Beginner again after a long break | The Slingshot Community Forum

Beginner again after a long break

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ED241, Jan 13, 2022.

1. ED241

ED241 New Member

Hello.

Many years ago as a boy I used to make small slingshots, very primitive. Then I improved them a bit but stopped for many years. Now I am beginning again. I have a wooden one, just basic. That can be used for target practice at 30 to 50 feet. I got a metal slingshot recently that looks like it is for pros. I was thinking, what is the maximum distance for approximate shooting? Can I buy special rubber bands that allow me to shoot quite far, such as 300 feet up to 350 feet? And what is the accuracy I can expect at such distance with good equipment? One reason is I want to scare large predatory birds away from my land in order to protect smaller birds and animals that nest and breed there. I am not really wanting to hunt but to scare the predators away. Even a pro slingshot with one band will not be very efficient beyond 90 feet or so. This is a problem for me and I am sure some of you can give me some pointers. All the best to you.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 3
  2. Devils son in law

Devils son in law Veteran Member

You may not be accurate at 90 feet but your intention is to scare predators.

I don't know what you mean by a "pro" slingshot but even with a natural fork, I can whiz a rock every bit of 90 ft. but it depends on the critter whether he'll be spooked.

Welcome back to slinging and I hope you have a blast, I'll usually practice at about 30 feet myself.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 4
  3. SLING-N-SHOT

SLING-N-SHOT Veteran Member

First off, it is the Indian not the arrow…..in other words, you can have the most expensive frame but if you are not adept at using it, you will see no accuracy.

It takes a LOT of practice to be accurate, and I wouldn’t be shooting at any birds until you have that down, otherwise you may inadvertently hit one by mistake while just trying to “scare” then off.

Welcome from Georgia / USA….where I’m from, predatory birds are usually birds of prey, and are protected by law.

Darrell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cruiser

Cruiser Veteran Member

Welcome from Houston.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 5
  5. Peter Recuas

Peter Recuas Veteran Member

Welcome

In this channel you will find what you are looking for, in my experience 4.5mm and 6mm steel ammo are enough to dissuade beasts of any species from long distances.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/1611torsten/videos
    P. D. Professional slingshots do not exist and the number of bands has nothing to do with the speed or distance reached by the projectile.
    P.P.D. The quality / cost of your "equipment" is not a guarantee of anything, only your constant effort, your knowledge and your shooting technique will provide you with good results.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  6. ED241

ED241 New Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. As I am a beginner, it is important to me.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 2
  7. ED241

ED241 New Member

Thanks for your reply. The particular birds I want to scare away are not protected as they are so numerous. That's right, I don't want to kill them, just scare them And yes, the practice is important, I will certainly keep it up.

• Thumbs Up Thumbs Up x 1
  8. ED241

ED241 New Member

Thank you.

9. hoggy

hoggy Active Member

welcome & enjoy

10. StringSlap

StringSlap Veteran Member

Welcome!