Does anyone use sights? | Page 2 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Does anyone use sights?

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by Gingdude, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Mr Muz

Mr Muz Veteran Member

The only sight I use is the Larren shot, anyone remember that sight method. I wish I had paid into his crowd funding site because it would have paid back and then some.

@Emitto that slingshot looks awesome and sps with looped tubes are ttf anyway.

My 2p worth to the question, if they work for you then so be it, like everything in the slingshot game there is no correct answer that's what makes it so much fun.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Genius Genius x 2
  2. Emitto

Emitto Veteran Member

The Larren sight! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. LeatheryPouch215

LeatheryPouch215 Member

I’ve tried em on few different frames and found they just made things more complicated. Now I will preface that when I tried them I was a worse shot than I am now and had much less understanding of how subtle body mechanics were affecting my shots. Maybe more experienced shooters find them beneficial but couldn’t agree more with Maegpie. If you’re starting out they probably won’t improve your accuracy and in my case, hurt it.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  4. William Dawson

William Dawson Active Member

Have a Marauder Pistol/Prod as well is a great airgun. And a Discovery too but definitely wanna use sights on them

5. Slimster

Slimster New Member

I use them and proved they work. I'm also British champion bow shot. If you get your hand and your anchor point the same everytime you will be more consistent. Been shooting slingshots for 57 years, when they were called catapults. But you must get your style correct every time.

6. richnewm

richnewm Veteran Member

Its a big no from me but each to their own , i wouldnt say they would improve everyones shooting and make it more consistent , just my opinion

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

No. Several thousand round and have yet to experience a fork hit. Fear of hitting a sight and having fragments of the sight flying into oblivion or my flesh. Plus I like the simple aspect of just "aiming" down the band. Nothing to adjust but fork hand elevation. No need to mechanically zero in a sight. Rather focus on a consistent anchor and smooth release for precise misses:). A real bad day is missing the bulls eye and lack of consistency in the misses. Shoot the recurve bow without any sighting aids. Not against sights. Using a reflex sight on the pistol xBow. Laser sight for night shooting.

8. Slingshot Fever

Slingshot Fever New Member

Sights work great!...but for them to work well you MUST HAVE a proper hold on the frame and the pouch. Then you have to do it exactly the same. Its a great way to super refine and tweek your hold. The main thing is consistency. I perfer a wider gap and a dimple though since sights have a tendency to get hung up in the pocket. Target though sights can be a game changer! If you understand how it works and how to tweek whats wrong with whatever to make the sight work it will help. Example if your hitting right or left of the sight...thats a shooter issue. It can be how the frame is being held (not squarely) , pouch release, bands drawn at a slight angle (typically too much or too little wrist tension), or a couple other things but the first 3 are most likely. However, if you do it all properly its spot on. I had to retrain myself on my hold due to sight not lining up. That's why most sites don't adjust right or left...they assume you have the proper form or will learn it since the sight is off to one side.

9. Can Vandal

Can Vandal New Member

I just tried this product out. I really like it.

10. MolecularConcept

MolecularConcept New Member

I have a few site rite cards coming. I also plan to make some kind of reference points on a clip for my current slings. Sites done right like those on Emmittos example (what is that btw?) Can def help. I use the bands and reference points tho

11. Snydes

Snydes Member

In the frames I build - I like to use a bright orange piece of G10 inletted in the top aiming corner - helps me alot - especially on cans in my catch box

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• zz6.jpg
      zz6.jpg
      File size:
      385.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Alex v

Alex v Well-Known Member

Man those are stunning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Snydes

Snydes Member

Thanks Alex !

14. SLING-N-SHOT

SLING-N-SHOT Veteran Member

WOW Snydes, those are both nice but brother, that 2nd one is absolutely STUNNING.

What kind of wood is that lighter colored wood ?

15. Snydes

Snydes Member

Hey Darrell - that 2nd one uses a bunch of exotic woods - outside is zebrawood ... padauk & purpleheart liners and a cocobolo palm swell. I'm having fun trying all these exotic woods - nice thing is for slingshot building, you don't need much wood. :tu:

16. SLING-N-SHOT

SLING-N-SHOT Veteran Member

Cool stuff, tks for replying my friend

If you ever get tired of that one, I’m definitely up for a trade

17. High desert flipp

High desert flipp New Member

I mostly shoot without a sight. For archery I went from compound to recurve with a sight to self bows with no sight and I like the simplicity as well as the challenge.

For slingshots I try a sight every now and then and find it doesn't help much beyond what getting familiar with a frame and developing some muscle memory can do. And for me, multiple pins for different distances are useful but the distraction outweighs the benefit- for me anyways.

All that said, I have been playing with finding the optimal fork width for fixed anchor points. And for this I have been adding a single FO to the top corner of the frame. On the one hand it is a "sight", but I find I use it more of an aid to catch my attention than an actual sight that I line up on the target- sort of like the bead on a shotgun barrel. And while I have just started playing around with this recently, I think I like it. Will see if I am still sticking with it in a month or two.

And for floating anchors, as mentioned above, I find it to have less benefit and more of a distraction than a help so am not putting FO on frames I use for butterfly.

Here is one set of test frames I made to try out different fork widths (3.5" to 4" in 1/8" steps) with my above the earl lobe anchor. With these I found that a 3 5/8" fork width is about dead on for elevation at 15 yds, and is still very close at 10 and 20 yds, even with modest bands that send 3/8" steel out around 225 fps (trajectory still rising at 10 yds, and with this angle of launch the drop isn't too bad between 15 and 20 yds).

upload_2021-8-24_7-55-42.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  18. Slingshot Fever

19. Slingshot Fever

This one talks about how the sights work.