him often!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. hoggy

hoggy Active Member

my descent down the rabbit started with seeing bill hays, treefork and nathan masters shooting. all 3 impressed and inspired and still do.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 8
    7. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

Cool thread, thank Adam for starting it.

I have to admit that the idea was planted when watching a Joeg Sprave video while camped out in a hotel room on a business trip. Not long after watching the video, I found myself on the Simple Shot web site and bought the Hammer XT as I thought it would be cool to shoot both steel balls and arrows. I think I only shot it 4 or 5 times total before moving on to the Scout XT and later a Scout LT.

My journey here on the Community started with the quest for knowledge. It was posts from members like @Mr Muz , @SLING-N-SHOT , @Bone, and a whole lot more that really pulled me in. So many more good friends have come from this venture and greatly enjoy everyone and their contribution to the sport.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

All I know from speaking to Toddy is that it was set up because they wanted a place to talk slingshots without all the politics involved in other forms, I mean jorge got pushed out of the forums because the purists didn't like his way of thinking.

As for me when I got into slingshots the UK Facebook pages were all about popularity and basically if you didn't fall into line with the powers that be you got black listed. I also got burnt on a couple of trade's do it was toddy who put me onto this forum, and can honestly say although I'm signed up to the others I have never posted on them just got a few templates to build. My 1st trade was with @Devils son in law and to this day still have that frame and its the only one I've never shot, it's just on my shelf as a reminder of how great this place is.

I've enjoyed setting up give aways and was humbled by the amount of people who have entered to get something I made.

Merry Christmas you filthy animals.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. SLING-N-SHOT

SLING-N-SHOT Veteran Member

My journey with slings also started with Jorge Sprave and his YouTube videos on them.

My passion for building them comes from my lifelong obsession and love for all things wood and working with it……my all time favorite medium to work with.

Many people on these forums have generously shared and taught me so much I couldn’t begin to name you all, but I thank each and every one that supports the forums by posting relative sling related info to further this hobby we all love so dearly.

Darrell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AdamvVS

AdamvVS Veteran Member

I remember looking at camping gear and bushcraft stuff on websites As well as gadgets and self defense weapons Then i started to watch videos and seen people on YT
      Remember watching all those oddly satisfying crotch shot videos of people tying rubber bands to a catapult Long before I knew there was a Forum I would later connect with them on the Forum
      I originally thought everyone on the forum was here Not realizing people came and went
      When I think of the people who were never posting anymore Yet there's a weird fanatical connection on watching and reading there posts Not realizing I was not just learning to make slingshots But getting a glimpse of people and there connections Its been inspiriting
      Metro Can and many more who have influenced the likes of others and on it went
      Wondering who inspired them and there beginnings
      I wasn't present during early times on the Forum but I also know its better today As it will be tomorrow
      Then there was the guys who don't go on this Forum There on the other one but have connections with lot of us But then wait that was BigDH that just liked my slingshot post Watching his channel and Romanys and so many more Helped me refine skills and answered questions
      The series Alone came out
      That guy popped in every once in awhile
      That Jamie guy is just planting the seeds of slingshot knowledge everywhere
      Even with Snoop D O double G
      Would snoop go tell Dre and Em that they should go buy slingshots and shoot them on there acreage
      You never know whos behind that avatar
      Some of the slingshot videos were people who had a desire of selling slingshots or did own slingshot companies
      I was going to own my own slingshot company one day Haha!
      Checking in to make a post or see whos about
      Making connections with some awesome people over time
      remembering all the clicks of people and sometimes watching feuds occur Were so silly and prideful at times Welcoming a new person or someone who hasnt posted in ages
      Who knows For now ill continue to seek out the people who are present and do my vocation on passing down the spirit of community and continue building some frames
      Its a great place this Forum

11. Clever Moniker

Clever Moniker Administrator Staff Member Admin

So you want to know how it all began eh? :D

Back then there were 3 main forums you could choose from. THE Slingshot Forum by Jorge, Slingshot Forum, and the Rebel Slingshot Forum. August West and I met on Slingshot Forum. There was also another private English forum (I can't remember the name) that August West was on, and that forum was also pro-hunting. I got invited to that forum, and that is where I was introduced to Toddy. It was the three of us, August West, Toddy, and myself who ended up starting this forum.

Back then Facebook groups weren't that big, so forums were the main place where others of like mind would connect with one another and learn new information. Jorge's forum was clearly anti-hunting (back then, I don't know about today), The Rebel Slingshot Forum was fairly small and I found it hard to navigate as a site. That pretty much left Slingshot Forum as the best choice for me and August West, while Toddy was on the English forum.

However, as time went on, I was starting to dislike the vibe at the slingshot forum. I had made many friends and there wasn't anything personal with anyone on the forum. But the focus of their forum was really on the vendors as that's how their site made money, and there were also a few people who I felt over moderated back then.

I didn't know what to do. Do I stay on the site and grow more discontent, move to the smaller forum, or pick the anti-hunting forum? Then I thought, maybe there was room for another forum that was unlike the others. So I messaged August West and Toddy, and they were on board too.

So yeah, that's how it all began. Toddy and August West are awesome people and I feel very fortunate to have met them. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

Welcome back and thank you for taking time to share a little history with us.

Speaking for myself, it’s the community of great people here that caused me to make this site my home. The designs by you and the other amazing early slingers have touched many. The R10 was my first build and have not slowed down since starting several years ago.

Thanks CM for posting and hope you can stay a little while.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 8
    13. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

Excellent post Adam! I miss chatting with you on your Instagram, and the contests we would inform each other about. I am pretty sure I sent you your first simpleshot torque, with some packs garbage pail kids (finally the packs are all gone.).
      My Journey that ended me up here on this forum began when I was a kid. In general I have been shooting slingshots since I was a kid around age 11 ( hard to remember age, but was in mid 80s). I started with a Marksman 3040, but then my friend bought a Marksman 3045(starship version) and I quickly ran to the local Dunham’s sporting shop and bought one. We were little terrors of the neighborhood. We were not very accurate, but loved raining projectiles down on a target. Seemed like we gravitated towards bodies of water to do our shooting. So many fun stories. But won’t side track to them.
      Fast forward to 2012/2013. I was on a deployment and on some of my down time I was surfing the web for gun related stuff, and I think a ad popped up for simpleshot. That caused me to surf for custom slingshots. I was injured in 2013 and retired in 2014. In 2014 I started making some custom SS and they sucked. So by 2015 I was gazing at ssc and ssf but don’t think I joined them until 2016 timeframe. There have been a lot of peeks and valleys in life, causing me to drift away and then return to this forum. Metros designs was a big influence for me. So many people, and different personalities. It’s hard to pick one person. Some fun, interesting,talented people here. Some members are very skilled in their building SS’s and are mastercraftsmen in this fun nitch sport. (I don’t won’t to name one person on builds because there are too many.). Some people are Awsome shooters that awe us all. ( @Dgui, @Kalevala, @Bone, @Mr Muz ) Then there are the great story tellers that can convey a hunt or shooting experience that makes you feel you are with them while the story unfolds(@Nico.). O and one Tart Sarky guy that always has humorous comments (comment if you know who that is.)

First two guys to help me were: @Lunasling and @AZ Stinger

People that helped me the most :
      @Mr Muz
      @KawKan
      @Devils son in law

Designs that influenced me when starting:
      @Metropolicity
      @wombat
      I gotta finish this post later….

15. cromag

cromag Member

The history of these forums is always interesting and this is certainly no exception. I had no interest in slingshots since my kid days with the wrist rockets that were too strong and inaccurate to enjoy much. Then I had a pm from northerner on an archery forum and after that exchange and the links he sent me , it has been an enjoyable year coming in contact with so many enjoyable characters.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Snydes

Snydes Member

When I was a kid, always wanted a wrist rocket, but my dad wouldn't get me one - he knew me too well. I placed a SMKW knife order & noticed a $6 wrist rocket in the catalog - bought it on a whim. Was amazed how powerful it was shooting nuts and bolts. Then I found the online discussion boards which opened up the world of slingshots - who knew this was even a thing - I've been around guys that shoot all my life & never heard anything about serious slingshotting. Came a long way in the past year - not a day goes by that I don't shoot in my basement "range" - I'm now focusing on the ISCOR target with steel backer - averaging around 175 (the old eye's are holding me back). I've built quite a few laminated slingshots as well, fine tuning the design to fit my style. I used to shoot competitive pistol & slingshots rekindled the competitive spirit - always trying to get better shooting paper. What started as something to pass the time during the winter of covid isolation, turned into a full blown obsession ...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    17. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator

I was here for all of this...man I feel old. LOL

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
    18. Ronan McLlyr

Ronan McLlyr New Member

I'm a real newbie to the sport I've only been shooting for about a month. I'm not exactly sure what sent me in this direction, it was probably a hunting video, but as soon as I found it I realized that this was a great opportunity for me to engage with my boys and teach them woodsmanship at the same time. My youngest and I practice every chance we get. He loves it.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1