Fork strike!! (Rated R for graphic nature) | Page 2 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Fork strike!! (Rated R for graphic nature)

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by COSlinger, Nov 24, 2018.

By COSlinger on Nov 24, 2018 at 3:27 PM
  1. COSlinger

COSlinger New Member

Hi guys...so I got a pass from the wife to put off my honey do list....I just got my catch box built and finally began my foray into my new addiction...I began shooting BBs with my small bandset with some reasonable accurracy at 15, then 30 feet...my bandset broke so I grabbed the 2040 looped bandset that came with the Torque and my 1/2" steel and kept going, that's when everything went down hill...I had a finger strike, merely a flesh wound...then a fork strike, again, flesh wound....couple more shots, no incident...then, POW!! FORK STRIKE!!! :eek: and this is what I have left :banghead::mad::(....my poor brand new Torque...lasted 50 shots or so...What the hell did I do?!?!?! .....It's kind of OK though, the Torque didn't feel right in my small hand (glove size 7 1/2 or so) with a braced grip...back to the drawing board...Any suggestions on a better, more ergo choice for my small paws? 1543090806759-591309563.jpg

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by COSlinger, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Devils son in law

Devils son in law Veteran Member

I'd contact him, if he isn't already aware. Not for a replacement, but so he can learn from it and possibly address any future issues that could arise. The man makes and sells quality products and it's very seldom we see any issues with his frames,

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    2. COSlinger

COSlinger New Member

I sent a message and pic over to Nathan, we'll see what they wanna do, I'm not worried about it at all...Big Iron tipped me onto tripwire over on ebay and he seems to be more in tune with my needs and has a plethora of models to choose from...Also, I found a nice, big tree fork on the farm where I work...Cottonwood...it's still wet though so it'll need to dry slowly and hopefully doesn't split too bad. That's a 2 liter BTW, I cut it a bit big but should work, yeah? Funny, my wife just looked at this pic and said "you've been bitching to these guys about how small your hands are and you go and bring home that thing, SSSHHHEEESSSHH!!!" View attachment 121021

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Active Member Vendor

Thanks for contacting us @COSlinger! We certainly have got your back and we have replied to you outside this forum. It is really important for us to be able to get this slingshot back in house so we can assess any issues. Although we have only seen a .03% failure rate for the Torque during the life of the product, most have been from straight up abuse, rather than intended use.
      Christmas has come early for @The Big Iron...enjoy my friend!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
    4. COSlinger

COSlinger New Member

Cool! Thank you for the reply! We'll stay in touch.

5. thehappyhippy

thehappyhippy Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member Admin

Customer care at it's it's right there :bw:

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

If you put candle wax on the ends it should help it not split.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. COSlinger

COSlinger New Member

Candle wax is probably what I'll do...I've done that with bow staves but did not nuke 'em obviouosly

8. ForkshooterTB

ForkshooterTB Well-Known Member

Like others have said contact Nathan. I've always got a good response to any question. Fast service and delivery.

9. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

I gotta laugh. It sucks to break a fork off but most all of us have done it and half inch steel has no mercy. Lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. The Big Iron

The Big Iron Member

COSlinger; send me your address and I will send you a frame cut out of 1/4" flat steel. Not a steel ball made that can break The Big Iron.

• Creative Creative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. COSlinger

COSlinger New Member

Big Iron, I didn't know you could make a shooter out of a boat anchor! :p

PM sent

• Funny Funny x 2
    12. The Big Iron

The Big Iron Member

Correction; The Big Iron is not made from a boat anchor but it could be used as one.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Jim S.

Jim S. Veteran Member

Put your catch box in front of your wife's car, that will make you real careful ! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    14. adser

adser Active Member

How about a Bio Shot? It doesn't matter how small your hands are, or how many fork hits you have. Tiny lady hands have found it perfectly comfortable, and I have not had a single reported breakage, nor have I been able to smash the test material, no matter what I did to it. More expensive that a Torque, but you tend to get what you pay for.
      Each is individually made with care, and the spare material is tested to make sure it will stand up to the claims. Check out my older post, showing the frame in detail, as well as testing the material for toughness. Spoiler: I was unable to do any damage to it, other than some scratches.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
      • Genius Genius x 1
    15. Billy Fugett

Billy Fugett Well-Known Member

I would suggest you get yourself a Scout and set it up in OTT (Over The Top) mode. Use it that way until you are not getting any fork hits at all which should be immediately. If you find you can get good accuracy in OTT mode there is no reason to change to TTF. To date I have yet to have a fork hit with either a Scout or Axiom Ocularis in either mode. Torque? I fork whacked my Torque a few times early on. I didn't break it but in my opinion the Torque is a lot easier fork hit than either a Scout or Axiom.
      If you spend a bit more for a Scout you will be glad you did in the long run. The design is fun from day one and most likely it will be one of your top two or three slingshots no matter how many you collect or how long you shoot. I can say about the same for an Axiom Ocularis as it's still one of my all time favorites. For a new shooter I would pick a Scout as a first slingshot between the two but I would follow that up with an Axiom Ocularis as soon as you can.
      The Torque has it's place but I don't think the best choice to start off with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. COSlinger

COSlinger New Member

Hi everyone! So Nathan was cool enough to give me store credit for the broken Torque....I was looking for a smaller slingshot...when the masses say Simple Shot....Simple Shot it is... I just ordered an Axiom Ocularis Champ Yellow Jacket...that's a mouth full...anyway, the way I made my decision was by reading the reviews and when half the guys said it was too small, I said it sounds perfect. When I get it I'll start a thread for us hobbit handed folk...we are few but we are here!

17. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

Thank you Nathan

18. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

Has no-one given credence to the fact that shit happens? Forks don't shoot bad: Shooters shoot bad. If you shoot yourself multiple times and persist? You are doing it Wrong! User Error is not a cause for the vendor to take responsibility. If you are jacking up and keep shooting; how can you blame the frame for failing and expect the vendor to be at fault?
      Dude! As far as I can see,This is on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. adser

adser Active Member

There are slingshots out there that will take fork hits all day. A beginner should be able to have the confidence to make mistakes. The fork hit might be his fault, but it shouldn't be a cause of danger. People always speak well of Nathan's slingshots. They're supposed to be tough and safe... This one seems to be an exception...
      I test the left over material of every slingshot I make. If there are any problems with it, I will know before I send it out. Mass produced products don't allow for individual testing. At least their price is reasonable.

20. COSlinger

COSlinger New Member

All true...It's understandable to have a .03% documented failure rate with anything mass produce...look at production cars, once in a while there's a piece of shit...There are probably 1000s of Torques out there performing outstandingly. I have made a few other commitments elsewhere but I will continue to give Nathan my business for years to come.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2