Sticky - Beginners Slingshot Recommendations? | Page 5 | The Slingshot Community Forum

Sticky Beginners Slingshot Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beginner Question Forum' started by Clever Moniker, Jan 3, 2016.

1. AdamvVS

AdamvVS Veteran Member

My thoughts are a natural wide tree fork is best for a beginner and then the scout is definitely an all around family friendly slingshot for sure although I do not own one yet but from reviews and videos of lean toward it for mine and any of my family members

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Billy Fugett

Billy Fugett Well-Known Member

Their website has shown many current production models as out of stock or only available in one or two colors for weeks now. I have plenty of every style I wanted but it does concern me that restocking is taking so long. I bought every one I have in black and would like to go back and get a few in orange but none I want have been in stock in orange. When they are shown as in stock the speed at which they arrived to me may have a lot to do with proximity as I can drive there in just over an hour.

3. Gambit

Gambit New Member

Guys, I am new here. Can someone recommend me a good one to buy for start?

4. MakoPat

MakoPat Veteran Member

SimpleShot Scout LT with the clips.
    You can figure out which shooting style is for because of the universal attachment and save some cash...instead of buying bunch of styles frame to figure it out.

It can be used with tubes and flats...etc...

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  5. richnewm

richnewm Veteran Member

A Natural fork is a great place to start however if you want to part with some cash, SimpleShots Scout allows for OTT and TTF banding as does the Wasp Uniphox, both are great starter frames .... whatever you choose enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  6. Gambit

Gambit New Member

Thanks for the advice! Ordered this one. They told it is good for rabbits, squirrels, etc. I' d like to know which ammo is preferable for hunting, as I am just learning on glass marbles, but guess they're not for hunting. Please, give me a link to the ammo thread

7. richnewm

richnewm Veteran Member

I’m sure any hunters on the community would have a better knowledge than I would on Ammo choices, one thing I would say is before you even contemplate hunting a live animal ensure your accuracy is on point, you owe it to the game to despatch them quickly and humanely and if you can’t do that you shouldn’t really be hunting with a slingshot

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gambit

Gambit New Member

I understand that, do not worry. I wanted but decided not to ask how much time it takes to become more or less accurate. But thanks again

9. richnewm

richnewm Veteran Member

Everyone is different there’s no hard and fast rules just practice and enjoy

10. MakoPat

MakoPat Veteran Member

@Gambit

The time is shorter if you can consistently practice. I recommend 2 short sessions daily...at close range until you are very comfortable at shredding the target.

Then move back.

Also start with a big target with a small bull. This helps you track and adjust the misses while learning to aim small, miss small.

Here is a link- https://www.slingshotcommunity.com/

The guy who wrote is of questionable ilk, but the responses are by good people.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  11. ragebot

ragebot New Member

Noobie alert.

I saw a vid on youtube that suggested beginners should buy a Simpleshot Scout and a Pocketpreditor HTS; with the warning that the HTS might have delays in arriving. I was so impressed by the vid I ordered both. The thing is the HTS arrived on Monday and the Scout arrived on Tuesday which kinda shocked me. Not to mention the HTS had 50 steel balls and the bands were tied on while the Scout required the bands be tied on by the buyer; something that is quite easy to do given the design. I also got a quick email response from Pocketpreditor with shipping information while Simpleshot sent me a machine generated response with a tracking number saying it had been shipped; but when I went to the USPS site their message was that a shipping label had been generated but the package had not arrived yet.

In both cases I was more than happy with how fast shipping was and have no problem with either company. What I would point out is that the HTS fits my hand like a glove and I love the way it feels. The Scout is not uncomfortable but does not feel as natural as the HTS. But, and this is a big but, this is my hand and not the hand of every other beginner. I may well buy more slingshots down the road and would have no issue ordering from Pocketpreditor or Simpleshot. But again I point out that what fits my hand may not fit someone else's hand; so my advice is try and find someone with a slingshot you are considering and see how it feels in your hand.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  12. charles galvano

charles galvano New Member

This was my first and still edc i love them i have the lt as well still epic

13. JTslinger

JTslinger Veteran Member Staff Member Moderator

I held a few HTS frames, but do not find them that comfortable. I really like the Scout, especially the LT. I have large hands, but still could not get along with the HTS. I will say that I respect both Bill and Nathan.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  14. OldGuy

OldGuy Member

A beginners perspective. Started with a clinch grip, purchased a pinch grip model (Axiom Ocularis), then a hammer grip (Hammer with LT fork). The point. As a beginner not sure which grip I prefer. Also not knowing if I prefer OTT or TTF. Now I know. TTF & pinch grip. Hindsight should have purchased the Scout with X flip clips as the first slingshot. From what I understand it is versatile. Can shoot a number of different grips and either OTT or TTF. Love my Axiom, but still thinking about the Scout XT.

15. Can Vandal

Can Vandal New Member

A lot of great comments above! And I want to first say that I totally agree that the Scout XT is a great first slingshot. I personally prefer the Scout LT. I think it offers more accessories and personalization. It is sized to accommodate most shooters and also can be banded OTT or TTF as well. It comes in at a lower price point and can be suited with palm swells or without.

16. George Blass

George Blass New Member