Hi! | The Slingshot Community Forum

Hi!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by OldGuy, Jul 9, 2020.

1. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

Signed up today. New to shooting sling shots. Unless you count many years ago as a child. The diy tree fork and bike tire inner tube days of past summers. The fun carefree summers of youth. Fishing, swimming, hiking, baseball and the occasional slinging rock days. Slinging, but rarely hitting the target aimed for. Still it was a fun time. Retired early back on 1-1-2018. Combination of having a hard time dealing with our healthcare system evolving into health industry and wanting time off to enjoy life before I buy the 6ft deep farm or end up dust in the wind.

First sling shot (ss) was a French made poly clinch grip tube model. Small hands, hard edges made for poor fit and discomfort after a few rounds. Discovered Simple-Shot. Ordered the Axiom Ocularis. Real happy with this poly ss. Almost the "perfect" fit. Next ss was the Hammer with LT forks. Found out I prefer pinch vs. hammer grip. Going all in. Set up couple target stations outside. Thinking about the indoor target range for winter shooting. Unfinished basement, but small house. Will not be able to set up a 10 meter range. Just took delivery of bulk latex and jig. Thinner (6mm) vs stock (7mm) for shooting clay rounds. Maybe should have gone with 5mm? The 7mm has been fine for 3/8 steel. Bit overkill for the 9mm clay rounds. Being frugal (aka cheapo)the hope is 6mm with proper taper will work fine for both clay (~1gm mass) and the 3/8 steel (~3.5gm) ammo. I cut a set of bands using the full (6") width. Bit on the short side. Effective length mounted ended up at 555% elongated at my new release position. Initially release point was set at the same position as my bow release. New release is ~4" shorter. More accurate and higher precision. Probably never develop a proficient "butterfly" draw.

Into greenwood carving. Living on a heavily wooded 40. My source for raw materials. Wondering if maple or birch (both white and yellow) would be suitable for diy slingshot? Would like to make the "perfect" for my hand sling shot. Guessing bit of a curve and fatter butt end for the handle with the Axiom fork dimensions to start with on v1.0.
    New hobby. Lots to learn.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
  2. andypandy

andypandy Active Member

Welcome

3. Big Ron

Big Ron Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the community,glad you joined,to answer your question any hard wood tree is good for shooters plus anything that grows nuts or fruit ,plus others crepe myrtle,hazel,plus many many more it sounds like you have plenty of good supplies all around,all the best to you and yours i hope i helped with your question :)

4. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

Welcome!!!

5. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Admin

Welcome from ohio . Cant wait to see what you build . We like pictures and videos around here :D

6. oldguytoo

oldguytoo New Member

WELCOME... build some... be well

7. StringSlap

StringSlap Well-Known Member

Welcome!

8. Flipster

Flipster Member

Welcome from NM. Looks like your all set! I like the axiom ocularus. Versitile Pocketable, yet ergonomic.

9. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

Thanks for the warm greetings. Correction. My nomenclature is off. Pinch = brace grip.