Catchbox bouncing back shots | The Slingshot Community Forum

Catchbox bouncing back shots

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by The Snail, Jun 24, 2021.

1. The Snail

The Snail New Member

So I've made a few catchboxes thus far... Some work better than others.

I can't figure out why I'm getting ammo bounce back in some setups. I keep plenty of cloth loosely hanging, in two layers - a lighter first layer and a heavier towel at the back (plus a hard backstop).

I'm shooting 6mm steel with a very light setup, so very low energy. The shots are bouncing back without hitting the backstop. I understand that it might be inevitable that some shots will bounce back and out of the catchbox - is there a way to minimize this? Is my cloth too heavy?

Thanks for the input!

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  2. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

Is the first layer flat or does it have a lot of pleats? The flatter the hanging material, the more likely it will bounce directly backward.

Sir Isaac Newton is on record as being the first ever slingshot shootist. Must have been as he stated law #3, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Flat backstop, will bounce directly in reverse. Hanging pleats or folds in the material will change the bounce direction and capture the shot. (Which by the way is Newton Law #1)

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Snail

The Snail New Member

Newton would have definitely be fascinated with slingshots!

I understand the logic with having pleats and folds. I doubled the width of cloth hanging, to get more material in folds - still get bounce backs! Actually the most problematic catchbox for me has the most material hanging and the most folds and pleats.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  4. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

Only other suggestion is to use even lighter weight material. The cloth has to absorb the energy without it reversing the direction.

Another idea is the funnel design that Bone showed a few months back. A long tube like cloth catchbox that absorbed the energy plus a long path to the back end.

Maybe a picture of said problem backstop would help with advice.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
  5. SLING-N-SHOT

SLING-N-SHOT Veteran Member

Another suggestion is to make sure your material is NOT touching the floor of the catchbox…..you want it to be able to freely swing inward, which helps it absorb the energy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bimbo

Bimbo Active Member

i get bounce back depending on the target i'm shooting... heavier and harder targets allways bounce out my ammo

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. cromag

cromag Member

My spinners are made from HDPE pieces from barrels or the light sockets from outdoor lighting fixtures which reflect a lot of ammo , even the 7/16. We never have aluminum cans here so I end up shooting tin cans from food and dog food which reflects a lot of ammo as well. As Bimbo implied , I suspect some or most of those rebounds may be off your targets versus off the cushion material in back.

8. Flipgun

Flipgun Veteran Member

Yeah, That. :tu:

9. Hamid

Hamid New Member

The more lighter the ammo the more likely it will bounce back.
    I shoot 4mm BBs, hitting the target, even a hanging bottle cap the ammo will most likely bounce back.
    If hitting the fabric material in the catch box chances of bouncing back is also high.
    Making some vertical cuts from top to bottom in the thin first layer fabric helps a lot.

10. The Snail

The Snail New Member

I appreciate the suggestions! I've already teared some of the fabric in vertical strips. Will check if the issue is fixed.

11. gizmoto

gizmoto New Member

I've made several catch boxes and they all seem to create some bounce back too.
    Try allowing fold & drape (convoluted), but anchoring the bottom towards the back so the fabric leans downwards while still allowing room to billow. If you hit your target, I should suspect most catchbox designs don't apply anymore though (bounce back will depend on your target). I think lightweight spinners should be the best at keeping ammo after being struck. Cans certainly guarantee bounce back due to all the dent angles and resistance on how close it's struck to it's anchoring point.

Another suggestion I saw from Bill Hayes was to use old tshirts and let them hang. The random folding seems a good idea to try and trap ammo.

12. The Snail

The Snail New Member

I've been trying different materials for hanging and seem to be getting better results. Trying a cloth cone catcher (like Bone posted) next. Thanks again for the tips.