Flat Band Question | The Slingshot Community Forum

Flat Band Question

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Ugly Old Guy, Jul 6, 2020.

By Ugly Old Guy on Jul 6, 2020 at 11:41 PM
  1. Ugly Old Guy

Ugly Old Guy New Member

How much does the thickness of flat bands affect performance (draw weight, velocity, etc.)?

Using say a 1/2 inch glass marble will there be a noticeable difference in performance between .8mm and 1.2mm flat bands of the same length and taper (if any)?

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Ugly Old Guy, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Peter Recuas

Peter Recuas Veteran Member

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    2. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

To synopsize the above link. A-hem! "Yup!"
      Same ammo and same cut. You will get more V with the heavier bands but the trade off is handslap. With the thinner you will get less V with less power but reduced slap. But at a longer length with the thinner band you will get more V with even less slap.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Ugly Old Guy

Ugly Old Guy New Member

(In my best "Mr. Spock" voice)
      "Most illogical, Captain ..."

I'm deformed. My draw is likely no more than 20 to 22 inches, depending on my anchor. (using a compound bow, my draw is 23 inches, using my earlobe as the anchor point.)
      No way I'm going with standard length or longer bands. I'd have no forward velocity or range at all, at all, if I did.

As for handslap ... Archer Gloves (or greeves) with integral arm guards should prevent that pain. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

Well, if you are drawing 22 inches to your earlobe, you can probably draw 40 inches butterfly. That's a big difference.
      It is not archery.
      Just as a round ball is not an arrow.
      Decide.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Veteran Member

just to empathize the difference between bows and slingshots, heavier pull with short draw usually yields lower velocity and big slaps, rubber is most efficient with long draws

6. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

@Arturo Borquez would know he has a real long flat bands right now hope you’re feeling better lol :)
      I find the more I get into butterfly the better slingshoting fun
      Yeah you can get a set anchor point same ammo same everything gallery shit good but butterfly allows you to hunt at different power levels I am anywhere from semi butterfly to butterfly depending on the slang just because the bands perform so much better and longer
      That’s just my newbie revelation :)
      And long thin bands will surprise the you know what out of you with right ammo

7. Ugly Old Guy

Ugly Old Guy New Member

Unfortunately, because of a hereditary bone/joint disorder (MHE; Multiple Hereditary Extosies), I am unable to draw behind my ear like Jorge over on "The Slingshot Channel" on you tube, and the folks in a lot of photos I see. Just as it is impossible for me to turn my left palm up. The motion in my left wrist is limited to 10 degrees past neutral.

I am aware of the differences in archery (to include compound bow, long bow, recurve bow, and crossbow), slingshots, blowguns, slings, spears, and other "obsolete" (note quotes) "weapons" (note quotes), as well as the differences between a muzzleloading long gun and a cartridge arm, and the difference between a revolver and a pistol. (a revolver and pistol are not the same thing, just as slingshots and archery are not the same thing, nor is a slingshot/catapult that uses elastic bands the same as a shepherd's sling.)

I even know that a tomato is a fruit (that has no place in a fruit salad), not a vegetable. :)

8. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

I urge you not to rule out using a butterfly draw without full consideration.
      I am blessed with nearly full use of my hands when arthritis isn't acting up. But I find it painful to take much strain on my wrist if bent as many shooters do. So I adapted my grip for a more neutral hold.
      SSbutterflyDraw.png
      I tried my hand at using Alvaro's grip, but haven't master the release yet.
      SSAlvaroButterfly.png
      Of course, extended fork slingshots - or starships - are another way to add inches to your draw length. I find them a tad unwieldy and impossible to fit in my pocket. But they may be your cup of tea.
      I am pretty sure that drawing a 4-1/2 inch band to 22 inches is going to require a combination of thickness and width that would be no fun for me to shoot.
      But this is Slingshot World, and you are the king in your corner of it!
      Drive on!

9. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

In a sense though; all of the mentioned are the same in the function they perform. A tool that the mind and body use to propel a load from A-B presumably for your benefit. The principle of an SS is (Ahem) elastic enough to allow something that will fill the function.
      ... and NO fruit need be on a pizza.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020