Experiment: Can the tapered band really get higher speed than the straight band?? | The Slingshot Community Forum

Experiment: Can the tapered band really get higher speed than the straight band??

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Snipersling Slingshots, Nov 19, 2020.

By Snipersling Slingshots on Nov 19, 2020 at 5:11 AM
  1. Snipersling Slingshots

Snipersling Slingshots Member Vendor

Made this video to show the differences between straight bands and tapered bands, hope it would help you guys understand it better.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 9

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Snipersling Slingshots, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Konrad

Konrad New Member

Very interesting, not to over shadow your efforts thankyou for posting. My slingshot rifle with 1mm guru does 109m/s at a 135mm active 675mm draw 47 to 19mm tapper, 8mm steel. Nearly everyone say's use less rubber but I have and don't get the same speed, I get less? Can you give me any clues as to why this is happening. The Chinese are way ahead.

I have seen you thru catapult carnage's work, keep up the good work.

Salutations Konrad.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
      • Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    2. Bugar

Bugar Member

Good video, thanks

3. KawKan

KawKan Veteran Member

Great demonstration of the effect of band tapering.
      I was glad you included the resistance measurements. I was a surprised the 20-10 bands had more tensile strength than the 15-15 set. That is good information!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Snipersling Slingshots

Hi Konrad, thanks for your comment, I never tried a 47-19 tapered band sets, it's huge and I don't have a fork that can set it on lol, but I do can send an 8mm bearing to over 110m/s with a 0.5mm thickness 20-12 tapered band(active length 190mm), you might like to have a look:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Snipersling Slingshots

That's where you get extra speed from :) power couldn't come from nowhere :)

6. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

Thanks for the video. Would be interested in at what point the taper differential results in the maximum velocity for a given thickness of band and shot mass. The band cam locking system is real cool.