Cold weather | The Slingshot Community Forum

Cold weather

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by GrenWill, Jan 31, 2019.

By GrenWill on Jan 31, 2019 at 10:15 AM
  1. GrenWill

GrenWill New Member

I’m new to the sport, and to the community, so I have been slowly working my way through the pages trying to understand all the aspects of slingshot shooting. I noticed all the posts (mostly from the Canadian members) about cold weather bands.

I grew up in Maine (so am familiar with the cold) but currently live in Virginia so never really thought it would effect me. The current polar vortex has really shown me the variation frigid temps have of elasticity. I step outside for a few shots, and nail the first couple. Then I start to be a little off, so I try to correct. By the time I correct slightly, I am slightly off a little more, and so on. It really is frustrating.

I just hope this weather ends soon. I don’t want to invest in a whole new set of bands that will be unnecessary by the time they get here.

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by GrenWill, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Bruce

Bruce Guest

It's easy for me in Winnipeg ..I don't shoot from November through February. :mad:

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    2. oldmiser

oldmiser Veteran Member

During the winter months November till April I shoot indoors..mainly bb's...
      so I still have the eye & hand cordnation in focus....lighter band set for the bb's...
      so I still keep shootin...akaOldmiser

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    3. Cap'n Joe

Cap'n Joe Guest

It doesn't get too cold here in Florida, but when it does I find that keeping my shooter in a warm inside pocket cures those fliers. Two shots max, then put it away to warm back up to body temp.

Rubber trees grow in the tropics. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. GrenWill

GrenWill New Member

Thanks Cap’n. To completely change the subject, I saw a YouTube video about a pfs with bands integrated into the body of the slingshot. The builder said that it was somebody else’s design and that person should be contacted about purchase. Was he talking about you, and if so, are they being produced?

5. Cap'n Joe

Cap'n Joe Guest

We'll see. It's an ongoing project. If at all possible Dan Hood might have a few made.
      It was a collaborative brainchild. Dgui, Dan, and mice elf. It's just a prototype so far.

6. Y-onathan

Y-onathan New Member

Hi all, I live in Switzerland and weather is getting cold around this time of the year. Therefore I'd like to pic up this topic again. What rubber would be more likely to be used with temperatur dropping? Would it rather be lighter bands, than heavier bands? Any specific bands that are recommended?

7. Clint

Clint Veteran Member

The pink cold weather band works very very well in upper Idaho panhandle 0-20 last year I had one band set last three months
      Very good stuff I am ordering one of pink one of orange .60 .70
      They even work pretty good on quarter inch and BBs real thin cuts real good for cold weather just thought I’d let you know
      P.s. the pink is my go-to hunting band all year long . Ss .50-.60 is good stuff but consistency and power and longevity the pink is the way to go

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    8. Y-onathan

Y-onathan New Member

Thanks Clint, your recommendation is highly appreciated! I'll try to get some of those pink and orange bands over here in Switzerland.:tu: