Bsb white skull | The Slingshot Community Forum

Bsb white skull

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Nigel, Jan 20, 2021.

By Nigel on Jan 20, 2021 at 8:35 AM
  1. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I'm on my second lot of bsb white skull band, though this Bach is terrible. Snapping all over the taper.. 19-15-175mm
    Anyone else had issues.

Getting less than 20 shots on some sets.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Talk' started by Nigel, Jan 20, 2021.

1. StringSlap

StringSlap Veteran Member

Are you cutting your own bands? If yes, make sure your rotary blade isn't damaged or not sharp enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Brand new rollers. Clean cuts.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
    3. Palmettoflyer

Palmettoflyer Veteran Member

What thickness are you shooting? I'm on my 3rd roll of 0.5mm. Shooting both 5.5 inch and 10 inch active length on a 20-15 taper.

I'm on my 3rd roll because all my slingshots are being converted to these bands.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. StringSlap

It's that good, Monroe? I've heard nothing but good about BSB and was about to pull the trigger on a roll of .65.

5. Palmettoflyer

I started with the 0.5 and quickly fell in love with the "soft stretch" feel. Reminds me a lot of natural latex or TBG. Wondering how the 0.6 felt, I bought a roll of it too. Did a side by side comparison on two exact frames and really liked the feel of 0.5 better.

With the 0.5, I learned that I had to shorten up the active length to get the benefit of the extra stretchy. My AL aim and anchor with any 0.7 is 7 inches. For 0.6, I would use 6.25 inches. But with the 0.5, I use 5.5 inches. Pull weight is quite comfortable and I have not yet broke a band. Every 0.5 band I have made is still in service. Of course, I'm shooting a lot of different slings, so shot count might not be real high.

On my PFS, I went from 12" AL to 10" with the 0.5. I hope to do some chrony tests tomorrow for Arturo.

For what it's worth, I just bought a roll of BSB 0.45 but have not made any bands yet. But I am sold on going thinner for more speed and easier pull weight.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
    6. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I've just gone up to 0.6 from 0.55 my theory was just to help taper at pouch, previous roll was brilliant to be fair.
      My taper is as put, 19-15-175mm.. Ammo is 7mm steels. I shoot around 10-15 meters.

Thinking I might go to another brand.

7. Palmettoflyer

Nigel, it is hard to say for sure without knowing more about your setup, but a 19-15 taper is a bit stout for 7mm ammo. Perhaps trying a band made to 16-12 or 15-10. The 19-15 on light ammo may be self destructing. Or, just shoot some 3/8 or 7/16 ammo and see how that performs.

8. StringSlap

Just a thought, but .6 is a bit heavy for 7mm ammo. That could shorten band life. I shoot .6 with a 20-15mm taper, 6" active, and use 7/16 and 5/8 marbles. I bet .45 would send 7mm pretty fast.

9. StringSlap

You beat me to it!!

10. Nigel

Nigel New Member

OK thanks for feedback, I will try a narrower taper..
      Would a. 45 at same distance as what I shoot punch through food tins same as...
      Thanks.

11. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I'd like to keep my template I had made so, perhaps I will reverse and go to a thinner band..

12. StringSlap

Well, I think you need to decide whether you want to hit your targets, or punch through them. The .45 is better suited to light ammo like 7mm. But 7mm isn't ideal for power and "punch through" ability. Why not try your .6 with 3/8 straight bands? Probably send 7mm fast and bands should last a lot longer. If you need to punch through, keep your .6 and tapers and move up to at least 9.5mm steel.

13. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Thank you for advice. I will try that now, I will cut some straight bands and have a play.

14. Palmettoflyer

In short, you have 3 variables. Band thickness, band width, and band length. You need to modify any of those to match the weight of your ammo. Everything mentioned above is a variation on these 3 variables to get your over powered band down to 7mm ammo, or just switch to heavier ammo.

Any thickness band will work, just have to match it to the band width and length to keep the energy level at the right amount.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Yep I will try some different band cuts, as I've already got thousands of 7mm steels I keep at it till its right. Really do appreciate all the help thank you.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
    16. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I'm converted to straight cut, using a shorter active and narrower band seems to produce plenty of power. It's punching through much the same, so happy enough it's not girly power. Still going to try a narrower band set. But 14mm straight seems good so far.. 200 shots and still going.. Thanks again.

17. Bimbo

Bimbo Active Member

Just my experience with these bands.
      I bought a roll of .6 BSB, i found it much harder to pull than the precise .60 band, so i cut it a bit narrower.
      My taper for shooting 3/8 steel is 17 to 13mm, can punch through a jalapeƱo can...
      and for smaller ammo, i tried 1cm stright cut for 1/4 inch ammo and it shoots awesome... does not punch through the can but that's because of the light weight ammo..
      Hope this helps!

By the way, both tapers are cut to 34 cms long, as i shoot full butterfly

18. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Thank you. I'm still experimenting with different bands. I appreciate your help.

19. slingdude

slingdude New Member

I have some 0.5 BSB white and it's great stuff. You must have gotten a bad roll, that just happens sometimes. I had a set on an axiom champ that I thought would never break, i dont count shots but I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the 600 - 800 shot range shooting BBs, clay, and .25 steel -- probably the longest lived single flatband set I think I've ever tied.