Checking in from Ontario Canada | The Slingshot Community Forum

Checking in from Ontario Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Peter Ball, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Peter Ball

Peter Ball New Member

Glad I found this group. I’m totally new to slingshots (like I don’t have one yet) which is the reason I joined the group. I’m looking forward to learning since my back yard is over-run by rabbits.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
  2. Mi'kmaq Warrior

Mi'kmaq Warrior Veteran Member

Hey man, welcome from Nova Scotia. You'll learn lots here!

Just practice a lot before dispatching the bunnies because even pests deserve a quick death. I hunt using headshots only. It's the only humane way to hunt with a slingshot as they were designed to dispatch using blunt force...like being hit with a baseball bat.
    It takes quite a bit of practice to get that level of consistency so if you are in a hurry to get rid of the rabbits, it would probably be better to use an air rifle...just until you get dialed in with your first slingshot.

The trick to getting accurate and consistent with a slingshot is form, pouch release, and repetition...and the smaller the target the better...aim small, miss small.
    Start off knocking down cans, just to get an understanding of how everything works (also fun) and then move down to a head size target. I use plastic practice golf balls from walmart for hunting warmup...they are cheap and are just the right size. I actually practice on a 30mm spinner and even go down to as small as 12mm to hone in on precision.

You should also avoid the big box wire frame "wrist rocket" style Slingshots like the ones at Canadian Tire or Walmart. Get a basic flat band shooter...

I suggest making your own natural fork slingshot...it is fun, and creates an intimate connection between the maker and the slingshot...it might sound strange, but it's true...I'm most accurate with the slingshots I make for myself.

That was my 2 cents worth...I'm probably forgetting something...lol...there are lots of people here to help you get started...ask a lot of questions...you'll get lots of answers...(this is how much you get just for introducing yourself...lol)

Have fun!

Len (MW)

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

Yup MW is dead on.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

...and now back to your slingshot. Since you don't have one yet, they are so easy to make from a natural fork. The wire ones @BigBx are decent frame with crap rubber and sux pouches. A medium "LATEX" exercise band and some purse/coat/etc leather will get you up and running. You can make good bands with office rubber bands too. You will find vendors on the forums that have good quality pocket friendly shooters.Size and price.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Covert5

Covert5 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Remember to have fun!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SLING-N-SHOT

SLING-N-SHOT Well-Known Member

Welcome, you’re in for a wonderful journey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Peter Ball

Peter Ball New Member

Thanks MW. Good advice!

8. Flipster

Flipster Member

Welcome! I agree a natural frame is probably the best way to get started. However, if you dont wanna to do that, the cheapo Daisy's from Walmart are good too. Just cut off the crappy tubes they come with and tie on some cut up exercise band strips . Have fun!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  9. StringSlap

StringSlap Well-Known Member

Welcome!

10. SLING-N-SHOT

SLING-N-SHOT Well-Known Member

@Peter Ball......Peter, was gonna mention if you aren’t into building your own from a natural fork ( so rewarding and fun though) I’d suggest checking out the Scout LT from www.simple-shot.com

It’s a great sling with clip band attachment, and it’ll shoot both the TTF(through the fork) or OTT(over the top) configurations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Samurai Samoht

Samurai Samoht Well-Known Member

Welcome from BC!

12. Peter Ball

Peter Ball New Member

That's the slingshot that I've been considering. Thanks for the recommendation!