Slingshot Building - G-10 Slingshot With Internal Pins Tutorial (Part 2) | The Slingshot Community Forum

Slingshot Building G-10 Slingshot With Internal Pins Tutorial (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by CanOpener, May 19, 2016.

By CanOpener on May 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM
  1. CanOpener

CanOpener Veteran Member

Here we are the glue has been cured over night. It is important the frame has been in a warm area to cure. Check your glue specs I like mine to be in the heated shop around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. I am ready to flush trim the excess from the outer layer. The trick here is I will now use the red inner core as my template.
    IMG_0257.JPG
    The outer layer is now all flushed up with the red center layer. Again I used a speed controller to slow down my router to approximately 8000 rpm. This generates less heat and you router bit will last much longer :) IMG_0260.JPG Now I set the drill press to drill 3/16" deep into the outer layer. This is why I kept the pin holes cleaned out as much as possible in the earlier glue up step. It is very easy to get back in these holes and drill to the final depth in the outer layer. IMG_0261.JPG Drilling is done :) IMG_0262.JPG I cut my pins longer than I needed them and ground them down to the final length of just a tad under 5/8" The grinder leaves a burr on the end of the pins and I leave it on as a purchase for the epoxy to grab. IMG_0263.JPG I do a dry test fit and it all goes together easily. Ready to glue it up :) IMG_0264.JPG I use G-Flex epoxy for the glue up. I cove one side entirely and put some glue in the holes with a smaller drill bit as a tool to work the epoxy down in the holes. I also work the epoxy into the holes on the outer layer and put some extra in the middle which will cause some squeeze out. IMG_0265.JPG I also cover the pins in epoxy IMG_0266.JPG Now into the spring clamps. The use of to much pressure with clamps can be a bad thing as it can squeeze out to much glue. With a nice fit the spring clamps are more than adequate. Be aware and do not use excess clamp pressure. :) IMG_0267.JPG Their she lays for another overnight cure. As I mentioned make sure the cure area is warm enough for the epoxy you are using. IMG_0268.JPG
    Now I am getting closer to the fun part. :) I always enjoy the final shaping the most :)

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 15
    • Genius Genius x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
Randy Knapp is a self-taught artist. Born and raised in the sun swept hills of eastern Oregon. His earlier career began in a glass shop where for ten years he worked to become a master glazier.

In his spare time he pursued his love for woodworking. Growing tired of the everyday grind and feeling very passionate about the possibilities of woodworking. He struck out on his own and started Knapp Studios in 1988.

Among his work he finds time to share his love of slingshots, and the creations he's become known for.

For more information on Knapp Studios, visit:
http://knappstudios.com/

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by CanOpener, May 19, 2016.

1. StixShooter

StixShooter Veteran Member

I love watching builds like this come together—Thanks so much for sharing! :tu:

I've promised myself I won't start any complex builds until I have my shop cleaned up and organized—That's my way of forcing myself to do something I don't like! Hopefully this weekend (long weekend!) that happens.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    2. Diaboloslinger

Diaboloslinger Veteran Member

Awesome How-To...Thanks for sharing your methods.

3. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

Great build pictures!

4. Chuck Daehler

Chuck Daehler Well-Known Member

Can Opener has been so kind to volunteer his time and resources to provide this build along. Definitely this is the way to do it to make a very durable, very functional, yet artistically gleaming slingshot. I'm sure many will harvest valuable tips from this series.

The internal pinning is something I've not seen before..invisible but just as strong as pins which "show". And there is no risk of misalignment showing nor risk of non centered pins showing either. For the cleanest of clean lines in the finished product, this method sure has my vote, and the laminations certainly can never delaminate with all those pins and epoxy holding it all together.

It's important to note that it is necessary for some epoxy resin to exude from the joints when clamped just as shown in the photos above...a principle applicable to all gluing operations, to assure 100% bonding.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. BarkyBow

BarkyBow Veteran Member

Just another example of how much help and guidance you provide to all of us.
      Thank you sir:)