Fork Width. | The Slingshot Community Forum

Fork Width.

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by The preacher, May 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM.

By The preacher on May 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM
  1. The preacher

The preacher Active Member

I've been experimenting with various fork widths. I usually stand around 50' from my target when I shoot.
    I've found that a fork width of 4" and where I anchor, I can hold the very tip edge of the top fork dead center of my target and it's right on.

Has anyone else noticed the difference between fork width in relationship to where you hold on your target?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by The preacher, May 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM.

1. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

Absolutely. This is all about the converging lines between your eye sight and ammo trajectory line of flight. There are a lot of detailed descriptions and information on the forums related to this. Short answer is the more narrow the frame, the higher above the target "view " point the ammo will hit. Widen the fork width until the tip edge of the fork line of sight converges with the ammo line of flight. And that is your optimal fork width. This is why forks come in different widths, and why people prefer different width sizes.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Bimbo

Bimbo Active Member

Exactly what @Palmettoflyer mentioned; the narrower the fork, the higher you will shoot, i narrowed all my forks down to 60mm wide PFS forks and 84mm axioms, champs, chalices and such, the only different thing in my form is that my reference point goes higher with my PFS frames, it goes up to the top.of my cheekbone, and on wider frames it is below my Cheeckbone. That way i am maintaining the same point of aim on every fork, and it works great for me.

Hope this helps!!

3. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

90mm width is the golden number for me with a gapper aim and cheek anchor.

4. Calculatedhit

Calculatedhit New Member

I was testing this the other day. I made a jumbo sized slingshot gap with plenty of fork to change the width of my tie on location. It looks silly but allowed me to find my optimal fork gap for direct hits to point of aim for my hunting setups by moving the tie on location to hit sighting off the corner of the band at my chosen distance of 20 yards. Eventually I will cut down the forks and carve it to turn this into something else but it was a worthwhile tool that perfectly fulfilled my need. For TTF shooters you could slowly carve down the tips and re tie the bands as the fork tips narrow until you find your preferred gap.

Attached Files:

5. The preacher

Man, that thing reminds me of a big Jack rabbit's head.
      [emoji846]

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Calculatedhit

Calculatedhit New Member

I used a r10 template blown up to 150% actual size and extended the fork tips.

7. Jim S.

Jim S. Veteran Member

I would hope Sling Shot Bill will chime in on this post. He did some extensive accuracy testing on sling shots and fork width and could have some interesting results to share.

8. The preacher

It surprised me how much just a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch in fork width changed things as far as sighting goes.