Finger conditioning/finger protection | The Slingshot Community Forum

Finger conditioning/finger protection

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by Aidan M., May 2, 2021 at 12:04 PM.

1. Aidan M.

Aidan M. New Member

So, question.

After shooting yesterday my fingers are quite tender. I had difficulties with slick fingers and think I may be gripping the pouch too hard due to that. How long does it take to build up a tolerance to shooting? And also are there options for finger protection for slingshots? Thanks. Recommendations on dealing w/ slick fingers would be good too.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  2. Bone

Bone Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator Admin

I have used rubber glove fingertips. Usually just cutting off a couple fingers for my thumb and first finger. If they are tight and thin they work awesome. In fact I've used them when it's hot and humid because I didn't want my pouch picking up sweat off my hands and sticking. It really helped.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

I know what you mean, nobody likes a sticky pouch :p:p:rotfl::D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  4. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

I think I can relate to that finger (thumb) pain/tenderness. I associate it with gripping BBs with a thin pouch. You might try switching over to a thicker pouch. The ubiquitous small microfiber pouches that come with virtually every bandset assembled in China work very well with BBs and help extend my shooting sessions considerably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bone

You got a picture of those pouches?

6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

Now this is a serious issue. Like @KawKan i find the China microfiber pouches real soft. I do have two of super shots pouches that must be goat leather or lamb leather, because it is the softest leather I have ever felt.

7. Aidan M.

Aidan M. New Member

@Bone the rubber glove thing absolutely works a treat for defeating slippage. I haven't shot with them yet, but still. I think my issue was, due to the slippage, I was bending my thumb inwards towards my forefinger and shooting off the top of my thumb close to my nail rather than the actual padded part (aka very very bad form.) In the future, when I make my own bands, I will put the rough side out on my to aid in grip so I can go gloveless. Now that I'm not dealing with slippage, I can develop proper form and release. And thank you again @KawKan for the offer of the pouches.

8. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

Aidan, I think you will like rough side out for more reasons as well. A lot of people realize that in climate areas where humidity is high, sweaty fingers and smooth shiny pouches are very sticky. This makes a clean release nearly impossible. Putting the rough side out will remove any sticky finger issues and actually improve the consistency of your release.

9. Aidan M.

Aidan M. New Member

Ok yes, missouri is quite humid. I'm also discovering that I'm probably "over rubbered" at the moment and lack the grip strength to maintain good form. I will move down to #32 rubber bands and see if I have better luck with those.

10. Aidan M.

Aidan M. New Member

Also, my rubber ended up breaking early, most likely due to draw length change after a change in anchor point. So I will use the same pouch with #32 rubber bands rough side out and see how it goes.

11. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

[​IMG]
    Microfiber on the bottom. My handcut laminated leather on top. SuperSure for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteveJ

SteveJ New Member

Does anyone know where you can buy a few 50. or so of # 5 , I measured the ones I like and they are 45x12

13. Bone

Thanks

14. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

I got the blue ones off e-bay - 20 for $2 or $3 as I recall. It was certainly the cheapest I could find that day.
    The red ones are from Slingshooting.com. I think they were freebies with an order, but they are more than worth the quarter or thirty cents list price. Especially tacked on to the main order of latex and/or slingshots.
    It will take about month to arrive. I figure I'll still be shooting then.

15. Bone

Thanks!

16. SteveJ

SteveJ New Member

Possibly a great BB pouch. I took one of those magnetic rings ,and used the "leather"part cut it shorter , punched a band hole and a very small centering hole. I shot it a bit ,but it was late, didnt shoot much , I may be a tiny bit too long,But it Seems to hold well but release well too. found 10 rings for 6 bucks on amazon, may order then,, I can always use the magnets , just a idea

Attached Files:

• Genius Genius x 1
  17. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Personal preference for a smooth Kangaroo leather. Shooting 3/8" & using the laminated models from Warrior. Haven't experienced any finger discomfort or pain. Maybe due to the combination of pouch design and ammo size? Have developed a harder layer of skin on the thumb and finger surface. Important to maintain a supple vs. cracked skin surface. For wave windsurfing (hands get a workout) soaking the hands in vinger as soon as off the water. Kept the callouses supple and whole. Supposedly Nolan Ryan use to soak his throwing hand in pickle juice to maintain supple skin and good feel. For slingshot shooting I just use a either Badger Balm or Burt's Bees.